Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that most of the sellers on CL are just arrogant.

I texted one who was selling an 8GB for $400 saying price was negotiable and he or she reamed me when I offered less. Around that same time the ad disappeared so guess either I wasn't the only one low balling him or someone wanted the phone bad enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the others that said to try T-Mobile first. If you can't find it in a T-Mobile store, try their website.

As for Craigslist, exercise extreme caution. Get the person's name, telephone number, email address and license plate of you can. (Be sure to call the telephone number to make sure they pick up and it's them.)

Meet in a very well lit, busy place OF YOUR CHOOSING, during DAYLIGHT HOURS, like a busy Starbucks or McDonald's. Bring a friend if you can.

Also, try to meet inside a Police Station. This way you are sure to not get mugged or scammed. Of course, let the officer at the front desk know you're meeting a seller off Craigslist, for your safety. They won't mind. Just stay out of the way.

Yes, the inner box comes with dark gray security tape. There's an outer sleeve that you pull off to reveal the inner gray box.

Here are photos of my own box and accessories:

Outer sleeve:
uploadfromtaptalk1354077487527.jpg

Inner gray box with security tape on both sides (see arrows):
uploadfromtaptalk1354077555456.jpg
You should also view some unboxing videos on YouTube to know exactly what to expect from the packaging. If anything is off, DO NOT BUY!

If the security take is broken, inspect the phone with a fine tooth comb. Turn it on, play with it. Pop your Sim card in it and make a call. Any seller that's not a scam artist won't mind a quick call to test if the phone is working.

Make sure all the accessories come in the box: USB cord, charging brick, Sim tray ejection pin (see arrow) and Quick Start Guide/Warranty.
uploadfromtaptalk1354078305430.jpg
Ask the seller before even meeting if they can switch the email address registered to the device to yours, when you've paid for it, for warranty purposes or ask that they call up Google in your presence to have it switched on the spot when you buy. If not, ask for their full name so that you can call up and try to have it switched.

If not, ask for the original receipt so that you have proof of purchase because your going to have to deal directly with LG for any warranty and they require proof of purchase since Google will not honor the warranty because you are not the original purchaser.

If the security tape is intact still open the box and inspect everything carefully as I started above. Do it in the presence of the seller so if something is broken or missing they witnessed it and you can get your money back or if it's a brick painted black or a box of rocks you have the scammer right there in front of you and can get your money back or call the cops.

Be smart. Be safe. And if something seems off, GET OUT & DO NOT BUY!

Good luck. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the others that said to try T-Mobile first. If you can't find it in a T-Mobile store, try their website.

As for Craigslist, exercise extreme caution. Get the person's name, telephone number, email address and license plate of you can.

Meet in a very well lit, busy place OF YOUR CHOOSING, during DAYLIGHT HOURS. Bring a friend if you can.

Also, try to meet inside a Police Station. This way you are sure to not get mugged or scammed. Of course, let the officer at the front desk know you're meeting a seller off Craigslist, for your safety. They won't mind. Just stay out of the way.

Yes, the inner box comes with dark gray security tape. There's an outer sleeve that you pull off to reveal the inner gray box.

Outer sleeve:
View attachment 48574

View attachment 48575
You should also view some unboxing videos on YouTube to know exactly what to expect from the packaging. If anything is off, DO NOT BUY!

If the security take is broken, inspect the phone with a fine tooth comb. Turn it on, play with it. Pop your Sim card in it and make a call. Any seller that's not a scam artist won't mind a quick call to test if the phone is working.

Make sure all the accessories come in the box: USB cord, charging brick, Sim tray ejection pin (see arrow) and Quick Start Guide/Warranty.
View attachment 48576
Ask the seller before even meeting if they can switch the email address registered to the device to yours for warranty purposes or ask that they call up Google in your presence to have it switched on the spot when you buy. If not, ask for their full name so that you can call up and try to have it switched.

If not, ask for the original receipt so that you have proof of purchase because your going to have to deal directly with LG for any warranty and they require proof of purchase since Google will not honor the warranty because you are not the original purchaser.

If the security tape is intact still open the box and inspect everything carefully as I started above. Do it in the presence of the seller so if something is broken or missing they witnessed it and you can get your money back or if it's a brick painted black or a box of rocks you have the scammer right there in front of you and can get your money back or call the cops.

Sent from my Nexus 4

I called T mobile and looked online. There's no mention of the $499 Nexus 4. I don't get it.....they will only sell me a contracted 2 year Plan.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

As for Craigslist, exercise extreme caution. Get the person's name, telephone number, email address and license plate of you can.

Meet in a very well lit, busy place OF YOUR CHOOSING, during DAYLIGHT HOURS. Bring a friend if you can.

Outer sleeve:
View attachment 48574

View attachment 48575

View attachment 48576
Ask the seller before even meeting if they can switch the email address registered to the device to yours for warranty purposes or ask that they call up Google in your presence to have it switched on the spot when you buy. If not, ask for their full name so that you can call up and try to have it switched.

Sent from my Nexus 4
CL sellers don't want you to open the box if they don't know your going to buy though.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this isn't what you were asking but I suggest just buying one off Google and waiting the necessary 2-3 weeks. You won't have to meet any stranger and be paranoid someone tampered with your phone, you'll also get one from later production which always come with less problems, and you'll save $200+! I couldn't wait either and almost bought one off craigslist too, but my patience was rewarded with being able to order a phone just a few days later (today). $200 isn't worth 2 weeks of waiting, that's more than 14 dollars per day. You could take yourself out and eat a very nice meal every single day for that money, while you wait for a fresh new phone from google =]

Or buy one on craigslist and be done with it, I'm just offering my advice!

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
CL sellers don't want you to open the box if they don't know your going to buy though.

I've sold some major $$$ cellphones and other electronics on Craigslist here in NYC. And yes, I will not let the buyer open the box until they have paid me on full, which is why I said multiple times in my prior post that you quoted: "once you paid?.

Anyway, when I sell something on Craigslist, once I'm paid in full, I stay while the buyer opens the box to make sure they got what they paid for because I'm an honest seller. (I've even transferred warranties once the seller paid without even being asked, right in front of them and gave them the original receipt, again, without even being asked. I did it automatically because I'm a good seller and an honest person.)

Any honest seller will stay for 30 seconds while you open a box and check to make sure there's a phone in there and not smashed into a million pieces.

Any seller that WON'T stay 30 seconds after they got hundreds of dollars of your cash while you open the box is either a scammer trying to get out of there with your cash before you can discover you've been robbed or a douche.

Either way, I wouldn't buy from them if they can't stay 30 seconds after they have my money to insure the phone is in the box.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I know this isn't what you were asking but I suggest just buying one off Google and waiting the necessary 2-3 weeks. You won't have to meet any stranger and be paranoid someone tampered with your phone, you'll also get one from later production which always come with less problems, and you'll save $200+! I couldn't wait either and almost bought one off craigslist too, but my patience was rewarded with being able to order a phone just a few days later (today). $200 isn't worth 2 weeks of waiting, that's more than 14 dollars per day. You could take yourself out and eat a very nice meal every single day for that money, while you wait for a fresh new phone from google =]

Or buy one on craigslist and be done with it, I'm just offering my advice!

I would, but my 14 days runs out on my iPhone 5 next Tuesday.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I would, but my 14 days runs out on my iPhone 5 next Tuesday.

Ohhh I see. Well be careful man, others have already told you pretty much all the precautions you should take buying off CL. I personally wouldn't buy anything that's not in a sealed box though, and like others have said, open it right then and there and make sure it works

good luck!

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a 16gb Nexus 4 successfully from CL! I have a few questions.

How do I get those Play Store icons off from the very top left? Why does the speed test.net address showing a very slow speed? Do live wallpapers burn battery life? Where can I buy another charger and cable? Can anyone recommend a slim clear case that protects the back?