Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello
I have s20 fe 5g
I can not download software update by data, just by wifi
How can i change it?
Thks
Check settings, sometimes it's set by default to download updates and stuff via WiFi only to conserve carrier data usage.

What are the trying to update? It might be app settings

Liorid

Jan 4, 2019
Visit site
Do u know where is it?
In google play is ok but in software update there is no place i can change it
He writes to me that i need to connect to a wifi in order to download the software update

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Some don't let you to update software over data , only WiFi. Could be carrier or manufacturer that does this

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That could be why a carrier would limit software updates to wifi only, specially if it's a prepaid service using other towers
Exactly, they had issue in past where customers had small data allowance and couldn't update , so they try make these things WiFi because mostly everyone will have WiFi access at some point without worrying for a big update file .

Liorid

Jan 4, 2019
Visit site
I understand but is not my case
I have a contract plan, not a prepaid
Also 2 days ago i had an s20 plus and i could download software updates by data

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I briefly had a Galaxy S10e that was purchased through AT&T and I could NOT download any Android updates over data even though I have an unlimited elite account! I do not have in home cable or fiber internet access over WiFi as I only use my phones hot spot for all internet access. (works great and saves me $60.00 per month)

I returned the phone. I will NEVER buy a carrier branded phone again!!!

However, I am now using an unlocked S20 FE bought directly from Samsung... I'm still on AT&T with the exact same unlimited elite account and I had no issue downloading updates using data. Sooooo, unless it's just a fluke...I think it is based on the carrier and having an unlocked phone is the answer. YMMV

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Samsung. Several patch came out shortly after I got my S10+ and while it could search for them, tell you they were there, none of them could be downloaded via Data. It seemed, no it still seems odd to me, that this would be the case. Sure most people have WiFi or access to it somewhere but surely not everyone. I keep picturing people stopping into their local McDonalds to get the latest version of Android. I honestly don't believe it has anything to do with data limits or even data connections but it just doesn't make sense to me. I don't believe it's the carriers either because I was always able to get updates via data until I got a Samsung.

Oh by the way if you want a good laugh Google this and pick one of the Samsung "forum" threads. They are hilarious, they really aren't but it's fun to see even the users get upset at how stupid the "Samsung Moderators" are. I can't believe they allow them to have the that title, It's the equivalent of calling your pocket terrier general snuff snuff. An undeserved title. Anyway you can enjoy them telling people to turn on download over data and set WiFi to turn off when connection has no internet. That place is a complete waste and I just want their servers to crash every time I get directed there.

It cannot be done. WiFi only. Visit your local McDonalds, Starbucks or where ever you get your unsecured WiFi. Oh and it won't download through a VPN either...

Crash their servers like sparks flying, chips burning up, unrecoverable, can't even be restarted code lost forever crash. I'm now sick to my stomach.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
What they're doing is trying to keep their wireless network from being congested with what they feel is unimportant data streams. They want to offload onto whatever WiFi service you may have...even if you don't have it. But as I mentioned earlier...I do not have this issue with an unlocked phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What they're doing is trying to keep their wireless network from being congested with what they feel is unimportant data streams. They want to offload onto whatever WiFi service you may have...even if you don't have it. But as I mentioned earlier...I do not have this issue with an unlocked phone.
I'm on Verizon with an unlocked device and can only download updates via WIFI.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Certainly is one of many conundrum's surrounding cell phones in general, and Samsung phones specifically!
I can only state my experience with two different Samsung phones on the same network account...one carrier purchased (with the issue) and one unlocked (without the issue). YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC