Rooted, Now what?

munnin42

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I just successfully rooted and unlocked my Gnex. Thanks to Wugs!
Now what do I do?

I am on Verizon and I want the latest Android version KitKat or even the newer Jelly Bean...How do I go about doing this?

Also as far as customizing things like the UI, I have always used a replacement launcher and was wondering if that is still okay now that am I rooted or is there a ROM or I can use or something?

I rooted to help with my incredibly poor battery life and wanted to do something about the stupid media server bug.

I am not very smart and I need things explained to me in simple terms if at all possible. Thanks!

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
A ROM can be better (or worse) for battery life, depending on what you want and which ROM you chose. I've run SlimRom (4.3 based), CM aka Cyanogenmod (4.2, 4.3, and now 4.4 based). I've also tried Android Open Kang Project aka AOKP. Each ROM has pros and cons. Some offer more customization as far as the UI and also add extra features.Others ROMs have been stripped down to the bare minimum to allow for better battery life -- but I find these to be less stable (prone to crashes/reboots) and not nearly as interesting to use day-to-day.

If you're new to flashing ROMs there are a number of how-to instructional that will explain it better then I can. I will give you a basic run-down though, so you have an idea what you're getting into.

Download your ROM of choice to your computer. It should be a .zip file (I always keep different ROMs on my hard drive). Also download the correct GAPPS file. This will also be a .zip file. The creator of the ROM should provide a link to the correct GAPPS.
Connect your phone to your PC and copy the .zip to the internal storage on your phone. It's also a good idea at this point to copy any files (music, movies, documents, etc) to your hard drive for safe keeping, because you will be wiping your data and you will loose it if you don't.
Reboot to recovery
Make a NAND. Fancy name for a backup. I generally don't but I don't mind doing a setup on my phone. I should though, and it would have saved my a$$ a number of times. So do it, it will save you later!
Do a full wipe. This includes Data, Cache, and Dalvik Cache.
While still in recovery, flash/install your ROM, and the GAPPS.
Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache again.
Reboot.

Everyone will tell you and I'll tell you too.... let the device fully boot up. It can take up to 10 minutes sometimes, so be patient. From here you set up the phone just like you did when you first got it.

Personally I really like CM 11, but if you're new to flashing ROMs I'd stay with CM 10 because they are a more stable build with fewer bugs. I also really like Action Launcher, altough I also really like Apex Pro launcher.

From now on, the world is your oyster. Keep a "clean" NAND on your computer at all times just in case things go bad -- and sooner or later they will!. By a clean NAND I mean factory stock but rooted (no ROM installed). If you have that, and WUGS you can pretty much get your phone working no matter how bad you think it's screwed up.

OK enough rambling. If I'm wrong on a point or 2 I'm sure someone will come along and correct me. The biggest thing is to read lots and do lots of research. Flashing ROMs on a Nexus is simple once you get the hang of it. At my worst I'd flash 3 different ROMS a week, or more!

munnin42

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! I will make the NAND right now, and look into CM 10, that's the ROM I always hear about...

I'm a little confused on how it works though, how do I flash the ROM once I do all the other steps? I'm sorry I'm dumb. Thanks again!

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
can you tell me how you got Wug's toolkit to work still? The version I have doesn't seem to support my version of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I don't see it as a listed device.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the Verizon version, I have the GSM version. I thought Wugs supported all Nexus. Hmmm....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
i figured it out. did a factory reset, etc. now my SMS is stuck because I restored all my messages and it can't seem to process that. Can't delete them either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey