S4 will using snapdragon 600 CPU?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I know they they have separate l1 and l2 caches with dedicated pipes running between them both. I know their will be some delay as the phone dumps one l2 cache into the other but im pretty sure they can work around that by fetching the date prior to the a15 fully taking over.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Still fail to see how it will be slower because the cores will be controlled by the android kernel. The kernel will simply hot plug the cores not in use and ramp them up when needed. Now I may not be an electrical engineer but the only worry if not having shared l2 cache. But as I said the memory should be fast enough to make this a non issue

Sorry, I'll trust the concerns of people that build and design these chips for a living over you, no offense

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Oh no offense taken I know those that build these chips know much more than me. But as I said until we have it in hand, can benchmark it, and fully test it I really am not worried. Until then its all just conjecture and worries without substantiated proof. Now if it turns out that the implementation is causing lag etc I will admit I was wrong

EGill#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how much more expensive the big little configuration is, and how much more space it takes up. Perhaps that money and space and would be better spent on a better battery. If I am right, then the big little configuration is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how much more expensive the big little configuration is, and how much more space it takes up. Perhaps that money and space and would be better spent on a better battery. If I am right, then the big little configuration is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

The dual quad core is the gimmicky part. Had they opted for a quad core with a secondary dual core it would make much, much more sense.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
By quad core which one are you talking about the a15 or a7. I believe the only reason the quad core a15 is in use is just to keep up with the t4. But in my mind the quad core a7 is a good idea when you consider they are a little weaker than an a9 but they have the power of an a5. It should allow the exynos to lean on those a7 processors quite a bit more. Especially if the at all are running at full speed and they use less than 1w.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
By quad core which one are you talking about the a15 or a7. I believe the only reason the quad core a15 is in use is just to keep up with the t4. But in my mind the quad core a7 is a good idea when you consider they are a little weaker than an a9 but they have the power of an a5. It should allow the exynos to lean on those a7 processors quite a bit more. Especially if the at all are running at full speed and they use less than 1w.

So what you're saying is that they should've just used a single core that can offer the same performance and use the same amount of power as that A7 quad? I think a company already did that. ;-)

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
At the Verge they're saying its using an S4 Pro for the US variant. Here, it only states quad core snapdragon. Can anyone confirm which processor it's using? I just find it hard to believe Samsung would use an S4 Pro.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
No i wasnt saying that but it is a good alternative yes especially if it had shared L2 cache. but this is arm's baby so I will see how it plays out.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
At the Verge they're saying its using an S4 Pro for the US variant. Here, it only states quad core snapdragon. Can anyone confirm which processor it's using? I just find it hard to believe Samsung would use an S4 Pro.

Ive been surfing for a confirmation on this as well. I saw that on the verge too and was shocked.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just remember where you read that...

I would also be surprised if it's not the S600.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just remember where you read that...

I would also be surprised if it's not the S600.

I would also. Since when have you heard of a cell phone manufacturer releasing a phone with a CPU clocked higher than the its intended to go stock. Better yet show me were it says the pro supports ddr3 ram. I'm pretty sure that was one of the advancements of the s600. And everything I've read states the pro comes with ddr2 ram clocked at 500mhz

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Why do they bring out two different versions? It should be one model around the world.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've seen a couple of Quadrant scores from the units at the show. One of them was over 11,000 and one was a little over 8,000. One thing that came to mind, is if the S4 Pro thing is true, then that could account for the lower score, and the higher one could be the Exynos Octa; that is, if Samsung brought both kinds of models to the show because they needed as many as they could to demo. A low score could also be an issue with the test running with a low amount of memory available, could it not? Either way, 1.9GHz is 200MHz above the max factory clock of the APQ8064, but 1.9GHz is the max clock of the Snapdragon 600. I mentioned that in the comments on one of the news posts. I doubt Samsung would overclock a flagship phone that millions of people are going to buy. Could be some quality control issues with such a move.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia