T-Mobile Galaxy S8 S8 + storage shows almost full, but

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
My S8 is showing warnings of low storage. So, I moved half my photos to Dropbox, deleted a lot of my messages/ photos/ unused apps. When I deleted the photos/ messages, I gained almost 1 GB. I deleted a movie app and gained 4 GB. But, this morning, the warning is back with 900MB of available space.

The storage app does not show where the 64GB is at, and, only shows apps at 11.2GB, images/ documents and videos at 28MB total.

Any ideas? Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Install a terminal app, like Terminal Emulator for Android. Turn the phone into landscape mode (the output lines are long) and type

df

then Enter. You'll see a few lines. The last one should end in emulated or sdcard (no, that's not your SD card.) That'syour storage space. The rest of the 64GB is used by Android. Now you'll be able to keep check on how much space you have.

Use MyFiles to look at what you have there that you can eliminate.things like lists that keep filling up as there's space for them (if you're a realtor, you know how quickly some realty apps can fill with listings - with a dozen pictures in each). But it's not the phone - unless you installed malware that keeps downloading files, it's all things you've installed or created. (It's nice to use a phone for realty, but you can not maintain even a small town's entire MLS database on one.)

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Rukbat-

Thank you for the response. I did as suggested, and, have included a few screen shots to better advise of my issue.

As of now, I am certain there is a problem. The phone, regardless of how much data I remove/ transfer, still shows full. And, I do not load tons of apps. My main offender were photos, but, they are no longer on the phone.

As for the realty items, I store nothing on the phone, all data is either online programs or Dropbox...

Screenshot_20191127-133906_My Files.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-133533_Terminal Emulator.jpg

Screenshot_20191127-141311_My Files.jpg

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
go to settings, device care, then "optimize now". it will automatically delete unneeded files. see if that brings your storage usage down.

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
Found the issue. One of the apps was using a huge amount of memory. I cleared its cache and half my storage is back.

C/P from another site. Hat tip to Eman27: "So after investigating into my phone I found something highly disturbing. I went into settings> apps> I selected "show hidden" on top right corner> I then sorted from largest file to smallest> and BOOM right in front of my face I see "Vision Provider" running a whopping 82 GB of my memory into the ground"<snip>

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Been having this problem for the last week-ween n half, it would just randomly say its full. Didnt know what was happening. These apps are cache hungry apparently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali