S4 or Note2?

green2u

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately, I can't pull the trigger on a new smartphone now as I am not due for a new one until May 1. That will give time for the S4 to come out and for me to compare it to the Note 2 hands-on . With that said, now that it is fairly certain that Note 2 will get some of the software upgrades seen on the S4, that Samsung is probably committed to Note 2 through Android 5.0, and that the price of the Note 2 will probably be greatly reduced for existing Sprint customers by May/June, the Note 2 is now a serious contender for me. My crap Photon4G (running Android 2.3.5--thanks Moto!!) is barely running and NO WAY can I hold out til the fall for the Note 3.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade is available in september, although the S4 perfectly matches my needs in a smartphone but by the time my upgrade rolls around, the nexus 5 and the note 3 will be out. Is it worth my while to wait?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Indydi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same dilemma. If the Note 3 is going to be bigger, I don't even want it. This will be my first smartphone, so I'm not sure whether I'll use the stylus, but it would be nice to have just in case.

The S4 sounds awesome, the smaller (but still large) size would be great, and the benchmarks coming out are unbelievable. I suppose I could get the N2 and if I change my mind, sell it and go for the S4. Nothing else is really a contender and I'm not impressed with the One or with HTC's attacks on Samsung. I very much like Samsung products--LOVE my Nexus 10--and actually prefer a plastic build.

But wow, what a tough decision just between these two Samsungs!

Last edited:

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am currently upgrade-eligible, and have been torn between running across the street to the AT&T store and getting a Note 2 NOW or playing the waiting game for the S4, which looks to be about six weeks or so at this point. (I'm definitely not going to wait for the Note 3 because I don't think that will be available until late fall.)

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Had all the iPhones, then got the GS3, then moved up to the Note 2,,,, as much as I love my N2 the size is problematic for me lots of times,,, I will be selling my N2 and getting the GS4 when it comes out for sale,,, although I "might" wait to see what Apples new offering will be, but I don't think whatever it is will be able to beat out the GS4,,,,,, Apples been falling behind for too long now and really need to come out with something very cool to get my money again.

Cheers
Davyo

Indydi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Apple hasn't just been falling behind. They've been asleep! I also hate the form factor of the iPhones. They're so square and thick, and the screen is too small. It's going to take something monumental for Apple to catch up now, but their habit is to take baby steps.

@JasW You are in the same position I am. I'm wondering if, when the S4 is released, supply will keep up with demand. Could be some waiting involved. If I had a smartphone now, waiting would be a non-issue, but after having larger tablets, I'm anxious to go mobile. I worked with the Note 2 recently for a few minutes and couldn't believe how fast it was. Can't imagine how fast the S4 is going to be. How do you improve on instantaneous?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd say Note 2. I have tons of friends with it and they absolutely love it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I say note 2 if you want stylus, slightly bigger screen and of course longer battery life. But if that doesn't matter to you then of course choose the s4. It's an awesome phone based on the information we have now. Or if you can wait, see if the note 3 will be completely different and even more awesome than current note. I already have note 2 and won't change till I see what note 3 brings but I don't see myself getting the s4 due to battery. The note 2 battery has spoiled me.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
A bit gushy but I agree that the GS4 will outperform and outsell the competition as well as being an alternative to the Note 2 with Air Hover and Air View thus not really needing a digitized stylus. The next generation S phone needs a more polished wrapper and an HD LCD display in the same 5" screen.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'm really, really looking for people to tell me why I should not get a Note 2 today and that I should wait for whenever the S4 happens to grace my local AT&T store. I have a BB 9810 and have always used a BB (and physical keyboards, although I have a Playbook and occasionally use the iPad and Kindle Fire floating around the house). I have big, palm-a-basketball hands. I want -- though I don't strictly need -- a new phone. I'm upgrade eligible.

The floor is open.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If your in today battery life then the note 2. However, I have the note 2 and love it but it is big. Maybe a little big for one handed use. The s4 could be the perfect size imo

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, here ya go. Speed - the N2 is fast. Very fast. Faster than the US Galaxy S3. Screen - the screen is beautiful. Never mind the lower pixel count. It's what you SEE that counts, and what I see is a clean, bright, contrasty, high definition screen with great color. Size - I use my Note 2 for reading, movies and some light technical drawing. The screen isn't tablet size, but it's a very useful size that you can always have with you. Battery - everyone talked about how long the battery lasts and I didn't believe it.. I came off a Razr Maxx, so I know good battery life. This thing has it. The S3 does not, and I'm going to bet that the S4 is not as good as this by a long throw. I could be wrong about that, but from the size of the battery and what they are asking it to feed, it seems to me that battery on the S4 will be inferior to the Note 2. Pen-centric apps - if you want to do some sketching you have a good platform in your pocket for that. The pen also works with some other apps. I find I can use it with iCircuit and Tesla. So there's that.

You might also look at the Z10, which is on preorder at Verizon, if you're a risk-taker. From what I'm reading the QNX OS is running well on it, be we expected that from the Playbook, which has, frankly, the best tablet OS out there in QNX. The screen sounds disappointing, but otherwise the hardware is very good. Apps are the risk factor here. I'm rooting for BB, but they have an uphill battle. I still love the Bold 9930.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If you want it now, the S4 would be your best bet for cutting edge hardware/tech, but if you can wait 6 months or so, get the note 3. The note 3 will surely have everything mentioned plus some more refinements to the s pen and its software as well as key lime pie most likely..

Yup. And THEN the advice will be "If you can wait, don't get the N3. Get the upcoming S5!" There is always always always a better phone in the pipeline. Always. Did I mention always?

Notice - every time someone calls a phone a phablet, another little kitty dies. Please save the kitties. Phablet is not a word. Yes, I am on a crusade to stamp that word out. Doomed perhaps, but it's the good fight.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You might also look at the Z10, which is on preorder at Verizon, if you're a risk-taker. From what I'm reading the QNX OS is running well on it, be we expected that from the Playbook, which has, frankly, the best tablet OS out there in QNX. The screen sounds disappointing, but otherwise the hardware is very good. Apps are the risk factor here. I'm rooting for BB, but they have an uphill battle. I still love the Bold 9930.

I've had nothing but BBs for 12 years, but (1) the app situation has really been wearing on me for the last 2-3 years, and (2) despite it being a BB-only entity up until 3 years ago, my firm has no current plans to support BB10 devices, either with a new BES 10 server or via ActiveSync. So even if I were inclined toward sticking with BB and getting a Z10, it's been taken out of the equation. It's the Note 2 or the S4. I'm all too familiar with the loathsome high-walled garden that is iOS from my wife's side, WP8 has a similar app problem to BB (and neither the Lumia nor the HTC have more than 32GB of storage, let alone expandable storage), and as beautiful as the HTC One is, I see battery problems, no removable battery, and no SD card -- me no likey.

I'm not sure I need (or would even use) the S pen -- I don't have any drawing requirements in my work or personal life -- but I like the idea of a big screen/phone to, among other things, ease into touchscreen only typing.

The AT&T store across the street opens in 40 mins.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had nothing but BBs for 12 years, but (1) the app situation has really been wearing on me for the last 2-3 years, and (2) despite it being a BB-only entity up until 3 years ago, my firm has no current plans to support BB10 devices, either with a new BES 10 server or via ActiveSync. So even if I were inclined toward sticking with BB and getting a Z10, it's been taken out of the equation. It's the Note 2 or the S4. I'm all too familiar with the loathsome high-walled garden that is iOS from my wife's side, WP8 has a similar app problem to BB (and neither the Lumia nor the HTC have more than 32GB of storage, let alone expandable storage), and as beautiful as the HTC One is, I see battery problems, no removable battery, and no SD card -- me no likey.

I'm not sure I need (or would even use) the S pen -- I don't have any drawing requirements in my work or personal life -- but I like the idea of a big screen/phone to, among other things, ease into touchscreen only typing.

The AT&T store across the street opens in 40 mins.

Yeah, I hear ya. I am a BB fanboy myself, but the 9930 may have been my last one. Until I see how it does on the app front I'm going to bide my time and maybe wait for the Z11, if there is one. From what I hear it's a sweet phone, but all the hardware and slick OSs in the world won't save you if you don't have apps. I'm sure it's a great communication device out of the box, so strictly speaking if you want to just exchange info with people it'll be awesome. But I'm spoiled (first world problems, I guess) so I want my shiny cool toys.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The Note 2 is a sick phone but just too big IMO. I have the S3 and the S4 seems like the best choice for me. Same size as the S3 but with a bigger screen and battery, 13MP camera, quad core,etc. What's not to like.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion since there are probably 2 different "classes" of device, I wouldn't even be considering the 2 against each other. If I wanted something as big as the Note, there's nothing out there better. It would like to keep a smaller size smartphone that's going to have a huge display then my choices would be between the SGS4, One of Xperia Z. But I do realize many are choosing between these 2 and I get it but for me, I am first thinking about the kind of device I need then pick from what's available. The Note 2 is too big for me. I had it for a week and I didn't like the size. Don't get me wrong, I have pretty big hands and it wasn't necessarily physical correlation but just how I felt carrying around a device that large. So if I had to choose based on the thread title, easy decision.... SGS4. SGS3 has been good to me and size is perfect. No way I'm going bigger.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I transitioned to the GS3 from years of different BB models from 8310 to 9900 which is a work phone.

The Note 2 has a screen size that makes it a phablet and has a better battery. It has a digitized stylus like my Note 10.1 that I transitioned from the Playbook lasted year. The Note 2 has a decent 1.6 Ghz Quadcore Exynos processor with 2 GB of RAM with a 5.5" 720p display with far less pixel density. 8 MP RFC and 1.9 MP FFC. Jelly Bean 4.1.2. None of improved Nature UX features like Smart Pause but which may come later in an update. Different camera features on the GS4 not present. 3100 mAh battery. Gorilla Glass 2.

The GS4 has the 5" full HD display in the same profile dimensions as the GS3 at 441ppi. GS4 RFC at 13 MP and FFC camera at 2 MP. Jelly Bean 4.2.2. 1.9 Ghz Quadcore Snapdragon 600 processor with 2 GB of RAM. Air Touch and Air Gestures instead of a stylus. Smart Pause when watching a video. Not sure if the Smart Scrolling made it. Many more camera options. Hopefully, AT&T will offer all three sizes so that I can use my 64GB micro sdxc Class 10 card. It has a 2600 mAh battery and is thinner than the GS3. Gorilla Glass 3.

If the GS4 only improved the display and battery but not the other features mentioned above, I might consider the Note 2. The Note 3 is rumored to be 6.3" full HD display. That is just too big.

It is all a matter of personal preference and requirements. I am guessing that the Note 3 will have some awesome features as well but for now, the GS4 would be my vote.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d