Rooted...now what

mojosodope_2

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm rooted....what do I do? I know with my iPhone I used cydia to make changes to my phone. But, what does I use for android?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Now that I'm rooted....what do I do? I know with my iPhone I used cydia to make changes to my phone. But, what does I use for android?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

What do you want to do to your phone? No sense in just changing it around for the sake of changing it.

You can use root apps now. So that means any app that makes you use elevated permissions to give you features unavailable before will now work.

Titanium Backup for backing up apps
ad blocking software

That's about all I use root for. I unlocked to be able to install a custom recovery which will let me install custom ROMs and kernels.

Rooting is easy but I suggest you read one of the stickies on hacking and ROMing before you make that jump. This is one area that you can't do on iOS and the main reason most of us bought a Nexus device. If you do something wrong you'll end up with a nice N7 that won't boot until you take the time to go through a full restore process. It's hard to completely break but it's not hard to mess up something and have to spend some time and headaches restoring it. It's even more unnerving when you haven't done that before so do your homework before doing anything past rooting.

Rooting = jailbreaking in the iOS world but that's only the tip of the ice berg in Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp