[ROM] VaelPak 3.0 [12/20/10] - NonSense - [HTC 2.6.32.17#15][FPSU] - 3.70.651.1 OTA

dysrhythmic

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
TitaniumBackup shows that I can install it as well. However, when I try to uninstall, nothing happens. I want to uninstall it so I can update Swype to the newest version (2.15 according to VaelPack settings).

I am also rooted using unrevoked, if it makes any difference.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
So I don't know if there is anything to this or not yet. I have had 2 reports of batteries dying while using an SBC kernel.

In both cases, they worked fine initially, and after about a week started to charge very slowly. In one case it got to 30% and just died. In the other it got to about 57% and then started discharging, then just died.

This could be an issue with the kernel, it could be poorly designed batteries that failed when actually charged to capacity, it could be random flukes, I don't know. But be warned as VP 3.0 comes with an SBC kernel in it.

I am going to continue to use the SBC myself and see what happens. If you don't want to take any chances, I highly recommend flashing a non-SBC kernel right away.

Seeing lots of reports of SBC kernels killing batteries. And a flame war thread on XDA.

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
4G Internet Browser Issues

I have been using this ROM for a few days and aside from the poor battery life (I am now experimenting with different kernels), the only issue that I have encountered is poor browser performance when connected to 4G. When loading a page, the browser progress bar will show about 75% progress, then typically stall for a few minutes. Sometimes the page finishes loading in pieces, other times it will not load at all. I have tried the stock browser and Dolphin HD, and had the same experience with both. I have cleared the browser cache, history, cookies, etc. The browsers download content without issue when connected to 3G and WIFI. It seems like every other program works as it should when 4G is enabled -- I get high transfer speeds using speedtest and fast D/Ls using other internet-based programs, like Picasa.

Anyone else experiencing any similar issues? Any suggested fixes? This is obviously not a huge problem, but more of a minor annoyance.

sincityk9

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have had no problems at all with this rom
This is my first custom rom
Do I need to turn off gps, 4g, etc like we did with stock sence? If so I can't find an easy way to get to them like on stock. Any ideas, thanks.

vaelek

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
By default 4G should be off but GPS will be on.

Using built-in methods, to toggle each
4G: Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks
GPS: Go to Settings > Location

As to the Browser slowness.. I've heard of this on 4G but I don't have 4G in my area so I can't do anything to reproduce and test it. You could try updating your profile. That's about all I have to offer unfortunately.

dysrhythmic

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
TitaniumBackup shows
that I can install it as well. However, when I try to uninstall, nothing happens. I want to uninstall it so I can update Swype to the newest version (2.15 according to VaelPack settings).

I am also rooted using unrevoked, if it makes any difference.

I figured out how to install Swype 2.15.

1) uninstall Swype 2.7 with TitaniumBackup (regular uninstall, not Force Uninstall)
2) use Root Explorer to search for and delete any traces if Swype (i had to delete a dalvik file and libSwypecore.so)
3) restart phone and install Swype 2.15

Hope this helps anyone having trouble updating the latest Swype with Vaelpack.

Last edited:

trickyice

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
GPS Status Icon

Hey Vael,

First -- thanks for all of your hard work; you can't imagine the enjoyment you've brought back to my phone! I rooted last week, and after trying about 6 ROMs, I've come back to yours as my new standard. Battery life so far is head and shoulders above stock! Thought I'd miss Sense...but I don't at all! :) I do have a few questions that I was hoping you could answer...

Question 1: Could you create a flashable zip to enable the GPS status icon but only when GPS is on? I've been scouring the web for an easy fix, and I tried flashing a few files, services.jar was one of them, that are supposed to do this, but I think it interferes with a few other things. I wound up in an endless loop, so I reapplied your ROM...etc.

Question 2: I wanted to play with some of your transitions, but I don't like the circle battery indicator...is there a simple fix that I can apply after the transition patch to bring back your default battery indicator?

Thanks again for everything, and I hope your new year is starting off well!

--

happyjoy

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am totally new here, but I want to say that this is the first Non Sense rom that I actually like enough to keep. Thanks for making what is so far an awesome rom that I will use for a while.
Only problem I have is that i can not uninstall unwanted apps like the Sprint Navigation and Sprint Hotspot. There are a couple others, but those are the ones I remember. I can use Titanium Backup and it will let me select to uninstall them and TB tells me it was uninstalled, but they are actually still on my phone and usuable. Any suggestions?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am totally new here, but I want to say that this is the first Non Sense rom that I actually like enough to keep. Thanks for making what is so far an awesome rom that I will use for a while.
Only problem I have is that i can not uninstall unwanted apps like the Sprint Navigation and Sprint Hotspot. There are a couple others, but those are the ones I remember. I can use Titanium Backup and it will let me select to uninstall them and TB tells me it was uninstalled, but they are actually still on my phone and usuable. Any suggestions?

