Returning my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

ju12zo

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm taking her back to Best Buy today at lunch and preordering the Asus Transformer Prime. I just can't take a lot of the apps being treated as phone apps because of the resolution, it makes me feel like I bought a $400 giant phone that can't make phone calls. The IR Port/Peel remote app is another feature I bought it for and that's not all that great, my Comcast DVR app feels more useful.

This isn't so much a complaining session, it's a nice piece of hardware but it only feels like a small step above my Vibrant. And I'm not saying I'll dig the Asus either, I don't care for the 10' form factor, but for $100 more I feel like I will be at least getting my moneys worth and feel more current or even next gen.

A review at the Verge said it best.
The 7.0 Plus is better than its predecessor in almost every way - and on par in quality otherwise. In any other case, it really comes down to your needs for a tablet and the 7.0 Plus' $399.99 price tag. Those who just want a media consumption device are probably better off going the Nook or Kindle Fire route for half the price. At just $100 more, the 9.7-inch iPad 2 is still the undisputed champion in this realm.

It's an in-betweener. Does anybody feel this way? Maybe not for the Asus but maybe the 7.7 or even and iPad2. I've plunked down the cash already, so I don't feel like I'll be spending much more to get what I truly want.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the Asus Transformer (with dock) and it's damn near perfect ... fast, versatile, and generally a joy to use. I'm tempted by the Prime, of course, but there's no compelling reason to upgrade especially since ICS will roll out to the Transformer pretty soon.

That said, I also have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and use it almost as often as the TF. Yes, it's a 'tweener device but it really shines when the 10 inch tablet is just too big for those occasional reading / checking email / browsing / random tinkering / gaming moments.

The Kindle Fire works pretty well for those moments too (I got one for my wife), but falls short of the full Android experience. I just felt too "boxed in" when I played with it (um, I mean set it up for her) so the extra cost for the Tab 7.0 was a necessary bitter pill for me.

iPad 2? Not on my watch :cool:

ravenas

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually find my Transformer works best as a netbook replacement than a full fledged tablet/iPad replacement. The screen is poorer than the iPad and the bezel is just too big. Makes for a bulky device to hold on to while reading, playing games or watching video. But with keyboard dock, the Asus is the best 10" tablet on the market. The Prime tempts me because it will be thinner and lighter, but I'll get ICS on my original Transformer so I'm not in a rush to upgrade.

I do find my Galaxy Tab 7 is an in-betweener device bridging the gap between my 4.5" GalaxySII phone and 10" tablets. But that is a point in its favor. When I'm reading, I really want a bigger device than my 4.5" phone. Yet I find carrying around a 9-10" tablet is just too bulky. My iPad and Transformer end up in my backpack when I travel. The Tab can fit inside my purse which makes it infinitely more accessible when I'm away from home.

I do wish it was $100 less, but it's worth the cost differential to a Nook or Kindle. Those devices aren't worth their $200-250 price.

The issue really is what you use your tablet for.

• If you want to do content creation (document, spreadsheet, presentation, graphics editing), then a bigger 10" tablet is best. The Transformer gets the edge for Office editing because of the chicklet keyboard, but only the Prime will best the iPad for graphics editing due to the screen resolution/clarity.
  • If you want to consume data (i.e. read a lot in apps or on the web) then the smaller 7" tablets are best because they are just big enough to use yet small enough to carry in a pocket.
  • If you want to check messages, listen to music or podcasts, basic PIM functions (calendar, contacts, email), then a 4-4.5" phone is more than sufficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: gdbusby and e-lu

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For me it's about being totally portable. I use my T-Mobile version as my go anywhere devise. While I think the Prime is awesome I can't lug it around in my back pocket. I also read on the Kindle app many hours a week and can't imagine doing that on a 10 inch device. To unwieldy.

sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus

conchchowder

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Does the full-screen fix apply to this unit? The original had an issue with app resolution until you applied the full screen fix and then the resolution is fine. [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasSIA7sexM[/YT]

techandfixies

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
gonna have to agree with curney. i like using my ipad at home but on the go (bicycle,subway,bus, walking), i like having a 7" that can connect to my apple bluetooth keyboard (emailing longform at coffeehouses), something that has autoscroll to read on subways with one hand in crowds, to play some super nintendo via roms, to facebook some (my phone screen is too small) at work and to video skype with friends overseas. sure its like an oversized phone but a tweener has uses for particular people. me saving a few ounces and space in a messenger bag makes a huge difference in my day to day. i'll agree, not for everyone and that transformer prime is one sweet piece of tech. win win either way.

Luvmytab

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I can understand your point. I got my tab for $299 at best buy so that wasn't too bad, I have my iPad for when I want a larger screen. I like being able to drop my tab in my purse and go. My iPad is a bit heavy for that. I like having the option of using both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooli