S-21 Ultra restarted in my car while on travel.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Three times total over a period of two days. The third time, early this am, took a long time to restart and I had to keep pushing the on/off button to finally get it moving. All 3 times Waze was on but I was on a cross country drive so Waze was on each day of my drive. I keep it updated as soon as I see one is out and I never scheduled it to download except in the middle of the night. Thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was it pretty warm? Were you using it for nav on a dash mount? That often leads to overheating, which can force a shutdown. If you do use it for nav, it's best to use one of those AC vent mounts, so that cool air is always blowing on it.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Was it pretty warm? Were you using it for nav on a dash mount? That often leads to overheating, which can force a shutdown. If you do use it for nav, it's best to use one of those AC vent mounts, so that cool air is always blowing on it.

While in AZ and NM it was warm but once past that I actually had pleasant weather. My phone sits in a holder that sits in my cup holder which basically sits in front of one of my vents meaning it gets ac directly. I had Waze on the entire time. I believe it did this at least once on our trip out west a few weeks ago as well and 3 times on my trip back.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine this would be temp-related as others have suggested, but just in case, also check the power button (if it's stuck somehow, it can prompt a soft reset after being pressed for a long period of time) and the USB cable you're using (if any) as these can also trigger power actions if faulty/damaged pins.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
If it happens again, check to see how warm the phone feels anyway.

This is the Auto Restart feature the mustang7757 was referring to: www.samsung.com/ph/support/mobile-devices/how-to-auto-restart-your-samsung-galaxy-device/

I completely forgot that the last time it did this was around 4am as I was driving through the mountains of WV on I-64. In the 50's outside and I did not have the heat on. Not sure heat could have caused this one at least. Even the other 2 times were in a vehicle with the AC turned down low and no sun hitting the phone. I'm sure there is an answer but not sure overheating is the issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I completely forgot that the last time it did this was around 4am as I was driving through the mountains of WV on I-64. In the 50's outside and I did not have the heat on. Not sure heat could have caused this one at least. Even the other 2 times were in a vehicle with the AC turned down low and no sun hitting the phone. I'm sure there is an answer but not sure overheating is the issue.

This might also be related to multiple posts we're seeing about Samsung phones (I think all running One UI 4.1) randomly rebooting lately. I wonder if a recent update by Samsung and/or Google might have introduced some bugginess. Send feedback to both Samsung and Google about this.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
This might also be related to multiple posts we're seeing about Samsung phones (I think all running One UI 4.1) randomly rebooting lately. I wonder if a recent update by Samsung and/or Google might have introduced some bugginess. Send feedback to both Samsung and Google about this.

That last update was pretty chunky..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz