Repurpose my M8?

buzard

Sep 29, 2021
Visit site
I finally had to say goodbye to my M8 as my phone. It was just too old old and cranky (a lot like me). How ever I would be happy to use it as a video / music device. What is the best way to root the device now? I've found a lot of really old videos but nothing recent.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
R.I.P M8

I still have mine but not working, ahead of its time , converted to Goggle Play Edition..
Can check XDA forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also had that phone. It was that bright red Verizon special color and one of the best looking phones I ever owned.

As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't bother rooting it. I would keep it as is and simply add the music and videos you want to it, playing with the stock gallery app (or perhaps a third party app). I would also uninstall any bloatware you can to save on storage space.

I'm not sure why you want to root. It doesn't drastically change anything in and of itself. It can allow you to make extra changes that a normal user can't, but I question the necessity of that for your purposes.

buzard

Sep 29, 2021
Visit site
I'm assuming rooting was necessary to remove the bloatware. The battery is really dead. But this appears to be one of the few phones that screws together. And a few connecting ribbon cables and clip on wires. I can get a battery and a few tools for $20. The screen is still pretty good resolution and Dolby stereo, might as well use it for something.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming rooting was necessary to remove the bloatware. The battery is really dead. But this appears to be one of the few phones that screws together. And a few connecting ribbon cables and clip on wires. I can get a battery and a few tools for $20. The screen is still pretty good resolution and Dolby stereo, might as well use it for something.

Rooting would help you get rid of bloatware, but many of those apps can simply be uninstalled normally. I'd also consider keeping the music on an SD card, which means you'll have all the storage you need without rooting.

I'm not sure if I'd bother with the battery. Any replacement battery will be very old stock that is likely to already be bad due to age. I know it'll suck for portability, but no one has made a fresh battery for it for years now.