remove pop up ads from my S9

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

4MRSCROWE

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
I had the same problem, I just got the phone yesterday after being a 10 year iPhone user, where nothing of the sort happens. After doing everything mentioned in the tips from you all I still had an ad right after the always on display, but before my lock screen. It drove me nuts for about 5 or 6 hours today. Then I decided to start deleting apps that I added today starting with the random ones I never needed before. Ringtones, text tones, and a ringtone maker. Finally, the darn ad is gone. I really want to like this phone, but I'm off to a bad start. But im also irritated with apple and their stupid limitations of things that android users can do easily.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have been using an app called "block-this" for a couple of years and it helps tremendously with pop-ups.
It's not in the store. Download it from block-this.com and install it. I recommend it highly.

Thank you.. this stopped my pop ads in apps

Rishabh Haridas

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
Hello people that are haveing this problem. Take the following steps.
1)Go through you apps and uninstall the apps that are not from trusted sources.

2)If you have installed an APK for an app uninstall it and all of it's files.

3)If there are any apps that asked for a lot of permissions that seem unnecessary uninstall those apps.

4)Run an antivirus/anti-malware program.

5)Do not install apps that put passwords on your apps specifically. These are often Ransom Ware and are very dangerous

6)Go into your app permissions setting and go to apps that are allowed to display over other apps. And remove the non system apps from this list.

7)Factory reset your phone and don't use a back up. You can use your old phone as a reference to see what apps you had and you can download those apps. Don't download sketchy apps or apps that you don't use. I also recommend using a launcher so that your layout is saved for future phones. I personally use Nova launcher and it is really great.

Hope these help and if your problem is gone you don't need to reset your phone.

abarzua21

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
use Malwarebytes. this happened to me last week & it drove me crazy. I downloaded Malwarebytes from the play store & it took out the malicious app causing the Ads

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
i used to get ads virus on website using chrome or Samsung internet browser. it's fake Virus ads
just use Ad blocker on Samsung internet browser.

Tylerpaul6911

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my s9. I would always get 2 pop ups, then after a while 2 more. Always 2.Tried everything, free malware apps etc. Finally I found out how to fix and have not had one ever since. I went into Bixby, then settings, then cards, and turned off foursquare. Hope this helps

Vincent62

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
I get these on my s9 - it looks as though it is the android system sending the popup ads??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180905-091550_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180905-091550_Samsung Internet.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 28

Zhenocnra

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Not sure what kind of popups all of you are getting but mine were as seen below. What everyone else was advising to do didn't work for me so I'll post my solution here. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 8.0.

Screenshot_20181129-141656_Volume Control Widget.jpg

When the ad finally popped back up, I pressed the Recent button (next to Home and Back) to bring up the recent windows. I pressed and held the actual NAME of the ad window where the red arrow points to seen above (NOT the white space) which was "System" in this case. I had to press and hold on the NAME of the window otherwise the system would just say "Drop here for pop-up view". Then the same window gave me the circle with the i (in other words, the informational button) on the top right of the window.

Screenshot_20181129-180850_Volume Control Widget.jpg

I clicked on the circle with the i and it brought me to the app info which (for me) was the Volume Control Widget app from the Play Store. It also changed the name of "System" to the app name Volume Control Widget app but only after I had already opened it with the informational button first.

Obviously now that I know it's the Volume Control Widget app that kept sending me ads, I've turned off notifications for it completely and any other settings that allows it to popup above everything else. If I still get ads, I'll probably just uninstall it and try to find another volume control widget app.

FYI removing one app at a time or "recently updated apps" is a terrible solution. Time for me to go back and reinstall all of my other apps, lol.

edit: Yep, even when turning off all notification and turning off "Apps that can appear on top" the ads still showed up. I've uninstalled Volume Control Widget app. :< Time to look for a new widget app.

Last edited:

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
AdGuard I consider it a must

There’s a thread if not this forum then it’s in Note 9 section Apps to Avoid

Adware is a menace

BKKunz

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what kind of popups all of you are getting but mine were as seen below. What everyone else was advising to do didn't work for me so I'll post my solution here. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 8.0.

View attachment 294797

When the ad finally popped back up, I pressed the Recent button (next to Home and Back) to bring up the recent windows. I pressed and held the actual NAME of the ad window where the red arrow points to seen above (NOT the white space) which was "System" in this case. I had to press and hold on the NAME of the window otherwise the system would just say "Drop here for pop-up view". Then the same window gave me the circle with the i (in other words, the informational button) on the top right of the window.

View attachment 294799

I clicked on the circle with the i and it brought me to the app info which (for me) was the Volume Control Widget app from the Play Store. It also changed the name of "System" to the app name Volume Control Widget app but only after I had already opened it with the informational button first.

Obviously now that I know it's the Volume Control Widget app that kept sending me ads, I've turned off notifications for it completely and any other settings that allows it to popup above everything else. If I still get ads, I'll probably just uninstall it and try to find another volume control widget app.

FYI removing one app at a time or "recently updated apps" is a terrible solution. Time for me to go back and reinstall all of my other apps, lol.

edit: Yep, even when turning off all notification and turning off "Apps that can appear on top" the ads still showed up. I've uninstalled Volume Control Widget app. :< Time to look for a new widget app.
Thanks. That worked for me. TuneInRadio was the culprit on mine.