Report of Moto Turbo Charger (Quick Charge 2.0) on HTC One M8

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Story version:

It works. About 1.75-2.00 times faster. Went 2%-50% in about 25 minutes.

Long version.

Comparison of Moto Turbo to Anker Wall Wart and also BlackBerry Premium Charger 1.8A. Wires used are both the one that came with the Moto Turbo and a premium Monoprice one.

With the standard high quality chargers, I achieved max rate of change of 55-60% and about -1000mA.

With the Moto Turbo, I achieved -2100mA and 100% or more max rate of change. I say "or more" because it looks like the chart on GSAM maxes out at 100%.

The results were duplicated between the Moto Turbo wire and the Monoprice one, so the Moto wire doesn't seem special.

See attached screenshots.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3818.jpg
    3818.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 3830.jpg
    3830.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 140
  • 3831.jpg
    3831.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 3832.jpg
    3832.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 188

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Report of moto turbo charger (quick charge 2.0) on htc one m8

The first three screen shots are with the Turbo. The third one shows how power input rate drops at times. Same happens with the standard chargers.

Last shot is max speed on a standard charger.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised that the phone gets hot. Does it stay hot the entire time, or only when it's fast charging and then cool down during the remaining portions? I wouldn't be too concerned with the heat as long as it's not that hot for long periods of time.

Did the instructions happen to say anything about using on a non-QC2.0 phone? I'm curious if it has the ability to drop to standard charge voltages (I think I read somewhere that QC2.0 is in the 9V range), or just won't activate at all.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm not surprised that the phone gets hot. Does it stay hot the entire time, or only when it's fast charging and then cool down during the remaining portions? I wouldn't be too concerned with the heat as long as it's not that hot for long periods of time.

Did the instructions happen to say anything about using on a non-QC2.0 phone? I'm curious if it has the ability to drop to standard charge voltages (I think I read somewhere that QC2.0 is in the 9V range), or just won't activate at all.

I didn't do a full charge, but I assume it doesn't stay hot. The temp did drop when thencharing got slow, although I'm not sure why charging slowed for a bit anyway. 'll leave it overnight and report back.

The charger indicates that it drops to the lower voltage on QuickCharge 1.0 (which is most phones now?) and "standard". I tested it in my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Tab 4, and it charged normally.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's cool. Thanks for the report.

I know when the phone gets hot, charging current is reduced on normal chargers. Any idea if that is why the charge rage dropped? An app running in the background that decides to suck up a lot of juice could be the reason too.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
That's cool. Thanks for the report.

I know when the phone gets hot, charging current is reduced on normal chargers. Any idea if that is why the charge rage dropped? An app running in the background that decides to suck up a lot of juice could be the reason too.

Could be. But what temp is considered too hot by the phone? I mean if 112°F is required for QC2.0, it shouldn't slow it down when it gets to that temp. At that moment, I was exceeding 2000mA and 100% per hour rate of change. If the phone is overheating with that result, then it doesn't seem well designed to accept a QC2.0 charger.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Gonna restart it to make sure nothing running, then put it on charger for the night. Will report back in AM. Am at 34% now.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe over 100°F is considered getting hot for lithium based batteries. If you try charging it too fast while hot, the additional temperature rise can damage the battery. With QC2.0 being so new, I'm not sure how increased voltage or potential higher temps can effect batteries.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I believe over 100°F is considered getting hot for lithium based batteries. If you try charging it too fast while hot, the additional temperature rise can damage the battery. With QC2.0 being so new, I'm not sure how increased voltage or potential higher temps can effect batteries.

We'll see in the morning. Will let you know if my phone is a melted blob.

Posted via Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
No blob. Charger performed well overnight. Went 30-100% is about an hour and 15 minutes, but looks like to about 85% in 30-40 minutes. Rates of charge >100%/hr, temp around 112°F but dropping as charging slowed.

I am pleased with QC2.0, and this will be my travel charger for quick top ups on the go^^^

Attachments

• 3927.jpg
    3927.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 3928.jpg
    3928.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 58

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. I'll be looking into QC2 for a charger at some point, but waiting for 12V outlet versions to use in my truck since I travel for a living. I only use a wall charger a couple times a week and that's overnight.

allroy75

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Looks pretty impressive. I'm not sure what the hold up has been, I've been waiting for this since I bought my phone in March. Hopefully 12v version comes out soon as well.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Very nice. I'll be looking into QC2 for a charger at some point, but waiting for 12V outlet versions to use in my truck since I travel for a living. I only use a wall charger a couple times a week and that's overnight.

I just use a small DC/AC converter in the car. Ordinary wall chargers always charge faster than car chargers, so I've kept one in the car for years. I found using a car charger with modern slab phones that they usually couldn't keep up when the screen was active. Using GPS usually resulted in a net loss of charge over the course of the trip. A quality wall charger can still provide a positive charge rate when run through a converter.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I just use a small DC/AC converter in the car. Ordinary wall chargers always charge faster than car chargers, so I've kept one in the car for years. I found using a car charger with modern slab phones that they usually couldn't keep up when the screen was active. Using GPS usually resulted in a net loss of charge over the course of the trip. A quality wall charger can still provide a positive charge rate when run through a converter.

Absoutely absurd. Just get a 2A car charger.