Have you tried rebooting your phone. Sounds to me like the icons were just left.

Sent From My "Salvage Evo" Using Tapatalk

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure I should probably ask these questions somewhere else, but I was reading this thread and would really like to try out rooting my phone to install this particular ROM. So I wanted to ask a couple quick questions that hopefully someone can answer.

I have downloaded the "un-root" pcimg file to my SD card to unroot my phone and bring it back to factory settings (I downloaded it from XDA developers).

My main question is if I try this process to root my phone and install this ROM, if I ever want to just bring it totally back to factory settings is all I have to do is boot into the loader screen and run that un-root update? Will that always work?

And, if so, does that include my RSA keys or whatever they are called for my 4G radio? I read somewhere about backing those up, because if they are lost or destroyed you cannot get them back. Would that update to bring the phone back to factory settings fix those if I ran it?

Finally, I've read that there are multiple ways to root your phone, and most of the literature says to avoid using unrevoked, is this correct? One method I read about said to use the bridge from my cpu to the phone and type commands into a c: prompt. Is this the preferred method? Once I root using that method I could then install this ROM?

To install the ROM into a rooted phone do you just transfer the file for the ROM onto your SD card and run it?

Any links to these specific methods (that are preferred) would be greatly helpful. It is sometimes difficult to weed through all these different threads.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I guess since no one has answered yet I'll ask this question also.

If those RSA keys were to get messed up and you couldn't restore them, and even the pcimg file that restores it to factory settings doesn't fix them...then couldn't you still bring it to the Sprint store and get it replaced? If you restore it to factory settings but the 4G isn't working wouldn't they just replace it?

Not to mention, if you have the insurance won't they replace it for anything?

I just want to clarify.

Thanks again.

All your questions need to be in the right place,asking in a rom development thread is not the right place please direct all question/comments to this thread. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...ide-rooting-3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots.html

ok im still new to this stuff but i have asked and read a bunch of stuff on the "PREFERED" method of rooting..... just ask ur self do u want a "one-click" root or do you want to spend the time and do it the other way.. alot of people on here say that unrevoked will mess you up but look at the dates they posted its been awhile... i used the new unrevoked 3.3 and have had no problems flashing roms... just follow the guides and u will be ok.... WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE lol ..... oh and search for "thefredelement" guide on rooting his has pics of the step by step

Thank you for helping but next time please just post a link to the proper thread for their questions.

Sorry veal for hi-jacking ill come back and clean the last few posts just want to make sure he sees the info/links first.

Z4T

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for posting my question in the wrong place. There really was no bad intent, and I figured I should probably ask somehwere else, but for new people like me and many others, they may not know there is an etiquette for asking questions.

Can I ask this one here: Are there instructions for flashing to this particular vaelpak rom? Is the zip file that is attached on this thread just the rom, or is it the entire rooting file and rom?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Z4T

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Also - does this vaelpak zip file have the kernals needed built into it? Or do I get those somewhere else? Or do I even have to do anything with kernals?

Thanks in advance.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for posting my question in the wrong place. There really was no bad intent, and I figured I should probably ask somehwere else, but for new people like me and many others, they may not know there is an etiquette for asking questions.

Can I ask this one here: Are there instructions for flashing to this particular vaelpak rom? Is the zip file that is attached on this thread just the rom, or is it the entire rooting file and rom?

Thanks.

No biggie just wanted you to go where the right info was.The link attached to the first post is to this particular vaelpak rom. You must have root and custom recovery to install.The rom won't root your phone for you but it will keep your if flashed after rooting and custom recovery.

Also - does this vaelpak zip file have the kernals needed built into it? Or do I get those somewhere else? Or do I even have to do anything with kernals?

Thanks in advance.

When you flash a rom the kernel is already in the rom.zip. You don't have to do anything with the kernel unless you want to,but vael probably has this all set up for the best performance the way it is when flashed.

As to the question about the proper way to install/flash,I don't see them listed on the first post so vael can you please add those.
How you normally flash a rom
download rom
place on sdcard (not in any file)
reboot into recovery
make nadroid backup
wipe data,dalvik,cache
flash the rom,reboot.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
i installed this rom, and it has been stuck on the baelpak remastered thing for about 10 mins, is there anything i could do or should i flash something else?

If you have adb set up on your pc open command prompt and type
adb logcat
if it's printing out a bunch of stuff it's still loading,if not reboot into recovery and try wiping just cache if that doesn't do it wipe everything and reflash.