S24 Ultra notification sound for Messages

anpease

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I’ve received my phone today, but cannot find how to change my notification sound for sms messages.
I’ve changed some of the other apps, but am stumped with this one.
Can anyone please help?
Many thanks.

Reactions: MarVaRa

anpease

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Have tried both of these, but cannot see how to change notification sound for messages. Obviously doing something wrong, but have had no problems on my previous Samsung phones.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Have tried both of these, but cannot see how to change notification sound for messages. Obviously doing something wrong, but have had no problems on my previous Samsung phones.
Have you tried a search in settings? As these phones get more and more complicated, it's sometimes easier and quicker to search the settings than trying to manually hunt down a setting... especially on Samsungs 😉

anpease

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, have tried, but no joy so far. As the phone has only just been released I think I’ll wait a while (not much on Google at the moment), or even message Samsung.
Not the end of the world, so will look in a few weeks.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Something I learned many moons ago...go to your settings (I do not have the phone in hand, so...) find the default notification area. Select NONE for the default notification sound. By doing this ALL notifications will be silent to start. Then you go into the various APP settings one-by-one and pick the sound you want for each!
NOW...go to the Messages app (assuming you are using Messages??) and tap on your icon in the top right > Messages settings > Notifications > long press on "Incoming messages" > Ringtone
Voila, this is where you set the sound you want for SMS!
The reason for choosing NONE for the default is so the tones do not conflict with one another. Android is stupid sometimes!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Long press the message app>tap info>notification tap>notification categories tap>new message tap>sound tap and change
25694ed7c91bd93f94bbfdc3ab5dbc49.jpg

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, have tried, but no joy so far. As the phone has only just been released I think I’ll wait a while (not much on Google at the moment), or even message Samsung.
Not the end of the world, so will look in a few weeks.
You're right, for some reason you can't change any notification sounds by default... Being the enterprising genius I am, I figured it out though, and I will give you the solution for a mere $100!

Nah, just playing. Go to Settings>Notifications>Advanced Settings and turn on "manage notification categories for each app". You can then follow what I said above to get into notification categories and change sounds as usual.

What a weird and potentially worrying choice...

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
There should be NO default notification tone! I realize that many inexperienced people would wonder why they hear nothing when receiving a notification...but it would surely make things easier to just force people to use the individual app itself to select the tone they want. Eventually everyone would learn how to do it! What Google does now is redundant, confusing, and various settings conflict with other settings! SMH

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
There should be NO default notification tone! I realize that many inexperienced people would wonder why they hear nothing when receiving a notification...but it would surely make things easier to just force people to use the individual app itself to select the tone they want. Eventually everyone would learn how to do it! What Google does now is redundant, confusing, and various settings conflict with other settings! SMH
You can't force people to learn about something they don't care about. waiting areas would be a lot quieter though, so I'm in.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
You're right, for some reason you can't change any notification sounds by default... Being the enterprising genius I am, I figured it out though, and I will give you the solution for a mere $100!

Nah, just playing. Go to Settings>Notifications>Advanced Settings and turn on "manage notification categories for each app". You can then follow what I said above to get into notification categories and change sounds as usual.

This is great. I couldn't find this on this phone. I am coming from S22 ultra

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

4crrt

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
Go to Settings>Notifications>Advanced Settings and turn on "manage notification categories for each app". You can then follow what I said above to get into notification categories and change sounds as usual.

This is the correct answer.

Coming from an S20 I found it odd not to be able to differentiate notification tones in the S24 Ultra. Smart Switch defaulted to turning this new (and unnecessary?) feature off confounding me for three days at times trying to figure it out.

Thanks anpease for the question and Fuzzylumpkin for the answer!

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

tlspatt

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Finally figured it out myself, although my personal pet peeve was Google Voice so I can set my text message notification sound as different than that from the sound for my Gmail, work email, texts in Messages app, etc.

Type "Notifications" into the search bar -->
Notifications -->
Advanced settings -->
scroll all the way to the bottom to the very last (effing) option -->
Manage notification categories for each app -->
Enable it, as it's disabled by default

Now go back to your individual app settings and there is now a new option called "notification categories" which has way more options appear for choosing notification sounds, ringtones, etc.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Finally figured it out myself, although my personal pet peeve was Google Voice so I can set my text message notification sound as different than that from the sound for my Gmail, work email, texts in Messages app, etc.

Type "Notifications" into the search bar -->
Notifications -->
Advanced settings -->
scroll all the way to the bottom to the very last (effing) option -->
Manage notification categories for each app -->
Enable it, as it's disabled by default

Now go back to your individual app settings and there is now a new option called "notification categories" which has way more options appear for choosing notification sounds, ringtones, etc.
Same way as it was described above long press that app then tap info>notifications>notifications categories
There is 2 ways to get there the one you mentioned and long press the app

rrk

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site

Thank you so much for the resolution!!! You're awesome.

Reactions: jtfwTX

Daye21

Mar 25, 2024
Visit site

Thank you! 100 times (not bucks LOL) thank you! Been trying to figure this out since I bought the darn thing!

Vernelle

Apr 4, 2024
Visit site
Hi,
I’ve received my phone today, but cannot find how to change my notification sound for sms messages.
I’ve changed some of the other apps, but am stumped with this one.
Can anyone please help?
Many thanks.
Hi. I don't know if you Received your Answer about Notification Sounds but this how I do it. I use SEPARATE SOUNDS FOR ALL MY APPS NOTIFICATIONS, CONTACT RINGTONES, ETC.
I think got hooked on separate sounds because I don't have time to LOOK at my Phone. It's easier to LISTEN FOR WHO IS MESSAGING OR CALLING ME.
➡️ So here is how I do it. First, yes every App needs Permission so you have to give it. Then what I do is I go to my MESSASSING/TEXTING APP.
➡️ When I receive a Notification from an APP say CVS, AMAZON, EBAY, A DOCTOR'S OFFICE when you Look in your MESSAGES you will see that Message come through as a NUMBER. EXAMPLE. CVS 4636 UR MEDICINE IS READY.. OR 8694 YOU HAVE AN APPT FRIDAY.
➡️ I CLICK ON THE NUMBER IN THE TEXTING APP(ANYOHE YOU USE DOESN'T MATTER). THE TEXTING APP SHOULD AASK YOU IF YOU WANT TO ADD IT AS A CONTACT. **IF UR TEXTING DOES NOT GIVE YIU THAT OPTION THEN GO TO 🔵 UR CONTACTS AND CREATE ONE AND USE EX. CVS TEXT NUMBER-FOR NAME & FOR THE NUMBER USE THE TEXT 4867 THAT WAS SENT TO YOU. AND SAVE IT.
➡️ NOW YOU CAN CREATE A SEPARATE NOTIFICATION SOUND BY GOING TO YOUR CONTACTS EX. GOING DOWN TO CVS TEXT NUMBER. GIVE IT A RINGTONES SOUND. SAVE. **NOW WHEN YOU GET A TEXT FROM CVS IT WILL PLAY THAT SOUND.. OR IN UR TEXTING APP SINCE YOU CREATED A CONTACT CVS TEXTING NUMBER, YOU CAN NOW CLICK 3 DOTS AT THE RIGHT TOP AND ADD ITS OWN NOTIFICATION SOUND.
SOO THERE YOU HAVE IT 2 WAYS TO GET UR OWN SEPARATE RINGS. I USE THE "ZEDTE" APP FOR MY SOUNDS AND WALLPAPERS.
HOPE IT HELPS...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail