News Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra initial review: The pursuit of perfection

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
When people complain about the so-called sharp corners...all I can say is "you're holding it wrong"! It's the FLAT rectangular shape that makes this phone wonderful!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The pricing on this phone and all phones makes no sense. You have a device with a 6.8 screen for 1300. This Sumsung 85" TV is 900 at Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...uhd-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6527338.p?skuId=6527338
The quantity material needed to make the TV is so much greater yet it is $400 less. Yes each device has some unique features, buy there is absolutely no reason the phone is 1300.
Have you considered that maybe the display isn't the most expensive component? or that the TV uses a worse display technology and isn't touch capable? Or that a small device is more difficult to design and manufacture than a fairly large one?

I don't dissagree that phones are crazy expensive, but in this case, size doesn't matter. Much like a 1 carat gemstone is worth more than a house brick, despite the house brick being considerably larger.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
The pricing on this phone and all phones makes no sense. You have a device with a 6.8 screen for 1300. This Sumsung 85" TV is 900 at Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...uhd-4k-smart-tizen-tv/6527338.p?skuId=6527338
The quantity material needed to make the TV is so much greater yet it is $400 less. Yes each device has some unique features, buy there is absolutely no reason the phone is 1300.
The pricing makes perfect sense to Samsung. The whole point is to make a profit. Most of those profits go back into R&D for new devices and technology, improvement of manufacturing processes, salary raises for employees, and yes, to pay back shareholders.

johnts

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see a listing and quantity of each component put into each device along with the cost of each component. Millions of devices withe costs spread across them. Probably the equivalent of pennies to a dollar compared to what we pay. If the S24 Ultra was 899 instead of 1300, they would sell a lot more them. The high prices make you hang onto your old phones until they are ready to die, especially when the new devices don't have a whole lot of new features other a little faster chip and maybe a better screen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Looks like every flagship device is priced over a TV , TV can't take everywhere with you but I understand your point.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I would love to see a listing and quantity of each component put into each device along with the cost of each component. Millions of devices withe costs spread across them. Probably the equivalent of pennies to a dollar compared to what we pay. If the S24 Ultra was 899 instead of 1300, they would sell a lot more them. The high prices make you hang onto your old phones until they are ready to die, especially when the new devices don't have a whole lot of new features other a little faster chip and maybe a better screen.
What difference would it make if you knew? Again, Samsung prices its products based on what it thinks the market will pay. It is the crux of a market-based economy.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This video provides a good explanation of why TVs are so much cheaper than almost everything else.

Reactions: mustang7757

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My take...a TV does basically one thing at a time...it provides an image whether static or moving. Even the el-cheapo flat screens of today can be made to look very, very good. Comparing what a TV does to a car, or a cell phone is not apples-to-apples but rather apples-to-oranges. A car does more than just drive you from place to place. It also does all sorts of navigation, music playback, and even video playback as well as many more things too numerous to mention here. As for a cell/smart phone...well we all know what they are capable of.
Now if all cars only drove you from place to place and nothing more then I am sure they would go down in price just like TV's. The same could be said about cell phones. If all they were capable of doing was making a phone call and nothing more...they too would become blasé and the prices would fall to stagnation levels. YMMV