S9+ Unlocked + T-Mo Band 71?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This question has officially been addressed by Samsung in this FAQ, but I was wondering if any unlocked S9+ owners on T-mo could confirm through their own testing, or just anecdotal experience on this issue, that yes the unlocked is actually picking up the T-Mo band 71 signal? Any other problems you are seeing with unlocked VS T-mo branded? I don't care about no wifi calling because I think that feature doesn't work well anyway (using a T-Mo S8).

Thanks!

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Why do you doubt or dispute the very clear documentation from Samsung?

I'm not doubting the hardware is there to utilize band 71. I have read different things, and seen nothing "official" on a Samsung website, about some features for various carriers not working because they require software implementation from the carrier that is not available to the unlocked phone.

Example being wifi calling for T-mobile. I've seen on a post somewhere that this doesn't work on the unlocked phone. I don't know if accessing band 71 would involve software from T-mo at all (not an engineer) so that is why I asked. I work in a rural area and have spotty connections in many places, but this general vicinity is now covered by band 71 and I want to take advantage of that with a new phone I plan to get before the end of this year.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not doubting the hardware is there to utilize band 71. I have read different things, and seen nothing "official" on a Samsung website, about some features for various carriers not working because they require software implementation from the carrier that is not available to the unlocked phone.

Example being wifi calling for T-mobile. I've seen on a post somewhere that this doesn't work on the unlocked phone. I don't know if accessing band 71 would involve software from T-mo at all (not an engineer) so that is why I asked. I work in a rural area and have spotty connections in many places, but this general vicinity is now covered by band 71 and I want to take advantage of that with a new phone I plan to get before the end of this year.

T-Mobiles WiFi calling will always work on Samsung unlocked phones. I have an unlocked S9+ and WiFi calling does work perfectly.

As far as band 71, I can't comment on how well it works on the phone because T-Mobile is the best carrier in my area out of the other three.