S Pen Disconnected Notification

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I vaguely recall a YouTuber (I've watched so many videos recently or I'd try and trace this back...) saying you can set your S22U to notify you when you've left your s pen behind and walked away OR to have it notify you as soon as you lock your screen (which was demonstrated).

How do I set it for the later (notify as soon as you lock the screen without your s pen connected)?

My mom loses her spen fairly often, I'd love to figure that out to set it up when hers arrives tomorrow. The only setting I've seen is in the s pen settings, "warn if s pen is left behind," and it doesn't give me any sub menu/additional options.

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Settings / Advanced Features / S Pen / towards the bottom " Warn if S Pen is Left Behind"
I think that this is all there is...

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It works too. I left my s-pen on the table next to my recliner, went outside to talk to the men in brown, and my phone chirped to let me know I didn't have the S-pen.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I have the basic setting on but I was intrigued by how the one person had it working purely by locking their screen (vs walking away then it detects).

I may need to find the video again, I just don't recall what creator it was even after binging so many tips/tricks/review videos.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I vaguely recall a YouTuber (I've watched so many videos recently or I'd try and trace this back...) saying you can set your S22U to notify you when you've left your s pen behind and walked away OR to have it notify you as soon as you lock your screen (which was demonstrated).

How do I set it for the later (notify as soon as you lock the screen without your s pen connected)?

My mom loses her spen fairly often, I'd love to figure that out to set it up when hers arrives tomorrow. The only setting I've seen is in the s pen settings, "warn if s pen is left behind," and it doesn't give me any sub menu/additional options.

Both my Husband's & my S22 Ultra did that straight out of the box.

I'll look through settings as all I have seen is the "Warn If SPen is Left Behind".

It's almost annoying for me. Phone was on my desk & SPen was about six inches away. The phone kept repeating the alert & I finally inserted the Spen back into it's housing.

Actually, I guess it did it's job, alerted me until I put the Spen away even though I wasn't done using it.
:)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have the basic setting on but I was intrigued by how the one person had it working purely by locking their screen (vs walking away then it detects)...

I too remember seeing one creator mention this feature but they demonstrated it by walking away. They were showing it being used to take pics and possibly some of the air motions then went on to say that it can alert you if it's left behind and proceeded to walk some feet away from where they had sat it. The reason this stands out to me was because of the look on their face after they had walked a good distance, a look of, oh my is it going to work or is it going to make me look silly, and then it went off.

On a side note, if it worked the way you're wanting it might cause issues with three while taking notes while the screen is off thing or the waking the screen from the pen for a photo thing. Which is just having the pen out with the screen locked would hamper.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
So this is what I was referring to. Oddly still a bit confused about the difference, I don't recall anything additional popping up/another setting and nothing changes when I toggle off/on now.

About 1:40 in is when she demonstrates screen lock without having to walk away. Maybe with my mom's fresh phone I'll be more careful on first toggle.

https://youtu.be/Zqhataox7kQ

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I remember that video and I remember clicking off of it as soon as she mentions the vax passport and likely just forgot the tiny bit that I had watched.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I too remember seeing one creator mention this feature but they demonstrated it by walking away. They were showing it being used to take pics and possibly some of the air motions then went on to say that it can alert you if it's left behind and proceeded to walk some feet away from where they had sat it. The reason this stands out to me was because of the look on their face after they had walked a good distance, a look of, oh my is it going to work or is it going to make me look silly, and then it went off.

On a side note, if it worked the way you're wanting it might cause issues with three while taking notes while the screen is off thing or the waking the screen from the pen for a photo thing. Which is just having the pen out with the screen locked would hamper.
My mom doesn't do either of those, so I still think it'd be better if she could know immediately (she doesn't necessarily always hear or feel the notification when she's walked away already).

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My mom doesn't do either of those, so I still think it'd be better if she could know immediately (she doesn't necessarily always hear or feel the notification when she's walked away already).

That video posted above shows how it can work if the pen is out before the screen is put to sleep and if Physical activity permission is not enabled. It seems if that permission is given it will wait until there is distance between the phone and the pen.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
That video posted above shows how it can work if the pen is out before the screen is put to sleep and if Physical activity permission is not enabled. It seems if that permission is given it will wait until there is distance between the phone and the pen.
Thanks, I can't figure out the ohysucal activity permission on mine but maybe with her new unit switching it on I can avoid checking that and let her try it. She has chemo brain right now, so I could really see that being ideal.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Settings>Apps>three dots upper right corner Permission manger>scroll to Physical activity>scroll through the Not allowed list OR if you find it in the Allowed list remove it...
49f2522c5d7fb0113c11f43889de8185.jpg

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Settings>Apps>three dots upper right corner Permission manger>scroll to Physical activity>scroll through the Not allowed list OR if you find it in the Allowed list remove it...
49f2522c5d7fb0113c11f43889de8185.jpg
THANK YOU! I see AirCommand there and will be careful not to enable it on her phone or go in and remove that for her.