Rumor: No LTE? Why is that upsetting?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they all have different bands. Honestly we really don't know Google's plans yet. I'm sure that they'll have an unlocked version for the play store but let's face it, the reason the nexus phones never really took off is limited carrier availability. People don't want to pay $350 for a phone, they'd rather just bite on their early upgrade and get a lower price. Sure it's better to buy a phone outright but people in the us really don't care. Me I'm done biting on early upgrades, but I don't speak for everyone.
Hopefully if Verizon and sprint versions come they'll have lte.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm no antenna expert, but antennas are capable of receiving more than one frequency, and can get "tuned" by the receiver for specifics. Since frequency is a wavelength, and antenna design is partially based on the wavelength of the frequency you're trying to receive, it seems that making an interoperable LTE phone for Verizon and AT&T would be pretty simple.

They did it for GSM and CDMA (in the iphone 4S and Qualcomm S4 chips). The issue is deciding to dedicate the TX/RX channels to those frequencies.

It's certainly a solvable problem. I never said it wasn't, however the phones that exist today simply cannot do this. Someday it may happen, but given the history of carriers in the USA, the only interoperable networks+handsets for LTE will likely be T-Mo and AT&T.

Back to the reason I think we won't see LTE in this phone...

T-Mobile still has most of its HSPA+ deployed on AWS spectrum. AT&T has LTE deployed on this spectrum.

Adding LTE on the Nexus (alongside GSM and HSPA+) would be really messy.

The situation will be improving as T-Mo migrates HSPA+ to the PCS spectrum (mimicking the AT&T network) and lights up LTE on AWS (also mimicking AT&T).

Once this reaches a critical mass, we'll likely see an unlocked Play Store Nexus with LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's certainly a solvable problem. I never said it wasn't, however the phones that exist today simply cannot do this. Someday it may happen, but given the history of carriers in the USA, the only interoperable networks+handsets for LTE will likely be T-Mo and AT&T.

Back to the reason I think we won't see LTE in this phone...

T-Mobile still has most of its HSPA+ deployed on AWS spectrum. AT&T has LTE deployed on this spectrum.

Adding LTE on the Nexus (alongside GSM and HSPA+) would be really messy.

The situation will be improving as T-Mo migrates HSPA+ to the PCS spectrum (mimicking the AT&T network) and lights up LTE on AWS (also mimicking AT&T).

Once this reaches a critical mass, we'll likely see an unlocked Play Store Nexus with LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I mostly agree. I still don't think we'll see a truly unlocked LTE phone for a long time. The carriers have no incentive to allow this to happen.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I still don't get what all the fuss is about lte. I've gotten speeds as high as 12 megs on hspa+, that's the same as my home network. And with limited data plans about the only real benefit is bragging rights with speed test screen shots. I have an lte phone, and I chose it over the regular gs2,and in hindsight I regret it. Battery life is horrendous over lte for no noticeable benefits

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I get up to 3mbps w/ HSPA and 40mbps w/ LTE. There is a HUGE difference in my area.

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
+1 this. There is NO reason Google shouldn't be able to do this. No one is saying that Google needs to have ONE phone to sell to everybody to use LTE on ANYONE'S network. Just sell multiple devices on the Play Store and each one works with LTE on the network you want it to work on. Just like Apple does it. Just like Samsung did with the S3.

+1 to the nth power. For me (a person who is currently torn between the Galaxy Note II phablet (sorry, it's too much to not say it) and this next Nexus), LTE & battery are the deciding factors. 2100 mAh battery? The S3 has a similarly sized battery and people don't seem to be too riled up about it. But LTE. Sweet, glorious LTE. VZW and AT&T have full LTE in my area (currently on AT&T, because unlimited data), and if this next Nexus can't support that on the Play Store model, then it's off to the GNote II.

(for those wondering about my position on storage space: name one currently-existing flagship phone today that has less than 16GB of internal storage. Exactly.)