S20 water damage

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Two days ago I jumped in the pool with my S20, of which I tested the waterproof multiple times, and the next day all the sensors stopped working (gyroscope, proximity, light, pressure).
I don't care about the gyroscope and the pressure sensor but I was thinking about replacing the proximity/light sensors.
Would that work or most likely the pins on the motherboard short-circuited and replacing the sensor would not fix the issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's very difficult to say how much water damage the internals may have sustained, especially since corrosion can take a little while to set in. Your best bet would be to bring the phone to a repair shop and get their opinion.

It's worth reminding you that no phone is truly guaranteed to be waterproof. IP ratings are for water resistance and are tested under strict criteria (e.g., plain water at a certain depth without any sudden increases in water pressure, etc.). Jumping into a pool, can mean more depth than the phone was tested at, and the greater depth as well as the sudden jump in the pool can increase the water pressure to far beyond what the phone is rated for.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You should treat a phone with water resistant as if it didn't have it , its not water proof .
That Said you need to take it apart or have a repair shop look and decide what to do with it .