Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ass!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I rooted the other day with ace hack kit, and couldn't believe how easy it was. The key is to do it through Ubuntu live CD. The real fun begins when you flash a custom ROM. Since it wipes your phone you have to reinstall everything.:mad: I have like 150 apps! Even with restoring from Titanium backup, you have to install them all one by one, and then move them all back to the SD card. It took me like 2 hours, and almost all my battery.:'( I wish there was an easier way to do it. If anyone knows, please pass it on.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If you buy the key for Titanium, making it pro, you can batch backup and restore. There are also apps in the market that will batch move your apps to the SD card.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting is easy, it's flashing a rom that's a pain in the ass

If you buy the key for Titanium, making it pro, you can batch backup and restore. There are also apps in the market that will batch move your apps to the SD card.

I did use batch. It works on the free version, too. Doing the batch restore, as it goes through the process, the screen pops up to install or cancel for each app, same as when you first install an app. Does it not work that way in the paid version?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I did use batch. It works on the free version, too. Doing the batch restore, as it goes through the process, the screen pops up to install or cancel for each app, same as when you first install an app. Does it not work that way in the paid version?

No. It restores one after the other without any user interaction required. The free version still has batch mode, but it is crippled.

Reactions: pazzo02

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, I'll try it before the next ROM I flash. Is there any way you know of getting around the app2SD problem?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try it before the next ROM I flash. Is there any way you know of getting around the app2SD problem?

Search the market. I don't use one, but I know there are apps in the market that do batch as well. It will pull up a list of the apps that are available to move to SD, you check off the ones you want to move, and it will move them as a batch without any interaction required.

oldescript

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I use App2SD Pro...it's on the Market and Amazon App Store

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
U don't have to wipe data with every rom you flash...

No you don't, but it is highly recommended. The only time I wouldn't wipe data is if I were upgrading to a newer version of the same rom. And even in some cases of doing such, the dev recommends wiping with some upgrades, especially if he is changing to a different base.

Youngunn

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
No you don't, but it is highly recommended. The only time I wouldn't wipe data is if I were upgrading to a newer version of the same rom. And even in some cases of doing such, the dev recommends wiping with some upgrades, especially if he is changing to a different base.

True.

racer2348

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Newbie question.....rooted the same way he did the other day as well. Do I have to flash a new radio everytime I flash a Rom, or can I keep the stock radio I have? Planning to flash coredroid later is that a Rom that's highly recommended?

Youngunn

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Newbie question.....rooted the same way he did the other day as well. Do I have to flash a new radio everytime I flash a Rom, or can I keep the stock radio I have? Planning to flash coredroid later is that a Rom that's highly recommended?

Coredroid is solid. No you don't have to flash radios everytime. I still use the ota froyo radio cuz it's always worked the best. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Search the market. I don't use one, but I know there are apps in the market that do batch as well. It will pull up a list of the apps that are available to move to SD, you check off the ones you want to move, and it will move them as a batch without any interaction required.

App2SD does do that. I am using the pro version. The big problem is that I have more apps than will fit on internal storage, so they can't all be reinstalled without interrupting it occasionally to move apps to the SD card. I guess until someone builds a ROM that automatically installs apps directly to the SD card, there's no other way.

Or, if the App2SDPro devs are listening, put a setting in to automatically move apps to SD when they can be. It automatically notifies me every time, so taking the next step to move them automatically should be doable.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

As Youngunn says, if it's working without flashing a radio, why mess with it? If a dev recommends you flash a specific radio to get the full benefits of the ROM, than it's up to you. Just be sure you know what you're doing.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Or, if the App2SDPro devs are listening, put a setting in to automatically move apps to SD when they can be. It automatically notifies me every time, so taking the next step to move them automatically should be doable.

Newer phones have a decent amount of internal memory, so in the future the app may not be necessary. Granted, lots of people still have time before the 2 year contract is up, so it is a good app for now.

Also, I have a few apps that stop working if I move them to SD, so I have to ignore some of the APP2SD requests. So always moving the app to SD is not the best idea.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Okay, let me rephrase that slightly. Give me to option to automatically move apps. And yes, 1 GB of internal memory is generous, but Amazon's free app of the day is even more generous. I have over 5 GB of apps on my SD card:eek:

thelewisfamily02

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Which version ubuntu did you use the one in the manual or the newer one? Does it honestly matter which one you use?

coupequatro

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Google "ubuntu live cd". That's what I used. The version number doesn't matter.

Using the Ubuntu live CD do you have to enter the pa$$ k3y or is that automaticly done ?
or is it pretty obvious during the process, I plan on trying it this weekend, am still reading and researching :)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Unless attn1 changed it (it's been months since I rooted) you will still need the passkey when rooting through Ubuntu. It's his way of making sure people read the effin manual, since he went to the trouble of writing it. When you spend enough time in the forums, you see how many peole have obviously not read it through.

Reactions: cyanogen-man

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rschat1020