S6 Recent Apps Button Not Working Or Lit

DonovanEdge

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Here is a "solution" that has worked for me. My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

If someone finds a true fix, please post it! But in the meantime ...

I hope this helps!

Aliyanto Thio

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I Have Trouble like u are...
press call *#0*# and then press grip sensor and then press recents key.......... it work, I think it's not hardware but software that unable the key..

I have already 2times trouble like this.:mad:
I also want to find the answers

hope we can get it..:(

Abegheer

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. Since a week, my recent apps button is no longer working. However, if I press the Home or Back button, the Recent Apps button is still lit. But if I press the recent apps button, nothing happens.

I tried clearing the cache partition as suggested by jcp007, but no result. The workaround suggested by DonovanEdge works nice, but is not as good as using the Recent Apps button itself.

If someone has another suggestion...

holden190

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. Since a week, my recent apps button is no longer working. However, if I press the Home or Back button, the Recent Apps button is still lit. But if I press the recent apps button, nothing happens.

I tried clearing the cache partition as suggested by jcp007, but no result. The workaround suggested by DonovanEdge works nice, but is not as good as using the Recent Apps button itself.

If someone has another suggestion...

I was unable to fix this. It was maybe only a month old at the time, so , so Samsung sent me a (refurbed) replacement for free.

hsanchez18

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I recently downloaded the Kids app from Galaxy Apps store. I appears that the Recent Apps button stopped working after installing Kids app. Not sure if there's a correlation. Did you encounter the same issue?

Thanks.

hsanchez18

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Interesting... I deleted the "Kids Mode" app (from Galaxy Apps store) and the Recent Apps button is working. Not sure if there's a menu option in Kids Mode that disables Recent Apps button.

HS

Khalid Shariff

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Interesting... I deleted the "Kids Mode" app (from Galaxy Apps store) and the Recent Apps button is working. Not sure if there's a menu option in Kids Mode that disables Recent Apps button.

HS

Surprisingly, UN installing the kids mode solved my problem. Thanks for saving me the trouble and time for replacing the handset.

Rohit Bapna

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
i was just playing around with the phone and stumbled around that my power saving mode was turned off.
I turned it on for auto on at 15% and the backlight buttons turned on ... some bug

forkee

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
My recent apps button is completely non functional. No light, no sound, nothing. It's like it doesn't exist even though there is a vague outline of where it died. I don't have a kid's mode app. The onscreen button works but then puts an ugly circle on the screen. Also, I don't believe the s6 has touch sensitivity adjustment.

What DID work was this:
I downloaded the free app "All in one Gestures" by YS Liang. It's in the play store.

I was able to set a long press of the back button as the "recent app button". I also enable long press of home button to take a screen shot. I didn't want to look like i was blessing the phone just to get a screen shot, lol. You can also set different functions when swiping from each side of the screen (not just the default top pull down), as well as tapping the corners or notification bar. Check it out! I was pleasantly surprised.

I also downloaded "Galaxy Button Lights" (also free in the google play store) to turn off the backlit keys. Now it's hidden :)

Swagette

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I too had this issue. I spent two days scouring the internet for answers and guidance. I tried EVERYTHING that i came across and did every cleaning and reboot that there is. I finally took it to my carrier who immediately told me there was nothing they could do, that I would have to send it in and get a new one. I called Samsung who confirmed my carrier and sent me a mailing label. As I was backing everything up and taking out the SIM card I realized that i forgot something and put the SIM card back in the phone...after it restarted BAM everything works fine now. NO IDEA WTF HAPPENED but figured I'd share.

MamaTeeBee

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I recently downloaded the Kids app from Galaxy Apps store. I appears that the Recent Apps button stopped working after installing Kids app. Not sure if there's a correlation. Did you encounter the same issue?

Thanks.

This worked for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled the kids mode and the button is back to normal. Thanks for mentioning your fix!

Daniel Christie

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
So on my S6, the Recent Apps button is no longer working or even lit. When I open several apps, I'm unable to use that button.

I cleared cache, etc. VZW is offering me a new phone, but it's "factory reconditioned" and I'd like to keep this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It's touchwiz people you just need to reinstall it ;)

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Solved - Tried nearly everything I read on the internet about this issue except factory reset, wiping cache, turning on and off, uninstalling updated and apps...Here's what I randomly found that worked for me:

Go to 'Settings' -> 'Backup and reset' -> 'Reset settings'

Your phone will shut down and restart itself. This will not erase stored files on your phone or anything like that, it will just get rid of any wifi passwords you have saved as well as if you have any special arrangement of icons/apps on your screen, it will reset those. Once it's done rebooting it should be working.

Let me know if this works.

Cheers

Aurelio Manzo

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Thanks.

I went back into the Kids App, and clicked "More"... then I hit close app, and it worked.

Gsxr1104

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My s6 edge + recent key don't work my camera icon on lock screen is not there. When I receive a call it rings but nothing show up on my screen I wipe cache and still the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky