S3 GPS Fix

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
kobi,
Welcome to the forums!

Is Google Maps: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.google.android.apps.maps&token=Mo5pmveO not available in Israel?

If not, there are similar apps that may have maps of Israel:
Scout: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.telenav.app.android.scout_us
City Maps 2Go: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.ulmon.android.citymaps2go&token=AuszYTpJ
Maps with Me: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.mapswithme.maps&token=Y5MFedWr

If you search the Google Play Store I'm sure you'll find something that meets your needs.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
i have a Galaxy S3 and i need to use ut as a GPS to navigate easily as a regular GPS instrument.
can anybody instruct me how to do it? i tried to use the GPS under open sky, and i received an accurate location in coordinates on a white background.
i understood that it works, the cnnection with the satelites, but it lacks a relevant map.
how can i [1] install Israel map and [2] make it work together? what software i need that may be exists already in my smartphone?
any help/advice/instructions will be highly appreciated.
kobi
The first time I used the GPS I couldn't see a map. All I did was pinch the screen down.
It had been zoomed in so close, It was trying to show the shrubs around me.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody had to tighten their screws more than once? I've had to do mine 4 times now as they keep working their way loose. I'm wondering if a little Loctite would be okay to use?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Loctite away! That stuff is safe for electronics.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

ariosvelez

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a GS3 too, my screws are tie but my gps still not working property I try all the apps GPS Status, GPS Tester, GPS you named but nothing work, I check the antenna inside clean the contact etc... sometimes works for seconds but that's it. Any sugestion or help

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a GS3 too, my screws are tie but my gps still not working property I try all the apps GPS Status, GPS Tester, GPS you named but nothing work, I check the antenna inside clean the contact etc... sometimes works for seconds but that's it. Any sugestion or help

Here's a quote from xda-developers forum about how to use the "GPS Test" app:

Another method may work for you. Get the app "GPS Test" from the play store. Open it and open its' settings, hit clear AGPS and then Update AGPS. then wait for it to lock the GPS. You may find it works much faster < 2 minutes, if you go outside and get a clear view of the sky. Once the first lock is achieved, future use of the GPS should get a fast lock unless you are inside a building that blocks the view of the satellites

Here's the URL of the discussion about getting GPS to work better:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][TW 4.3]VRUCML1_Stock_Root_Deodex_Aroma(02.17.14)

Note the mention there of using "GPS Fix" app as well, to improve GPS even more.

Update: I see that GSDer above discussed using "GPS Test" with a nice screen shot...I decide to leave this post since it mentions using "GPS Fix" after GPS Test to shine things up a bit *smile*.

anon(64661)

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe that my GPS finally works again! Ever since the 4.3 update, my GPS hasn't worked, so I thought it was an issue with the software. I installed "GPS Test" from the Android market, cleared and updated the AGPS, as well as ensured all screws were tightened. After a couple minutes, I was locked on. Thanks!

Brian Pomerleau

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I've recently had the same problems - it probably is your GPS antenna connection. There is a spring connection on one side of the phone to the other. I simple put a piece of aluminum foil in the space to tighten the spring contact and it's working perfectly. 16 and 18 fixes instantly. Go to the page here Simple Fix for your GPS - Samsung Galaxy S III - Page 11 - xda-developers and follow the directions except don't mess with peeling antenna pad and placing paper under it. Just simple fold a very small piece of aluminum foil and stick it in the grove above the pad so it fits snugly. And carefully replace the back and ten screws so the aluminum foil doesn't dislodge. Very easy fix. The folded foil only needs to be a half mm or so.

Also, many people have had success with tightening screws which makes sense if the back is loose. My wasn't but was glitchy and continued to get less reliable.

This fix has worked perfectly for several weeks. I make no warranty on the safety of the fix, but it does work definitively at least in my case.

tom nos

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: S3 GPS Fix: this worked

I simply
- uninstalled Google Maps,
- tightened the screws on the back of the phone
- and rebooted.

I then started the Maps application, turned on GPS and BOOM! Instant fix as soon as I opened the application.

Sweet

didess

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
hi guys
I give you my experience.
I tried the screw thing. and it works....but as soon as I get the cover back it went wrong
In fact I have a metallic back cover replacement like this one
back-cover-replacement-samsung-s3-metal-grey-.jpg
It seems to be the problem...
I put back the original cover, and this now fully works !!!
So: is it the screw thing ? or the cover ? or both ??
I let you answer....

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I’ve tried the methods here and they didn’t work. Tightening all of the screws under the battery cover has worked in the past but not this time. I also tried one of the GPS test/fix apps and still cannot lock on a satellite when trying to use Google Maps Navigation.

I was thinking of doing a factory reset. Has anybody had success (or lack of success) with a factory reset. I should mention, my GS3 is completely 100% stock.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I?ve tried the methods here and they didn?t work.
You also tried the write-up in post #28?
I doubt that a Factory Reset is going to solve your problem; sounds more like a hardware connection issue if tightening the screws has worked in the past.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I’ve tried the methods here and they didn’t work. Tightening all of the screws under the battery cover has worked in the past but not this time. I also tried one of the GPS test/fix apps and still cannot lock on a satellite when trying to use Google Maps Navigation.

I was thinking of doing a factory reset. Has anybody had success (or lack of success) with a factory reset. I should mention, my GS3 is completely 100% stock.

Before I did a factory reset, I'd try flushing the caches on the phone. I have a rooted phone, so I do that using TWRP in recovery mode, not sure how you do that with a non-rooted phone at the moment. Someone else knows, I'm sure, and I've seen it laid out in other posts on this site.

Worth a try before going to a full factory reset, anyways. What has worked for me is using a GPS test app, got my GPS tuned up really well *smile*. But it looks like you've already tried that.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Same here.
I tightened the screws, applying lock tight.
The GPS worked for a bit, but became wonky, again. Checked screws, which were still good and tight.
Gave up trying to use it.
Finally bought an S4 off of swappa.com.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
There is another fix that entails putting a tiny piece of paper under the GPS antenna connection to make a better contact.
Not sure where that post is, but I'm positive someone will post the link.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where that post is, but I'm positive someone will post the link.
In post #34 someone already referenced post #28, which contains the link that you're thinking of. Perhaps that was too much indirection?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

d3xi2

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with the screw tightening working for a bit and then it no longer worked. I took my phone apart and found corrosion on the under side of my motherboard. Cleaned it off, put the motherboard back in and it works like a champ again. If you do a search for galaxy s3 gps fix you should find the video that shows what I found. Good luck!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz