S7 Edge features and bigger battery - Really worth it over S7?

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

A little background. Had S3 then G2 and now G4. Don't really think any of the plug in stuff with G5 interest me plus I have had the hardware failure once already on my G4. Extra batteries are nice on G4 but I find myself rarely changing them out because I am always around a charger. Most importantly LG took the back buttons away which I enjoyed.

Now that Samsung brought SD card back...I am pre-ordering S7 or S7 edge in the morning.

After weighing everything out for me personally, The only advantages the edge would have for me is the edge features, 5.5 inch screen, and 3600 mah battery. (Maybe on battery?)

So, do you guys think the new advanced edge features on marshmallow and the fact that you can add 3rd party apps to edge make it worth the extra $110? Keep in mind I have never used the edge at all.

Do you think the larger screen on the S7 Edge is going to make battery life basically break even with S7? I assume just extra .4 on screen will eat up the extra 600 mah?

Here are my Pro's list of each:

S7:
1. Smaller size I think? - I currently have a 5.5 inch screen but my favorite sized phone of all time was my LG G2 and it had 5.1 and is only a tad smaller than S7. More comfortable to carry in pockets as well but G4 is not too bad to carry in pockets and S7 edge is not as wide and thinner.
2. More durable with flat screen
3. More screen protector and case options
5. $110 cheaper for me through T-Mobile

S7 Edge:
1. Edge features
2. Bigger screen.
3. Bigger battery.

Anything I forgot? Here is a link to size comparison - Visual Phone Size Comparison

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge features and bigger battery - Really worth it over S7

The bigger screen and battery size is why i'll be getting the edge over the regular. On this S6 i held both phones and got the regular S6 over the edge. I didn't like the edges between the glass and metal on the S6 edge. Being that they've worked on this quite a bit with the S7 and now the glass and metal are on the same level, i think any objections i had are gone.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The battery is bigger on the Edge but i believe that is due to the bigger screen. Bigger screen will eat up more battery presumably.

Tough decision ...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

There are many factors. My note 5 gets much better battery life than my s6e, despite the note 5 screen being 0.6" larger and a 400mah larger battery.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site

I like the idea of edge, the s6 edge i had was cool, but i really want glass screen protectors regular ones ruin the overall look of the display to me.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

If you were to keep the device for two years, that is only $55 per year. $4.50 per month more. Skip Starbucks one day per month & you break even. ;)

Nobody can say if the money is well spent for you. The best advice would be to locate a store near you that will have display units 2/24 & 2/26.
Galaxy S7 and S7 edge pre-orders start Feb. 23, in-store sales commence Mar. 11 | Android Central

Thanks. Not as much about the money as it is the benefits of the edge. Will I use edge features? Would I prefer a smaller more pocket able phone with a more durable screen over edge features?

Will battery truly last longer on edge? I am going to pre-order one of them in the morning and go to best buy on Wednesday to look at both and decide. Hopefully T-Mobile will let me change pre-order if needed.

Posted via the Android Central App

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Not as much about the money as it is the benefits of the edge. Will I use edge features? Would I prefer a smaller more pocket able phone with a more durable screen over edge features?

Will battery truly last longer on edge? I am going to pre-order one of them in the morning and go to best buy on Wednesday to look at both and decide. Hopefully T-Mobile will let me change pre-order if needed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Am the same way & doubtful the edge features are anything I would use. That said, I know from killing time in a BB store one afternoon I kept messing with the S6 Edge + over anything else. The extra bit of screen made sense for a web site I have to use for work. Assuming that will be the same comparing the S7 & S7E. Then the bigger battery. The kicker is I said I would NEVER need a screen larger than 4.8, then 5.1 & now here we go to 5.5...
*edit: I know the S6E+ is larger than the S7E. Just need a little larger screen than the standard 5.1*

The only real down side I can see is if one breaks a (Edge) screen. Did not follow all the S6E threads, but would expect replacement to cost a good bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCyberCat