S6 Locked Out????

phlyx

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
We have an old S6 that's been sitting in a drawer and we were thinking about just using it for games for our granddaughter. When we power it up and connect to our Wifi, we get a message that the phone had an abnormal factory reset and it wants us to log in with the original Samsung username and password. We dug back and found that and entered it but it will not accept the old password. In order to reset the password it wants to send an email to the original email BUT that was a @verizon.net email address that has been defunct for many years. Contacted Samsung support and they basically said we need to go to an authorized Samsung service facility and they can fix it. That's many, many miles away and we work full time, not exactly easy to get there. Is there any way around this??? All help is greatly appreciated.

Also, we have an old Note 5 that shows the battery symbol when on the charger but as soon as you remove it, it's totally dead. Never get the % charging stuff. Saw to do a reset was hold the power button and down volume for 10 seconds. This makes the screen flash when on the charger but that doesn't change anything. A non-removable battery so not sure what we can do to maybe bring that back to life.

Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, we don't allow discussions about bypassing factory reset protection, since that's a security feature. Are you certain you're using the correct password for that original Samsung account? The password was never changed?

Also, I believe verizon.net email addresses got migrated to either AOL or Yahoo -- can you try accessing it that way? https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/email

For the Note5, it sounds like the battery has completely failed -- you'd have to get it replaced at a repair shop, which is almost certainly not worth the cost for such an old device. Sorry!

Reactions: Laura Knotek

phlyx

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the info and not trying to bypass anything, it's my phone and I should be able to use it. That phone is from 2016 (I think) and in 8 years I used many different passwords and update them and I have tried everything I can think of. Also, if I try several times then it locks my account and I have to wait a long time before I can try again.

As far as Verizon email, when you go to the URL you provided you get this:
---------------------
If you currently access your Verizon.net email through AOL, access your mail by going to mail.aol.com

If you access your email through Yahoo, please go directly to verizon.yahoo.com
---------------------
I don't currently get Verizon email at all and when Verizon dumped their internet service I just got a Gmail account and ignored the Verizon account. With the Note 5 I think the toasted battery is why my wife got a new phone.

Thanks

phlyx

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Also, when I try to log in to Yahoo email it tries to get me to verify that my Verizon account is me by EMAILING A VERIFICATION CODE TO MY DEFUNCT VERIZON ACCOUNT. Geeze.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I got this from Samsung website I would think you would need to contact support and hopefully they can send a different way to verify the code

Note: If the email address you entered when you registered for your account has been deleted, or if you do not receive the password reset email, please contact Support.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info and not trying to bypass anything, it's my phone and I should be able to use it. That phone is from 2016 (I think) and in 8 years I used many different passwords and update them and I have tried everything I can think of. Also, if I try several times then it locks my account and I have to wait a long time before I can try again.

As far as Verizon email, when you go to the URL you provided you get this:
---------------------
If you currently access your Verizon.net email through AOL, access your mail by going to mail.aol.com

If you access your email through Yahoo, please go directly to verizon.yahoo.com
---------------------
I don't currently get Verizon email at all and when Verizon dumped their internet service I just got a Gmail account and ignored the Verizon account. With the Note 5 I think the toasted battery is why my wife got a new phone.

Thanks
I realize it's your phone, but the issue with discussing how to get around these kinds of login issues is that it could also be used by other people for more nefarious purposes. As painful as it may sound, the best approach is probably to contact Samsung support, as mentioned above. Good luck!

phlyx

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Thanks but I did contact Samsung support and after a lengthy phone call the only option they gave me was taking the phone to an authorized service center for repair. I would think they could reset my password in their database but not what they said.

phlyx

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
They will need to go to an Authorized Samsung Dealer to provide proof of ownership , hopefully they can help but doubtful being that old.

And just how does one provide proof of ownership for a 9 year old phone??? It was registered to a Verizon email account that is now defunct and has been for about 6 years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And just how does one provide proof of ownership for a 9 year old phone??? It was registered to a Verizon email account that is now defunct and has been for about 6 years.
This is why I always keep the box and the receipt. It bugs my wife, who's a neat freak -- I have a closet full of old boxes. But it has come in handy a few times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174