Resetting phone due to battery issue - logout of Google account first?

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have a Samsung S9 and having horrible battery issues so have decided to factory reset. I haven't done one for quite a while and can't remember the steps I need to take to backup beforehand. Do I need to remove the couple of Google accounts I have on the phone as it ios me who going to be using it rather than selling it on? I have backed up photos, files, contacts and Whatsapp data. Is there anything else I need to do please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't tried wiping the cache partition but have now done so. I have just set it to Safe Mode and will see how that goes over the next hour or so.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that the battery drain is still there in Safe Mode which doesn't seem like a good thing. I ran You Tube for 10 mins in each mode and normal mode lost 8% while Safe mode lost 5%. I don't know if that would be what you would expect though. TBH my phone is a bit cluttered so I probably do need to reset anyway. I'll leave the Google account alone then but do I need to logout of any other accounts like Dropbox or One Drive?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, no need to log out. When you restore the phone and open those apps, they'll prompt you to log back in.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think that the battery drain is still there in Safe Mode which doesn't seem like a good thing. I ran You Tube for 10 mins in each mode and normal mode lost 8% while Safe mode lost 5%. I don't know if that would be what you would expect though. TBH my phone is a bit cluttered so I probably do need to reset anyway. I'll leave the Google account alone then but do I need to logout of any other accounts like Dropbox or One Drive?
Can you show your battery stats in device care?

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Will post the battery stats towards the end of the day here as currently too early to be meaningful. Yes, please to backing up texts. I think I have backed up my Whatsapps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your cell signal is very poor in that screenshot -- is that how it often is? Poor cell signal can drain the battery, even if you're using wi-fi.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately that screenshot was taken at home and the signal is generally poor but then it always has been and my battery has never been this bad before.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try download gsam battery monitor , it shows more information , I dont like the new battery monitor on Samsung with the update in Android 10...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may still be worth tracking the cell signal throughout the day. Who knows, maybe the cell signal at work suddenly got a lot worse? You can track the cell signal using GSam Battery Monitor.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded it and realised that I've used it before for a similar problem on a previous phone! I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes although I am actually at home most of the day so it may not look too different. Thanks for all the help.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Have used GSam all day but it looks as though most of the really useful info can only be seen when you enable more stats but although I've downloaded Minimal ADB as suggested in the app but have been unable to get it to run as I get the message "ADB is not recognised as n internal or external command." Unfortunately, I haven't had any time today to look into this. The battery has again run down very quickly. When I have some free time I will rest it and see what happens after that,

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Have used GSam all day but it looks as though most of the really useful info can only be seen when you enable more stats but although I've downloaded Minimal ADB as suggested in the app but have been unable to get it to run as I get the message "ADB is not recognised as n internal or external command." Unfortunately, I haven't had any time today to look into this. The battery has again run down very quickly. When I have some free time I will rest it and see what happens after that,
Ok keep us posted , another thing I want to mention if that's the orginal battery might be degrading but will see for this after few other things

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Is the cell signal graph no longer accessible? It's been a while since I've used GSam myself, but I recall that it was a basic part of the battery graph.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I got fed up with needing to charge twice during the day and TBH I had way too many apps so reset my phone. I have reinstalled the ones I need and am still having the same problems with the battery. I am going away for a couple of days so will just have to put up with it for a while (luckily I have a battery case!) and try some of your suggestions when I get back. Thanks so much for the support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware