ARCHIVED: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, I installed the Full-erase version and for some reason the kernel did not get installed.

That's why the ext3 was not working. The stock kernel works fine with Link2SD using Fat32.

Anyway, I went back and flashed just the kernel and now it's happy. Installed setcpu and all seems to be working fine. Will have to see how the battery usage looks like tomorrow.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I installed the Full-erase version and for some reason the kernel did not get installed.

That's why the ext3 was not working. The stock kernel works fine with Link2SD using Fat32.

Anyway, I went back and flashed just the kernel and now it's happy. Installed setcpu and all seems to be working fine. Will have to see how the battery usage looks like tomorrow.

Tested after your post, I was the one he originally made the full wipe for, and I had the same problem. The first time it worked for me I must have had the kernel still there from the previous time I had tried using his rom/kernel. I also had to go back in and flash the kernel separately. Weird. But Obijohn is fast with his replies and/or fixes so I'm sure he will be looking into it. :)

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Tested after your post, I was the one he originally made the full wipe for, and I had the same problem. The first time it worked for me I must have had the kernel still there from the previous time I had tried using his rom/kernel. I also had to go back in and flash the kernel separately. Weird. But Obijohn is fast with his replies and/or fixes so I'm sure he will be looking into it. :)

Ok, pretty sure this is still an issue related to the way the recoveries are wiping and installing boot.img. In that "full wipe" update zip, it does indeed fully wipe data, system, and cache, and it does so by formatting them. I didn't format boot (which is where the kernel is installed) because the update zip tells the recovery to "raw write" the included boot.img to the boot mtd point. Here's what I think is happening here. The included boot.img is around 3.5MB. If you do a dump of mtd0 (where the kernel lives) it will be over 7MB. The "raw write" only writes to the first 3.5MB of boot since that's all the boot.img is.

I'm going to update the "full wipe" install to include a quick format of boot before installing the new boot.img. That should fix this issue.

Look for a new kernel and ROM tomorrow, with some updated install instructions and a superwipe.zip (there seems to be a lot of confusing now with ROMs and kernels not working as a result of mixing the new V-source kernels with ROMs made to work with the older kernels).

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Awesome can't wait. Updates are always greatly appreciated. :) It wasn't a big issue for me flashing the wipe install and then the kernel again. Only takes me an extra 30 seconds and that's life time lost I can certainly deal with.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
At 600/806 with mostly 3G, I am using about 6-7%/hour. About same as the stock.

Very stable. No crashes. Nice with added speed. With Link2SD, I have 95MB free after loading 85 apps.

Thank you Obi. Look forward to new version and hope there may be some battery usage improvements.

kba712

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
data2ext4

Obijon could you provide data2ext4 support in the next version similar to the mod posted by takenover83..It will be awesome to use this with rhodimus with data2ext4. Thank you soo much :)

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Obijon could you provide data2ext4 support in the next version similar to the mod posted by takenover83..It will be awesome to use this with rhodimus with data2ext4. Thank you soo much :)
It needs init.d support, and the binaries too (the rom your using the kernel with) for checking/creating/tuning ext file systems. After you have that, it's pretty straight forward to install apps2ext.

Edit: Here is the original thread where we figured it out. I shared the files there.

Last edited:

bornagainpenguin

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Look for a new kernel and ROM tomorrow, with some updated install instructions and a superwipe.zip (there seems to be a lot of confusing now with ROMs and kernels not working as a result of mixing the new V-source kernels with ROMs made to work with the older kernels).

I'm one of those people doing the mixing and matching. I'm currently using the RodimusRom with the bumblebee kernel and the Black and White theme--so far so good (though I did have some issues at a friend's house with their WiFi) and Link2SD with the original MicroSD card. I more or less just got everything set up the way I like it now.

My question is whether it will be possible for me to update the kernel without having to wipe everything and start over again?

Thanks for your time and for the kernel!

--bornagainpenguin

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So, I ended up with about 8%/hour battery usage which is about what stock Rom was doing.

I noticed that I am losing the free memory. After a reset, I have about 310M of RAM but as the day goes by it keeps on shrinking and I end up below 240M even after clearing the tasks. It looks like something is not cleaning up after itself.

Is this a problem with the ROM or is it from Link2SD? Anyone else losing free memory slowly?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So, I ended up with about 8%/hour battery usage which is about what stock Rom was doing.

