s9+ doesnt want to update firmware/software

Borg Queen1

Jul 21, 2019
Visit site
Greeting

I recently bought a phone from a second hand website a galaxy s9+ after confirming the IMEI that it is authentic I still am unable to update the software or firmware on the phone using the about phone menu.

I get the "registering device-process failed" error in the software update menu.I am currently residing in Namibia Africa but the phone is a SM-G965U American version.Also in the about phone section it shows United Arab Emirates TRA ID, how can I work around this to get the phone updated? it is still on android 8.0 on September 2018 security update.

thanks for the help.

bpsrCJG.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That's a SM-965U. That's a US Snapdragon phone. It's legit, but it's not going to update unless you put a US SIM Card inside it. You can try manually flashing the correct firmware for it using Odin.

Borg Queen1

Jul 21, 2019
Visit site
Oh how can I find out the correct firmware for it? But since I don't live in the US will the US firmware work with a simcard from Namibia?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh how can I find out the correct firmware for it? But since I don't live in the US will the US firmware work with a simcard from Namibia?

It will work for call, texts, etc. You just won't get to update.
You need to find the correct carrier it was branded to. Go to Sammobile.com and you'll have to match it to the correct one there. You'll also need a PC to run the program to update it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid