[ROM] Codename Android

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't see a thread about Codename (at least not for the NS4G) so thought I would ask if anyone has tried it. I flashed it last night, so far, so good. I've been on OiCS forever, but got tired of having some small issues that don't appear to ever be getting fixed, and decided it was time to move on. Off the bat Codename felt a bit more sluggish, but it seems to be getting better as time goes on. Havent been off the charger much so can't comment on battery life yet. Been rock-solid stable thus far. I love the amount of customisability (is that a word?) it has without feeling custom. It all feels perfectly integrated into ICS and you could convince someone it's stock. The only issue I've run into so far is that auto screen brightness doesn't seem to work- it gets stuck on "Death Star firing into your retina" mode even if you cover the light sensor. Aside from that minor glitch, it seems pretty flawless. Worth giving it a shot. I'll report back after I use it for a full day at work today if anything changes.

Reactions: whippingboy

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Codename Android?

I run it, paired with SG-NS-ICS kernel, and I love it. Very stable, excellent battery life, and very useful customizations. I haven't experienced "Death Star" mode for the screen backlight, maybe because I'm using a different kernel. You may want to play with the Automatic Backlight settings (under Interface) to see if you can tune up the behavior, too.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Codename Android?

Its my ROM of choice...

I've been running CND (Code Name Android) for a few weeks now and it gets better with each build.

Running it with Matr1x kernel.

@bullfrog, I changed the thread title to [ROM] Codename Android so it stands out a little better.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm also using this ROM with matr1x v16 kernel. Best one yet... Try reflashing it. I have no issues with the auto brightness.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well after a good day at work being used about normally I can happily report that it was totally stable and worked fantastic. Performance improved noticeably throughout the day which I'll chalk up to the cache rebuilding. Still can't make auto brightness work, but I'll call that a fluke and I can live with it until I flash the next update. So far everything else I've used has been flawless, but haven't tried GPS yet. Battery life pretty decent, but I'm not totally happy with it either. I attribute that to the Kernel though. My batt. life took a nose-dive when Mathkid pulled deep idle out of Matr1x. I really want that back, but all in all I'm VERY happy with this ROM. Great work by the Devs.

On a side note: the KL2 radio has been a big improvement for me as well.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well after a good day at work being used about normally I can happily report that it was totally stable and worked fantastic. Performance improved noticeably throughout the day which I'll chalk up to the cache rebuilding. Still can't make auto brightness work, but I'll call that a fluke and I can live with it until I flash the next update. So far everything else I've used has been flawless, but haven't tried GPS yet. Battery life pretty decent, but I'm not totally happy with it either. I attribute that to the Kernel though. My batt. life took a nose-dive when Mathkid pulled deep idle out of Matr1x. I really want that back, but all in all I'm VERY happy with this ROM. Great work by the Devs.

On a side note: the KL2 radio has been a big improvement for me as well.

Have you read the story at Android Central? Deep Idle has been proven not to do anything for battery life. Lots of data to back it up. Also said the matr1x kernel gives the best battery life of any of the kernels.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've heard that, but with deep idle I could go over a day without a charge, after he took it out, Im back to like half a day or so (before I switched ROMs BTW). Not to say my battery life is bad, because to be honest he does a better job of that than any one, but it was a lot better for me. On the other hand, 16 has been more stable for me than 15 was.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The feature list is so long I can only begin to touch on some things...

Status bar mods.. Clock (on/off, am/pm displayed on/off, position left/center/right, custom colors)

Battery meter mods (different styles, no percents, percents, charging animations)

Power widget control bar mods (pick which widgets you want, bt/wifi/data/music controls/etc...)

Performance tweaks (CPU & other setting for kernel control, various built in scripts)

Launcher mods (number of home screens and various other launcher related tweaks)

Other misc things like disable the boot animation, custom carrier id (where it says Sprint in the pulldown and lockscreen, change that to what you want..)

Think of this ROM basically as an all-in-one ROM,.... They have taken literally every possible mod you have heard of and some you haven't and packed them all into one ROM. The best of Cyanogen tweaks and various custom tweaks... Its really impressive...

Take a look at the link I provided back on page one and look at the dozen or so screen shots provided by the ROM dev and you will see all the ongoing mods this ROM has...

Reactions: junkshow

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I spent well over an hour this morning playing with all the ways you can tweak and customize this ROM, some options I haven't even played with much yet. The most impressive thing is that with the insane amount of options and how much stuff is built in, it still feels very light weight, efficient, and battery friendly. The devs on this really have done an unreal job.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Everything said above plus it's probably as stable as anything you've ever ran on your phone. Also when combined with the matr1x kernel, I get anywhere from 20-24 hours of battery life on a single charge with 4-5.5 hours of it with the screen turned on surfing the web and these forums.

Today I'm @23 hours since last charged 4.25 screen on time, 5 text messages, 2 30 minute phone calls, at least 2 hours on these forums and 1 hour of MP3 music playing. I'd say that's pretty good reason in itself to try this ROM.

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I took Skunkapes advise and just flashed it last night. I am blown away with this ROM, and i only feel like i have scratched the surface on what it can do, I need to flash the matr1x kernal tonight. All I know is that I have been rooted for a little over a week and I am not sure why it took me so long. I will never go stock again :)

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Oddly enough, my battery life suddenly got better today. I mean a LOT better. Not as good as I was getting a couple weeks ago and went over 60 hours on a charge, but it was a really drastic jump. The ROm has gotten really buttery smooth as well. Other than the odd auto brightness thing (it dimmed the screen for about 2 seconds once) it's literally flawless.

I do wish they would get the LED light thing working, and add the tethering toggle option to the status bar, but honestly, I wish I had flashed this ROM a lot sooner. They've done a truly remarkable job. Google or Samsung need to hire these guys, along with Mathkid.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Still up in the air on this rom vs. dooder. Had some lag issues earlier today. Love the features. Favorite one is customized carrier name on lock screen and pull down. If I ever loose my phone, people will know who's it is.

This needs Torch built in though. I miss this a lot from CM7. I use it ALL the time.

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I do wish they would get the LED light thing working, and add the tethering toggle option to the status bar, but honestly, I wish I had flashed this ROM a lot sooner. They've done a truly remarkable job. Google or Samsung need to hire these guys.

You can edit which widgets are in the notification drawer. Under Settings->Interface->Notification Widgets (it isn't just a toggle).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George Brian