I noticed that I am losing the free memory. After a reset, I have about 310M of RAM but as the day goes by it keeps on shrinking and I end up below 240M even after clearing the tasks. It looks like something is not cleaning up after itself.

Is this a problem with the ROM or is it from Link2SD? Anyone else losing free memory slowly?

From what I understood from LeslieAnn, the stock battery issue is because of the wifi scan rate. Try running this from adb shell or terminal emulator after every boot:

setprop wifi.supplicant_scan_interval 60

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

ext4 is supported in the kernel. The command-line utilities for manipulating, formatting, fsck-ing, etc, are not right now (they will be in the next version, which should be the first part of next week). However, you can create the ext4 partition in recovery, then create an init.d script to mount it. I've added support for init.d in the current release. You want to call mount with vold so that it is cleanly unmount on shutdown:
Code:
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/179:2 /sdcard/sd-ext
or wherever you want to set the mount point to be.

I don't know if it's your battery or the apps/widgets you are running, but I'm getting much better battery life than that, around 3-4% when I'm actually using the phone, closer to 1% when it's idle but data-connected. Pull up Running Services and take a look, there might be something running you didn't realize. Do you have Skype installed? If so, there's your problem right there. It will slam your battery even if you sign out, kill the background service, and force stop the app. It refuses to let go of the sensors for some reason. Wow. Just a vile abomination of an app, really. Worst behaved piece of software I've ever seen.

You might also want to check and see if you've got the TWS bug. It affects some people and not others. There is a framework patch that's supposed to address the issue, but I'm still testing it.

I haven't noticed it at all, but I will see if something is going on. As you run apps, they will create temporary files and log files, sometimes not on /sdcard, so when you reboot those are gone and you've got more memory.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh... I bet it's Skype. Even though I am not running it, it's installed. I will get rid of it and see how the battery usage looks like tomorrow.

As for the memory leak, I got rid of SetCPU and that seems to have helped. I don't know if it was the program or something else related but now I can manage free memory with task killers.

As for the new kernel, can I flash on top of the current setting without clearing?

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
[*] Removed to save space: Non-english language TTS files; DroidSansFallback which is a CJK font (and huge); long music ringtones and music alarms (notifications and short alarms/ringtones are not removed); some internal LG diagnostic sound files. I can post a zip with these files if anyone needs them.
If you could, that'd be great. I actually just want a few of the ringtones...is it easy to selectively load what I want, or is it an all-or-nothing kind of thing?

And do you know if Asian language display depends on that one font, or are there other system fonts that will display Chinese/Japanese correctly?

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
As for the memory leak, I got rid of SetCPU and that seems to have helped. I don't know if it was the program or something else related but now I can manage free memory with task killers.

SetCPU does not run in the background. The frequency governors are part of the kernel, and all SetCPU does is change the kernel settings for which governor to use and the frequency range.

I don't think you're seeing a "memory leak", I think you're just seeing memory fluctuate by the processes running in the background. Market, Music, Places, Maps... all that stuff continues to run in the background, not to mention widgets. But, as I said, it will fluctuate. I'm currently showing 20MB more free RAM than I did last night.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
If you could, that'd be great. I actually just want a few of the ringtones...is it easy to selectively load what I want, or is it an all-or-nothing kind of thing?

And do you know if Asian language display depends on that one font, or are there other system fonts that will display Chinese/Japanese correctly?

I'll post them as a regular non-flashable zip, so that you can just pick and choose (you can put the ringtones on the sdcard and they will be seen by the system).

As for the font, check the Comics section in the market. If you see some kanji characters you don't need it. But I will post this as well when I post the ringtones in case anyone needs it. I'll update the first post with these files later today.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Here is the ringtones and sounds (everything from system/media), someone else had requested it for Aphrodite.

This is not a flashable format, extract it and place it on your sdcard, then link your tones to it, or put them in manually.

audio.rar

Edit: Corrected link

Last edited:

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Right, which is why I limited it to 768 unless set higher by the user. I haven't heard of anyone having problems at that speed, but I can reduce it if people report the problem.
I've gotten hands on with 4 Optimus V's. One can do 825Mhz stable, the other three can only do 748Mhz stable. Unfortunately, mine is one of the latter. :( It'll work fine when I'm doing stuff I think would work the CPU such as Angry Birds, but it'll just randomly reboot when I'm doing remedial things. I've tried both Performance and Interactive with 480 and 600 min.

768 is fine as a default setting though, as it's a good starting point that shouldn't keep any Optimus V from not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky