S7 Edge - I can't find anything wrong

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: I can't find anything wrong

Luckily Marshmallow is waaay more optimised than Lollipop so the wait for N won't be as bad as it has been waiting for Marshmallow.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Why is everyone mentioning 32 bit audio as a bad thing? CD audio is 16 bit and HD audio is 24 bit. Bit depth is different than bit rate.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Lack of timely Android updates (especially when you factor in the carriers), but that's going to be the case with any non-Nexus phone.

I guess this could earn the 10 points. But we still have to wait for this to happen. Certainly applies to the S6 line up. Poorly managed updates. Samsung really dropped the ball there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

If you havent experienced 32bit audio(I have it on my V10) with a good pair of headphones you aren't in a position to comment. Once you have it, you can't go back. The good news is that other sites are reporting that Samsung is using a home brew DAC chip so we should be good.

azie

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site

1. There is Led notification. Search on mobile review site, you can see some movies with led in action.
2. There is no optical image stabilisation. (OIS). I am really, really excited to see if this confirms. If so, no S7 for me.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I guess that's it! Haha you get 10 points! I understand that not many people use the IR blaster but it is missing alright! They shouldn't have excluded it. Well I guess the S7 isn't perfect after all.

Eh. The lack of IR blaster is subjective. I couldn't care less if it's not on the phone. Others will.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I can find several:

1. No 64GB option. 24GB is not really enough now for a lot of people (especially if also using VR content) and there is NO adaptable storage option in the device. This would be fixed if Samsung offers the 64GB version. Let the consumer have the option :)
2. No stereo speakers still. Maybe the Note might..... Gotten used to having stereo speakers on my MXPE 64GB.
3. Glass case is a crack magnet.

The crack magnet thingy can be mitigated with a case.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

So none of you have won the 10 points yet.

32 bit audio? Maybe. And no front facing speakers? That's lacking, yes but the audio coming from the mono speaker isn't "wrong" or bad by any means.

I'll give the speakers issue 3 points that's it. I have the S6 edge and I've never felt the need for front facing speakers to be honest even though I've owned the one m8 in the past.

This is really surprising :eek:

Don't downplay the speakers just because you couldn't care less. A lot of people love front facing stereo speakers. It's inexcusable these days for a flagship device not to have proper front facing speakers.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Don't downplay the speakers just because you couldn't care less. A lot of people love front facing stereo speakers. It's inexcusable these days for a flagship device not to have proper front facing speakers.

Agreed on the speakers. It adds to the media experience and handy if headphones do not fit the situation or available. One of the reasons I bought a MXPE 64GB and now use my Note as a backup and mainly for Gear VR.

Also more app space on the MXPE and use the Note with mainly Gear VR apps :)

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Can't argue about the speakers. That said, as long as the audio is passable on a phone, it's the thing I worry about the least. Given the design compromises it would take to do the front facing speakers, I'm 100% fine with their omission.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

I heard the speaker is supposed to be pretty loud, though. For me, if I was going to listen to music with it, it would be plugged in via the headphone jack, streamed to a stereo or hooked up via Bluetooth speaker. I think the lack of stereo speakers is overblown on a phone. I just want to be able to hear it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Can't argue about the speakers. That said, as long as the audio is passable on a phone, it's the thing I worry about the least. Given the design compromises it would take to do the front facing speakers, I'm 100% fine with their omission.

If they offered a 64GB model, I would be tempted. Hoping the Note has 64GB option and front stereo speakers :) Seems both are thin on the hope result scale though.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I heard the speaker is supposed to be pretty loud, though. For me, if I was going to listen to music with it, it would be plugged in via the headphone jack, streamed to a stereo or hooked up via Bluetooth speaker. I think the lack of stereo speakers is overblown on a phone. I just want to be able to hear it.

I thought the same thing 100% for years until I got the MXPE. I almost returned it, but got it back out of the box since got used to the speakers. For games, music and video, to me makes a big difference- as per most reviews. Nice when no headphones or using headphones is not practical.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

1. There is Led notification. Search on mobile review site, you can see some movies with led in action.
2. There is no optical image stabilisation. (OIS). I am really, really excited to see if this confirms. If so, no S7 for me.
Hey man, there is OIS. I can confirm that. I work for Samsung.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I held both in Oxford Street today. Man I want to like the Edge, but physically it's a pointy slippery sucker, and smaller than my Note 3 and X Pure style. Doesn't initially feel like £640 worth of goodness, but there are a lot of overriding hardware and software pluses.
Both the S7 and two S7E have 15.26gb for System use, though the first Edge I tried had only 7.2gb strangely (I have shots).
They were carrier free but in Shop mode obviously, I don't know if that's the norm and I haven't read all the blogs and forums, but with 4gb of apps or something they had only 11gb left.
Man I wish it had a pen.

The S7 to me is tiny now, as I suspected. Great as a backup phone if you can afford that, but it's smaaalll!

Actually give me an S7 Edge with 5.8 inches and without one or both edges and I'll take one. (the left edge didn't seem to be functional at all).

There was only one good mature guy fending all Samsung related enquiries so I left.
Just to let you know phones on display in stores have Retail Mode installed. This eats up lots of storage that would otherwise be free in consumer versions.

Jealous that you got to see the phones before I did. I work for Samsung! I get my product training and a chance to look at the phones tomorrow and Wednesday. Can't wait.