Samsung Galaxy S3 Volume going crazy

gwoodsaint

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody had the volume going up and down independent of them touching it? It's like someone else is controlling it. I can't listen to music at all without the volume mysteriously fluctuating. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Scott

110john

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing it too while listening with the headphones! Drives me crazy. I read on other threads about how at around 75% volume a warning message comes on that listening ot the music too loud... etc. So, I started only going up to where the warning came on then backed it down. That worked for a short while (maybe 45mins). Then the volume would go all the way down, then go max. I would set it back to safe level and it does it again. Down then all the way up. Down and then all the way up. Absolutely ridiculous! Samsung needs to fix this ASAP! Any help out there? Thanks.

jhoodwvu

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Im having the same issue....but i caught my phone in the act and tried to turn the volume down as it was turning it up....it would automatically go max as soon as my finger came off the soft volume button. It did this repeatedly for about 45 sec....then it returned to the volume all the way down...then all the way up etc, etc....i nearly threw my phone across the gym.:mad:

keysofsandiego

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I downloaded "advanced task killer" (free from play store), killed all apps, reboot phone, and opened just the audio player (i was using streaming radio app when i got this issue - app name "tune in radio") that seemed to fix this issue for me.
Let me know if that helps homies.

:)

patdpolishpower

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
This is definitely a Galaxy S3 bug. This has happened every time I run with my phone. At first I thought it was my armband, but I took the phone out and held it in my hand, and the phone kept doing the same thing. However, pressing on either the volume up or down button would sometimes fix it, but then it would continue to do it again. This obviously made me think something was stuck in the buttons and the moisture/condensation while working out made it conduct and short the buttons. However, I just realized this ONLY happens with headphones plugged in.
It might be just headphones with a microphone as those are the only ones I've used.
When I switched to bluetooth headphones, this has stopped happening.
It's definitely a bug with the phone.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue too on mine. I think it may have been the built-in task killing function of the OS killing my equalizer app, which is supposed to always be running, and then it randomly showing up again.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
When your phone goes into Silent Mode, that is a software issue. The only hardware issue you may actually be facing (although quite unlikely) is that your volume down key gets pressed. That's all.
hardware S3 Volume button

Last edited:

danielvarjao

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that this bug happens with me when I'm listening FM radio with the original ear phones and try to go back to the radio interface through the icon on the notification panel. When the radio is running it creates an icon on the ongoing apps, then you hit the icon and then the volume goes all the way up scaring the hell outta me. It's not a bug with a default behavior, I have touched that icon other times and didn't get the problem though. But I'm definitely avoiding accessing the radio by that shortcut, today I gave a new try and almost got deaf.

That's really unfortunate and reasonable enough to sue Samsung for that but I'm going to change my mobile soon so screw it.

Samsung s4 doesn't have this bug, it doesn't have radio as well, that's the way they found to solve the issue.

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having this problem too, I use some old iphone head phones to work out in and I chalked it up to sweat getting into the mic/volume up and down. Usually happens between 40-50 minutes into the work out.

Ian Dsouza

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi G TWalling

I tried the solution you provided. Unfortunately it hasnt worked :(
I actually disabled most of the in-built Samsung apps when i got 'clean master' ....could this be the reason for this bug. If yes, do i have to restore all the original Samsung apps?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I tried the solution you provided. Unfortunately it hasnt worked
Perhaps you should start with a description of the problem?
If it's the same one listed in the OP, have you tried different headphones or using the app that was recommended in post #11 to control the volume?

Does this issue occur in Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

faydfgame

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that this bug happens with me when I'm listening FM radio with the original ear phones and try to go back to the radio interface through the icon on the notification panel. When the radio is running it creates an icon on the ongoing apps, then you hit the icon and then the volume goes all the way up scaring the hell outta me. It's not a bug with a default behavior, I have touched that icon other times and didn't get the problem though. But I'm definitely avoiding accessing the radio by that shortcut, today I gave a new try and almost got deaf.

That's really unfortunate and reasonable enough to sue Samsung for that but I'm going to change my mobile soon so screw it.

Samsung s4 doesn't have this bug, it doesn't have radio as well, that's the way they found to solve the issue.

I have to disagree with the last paragraph. This happened with my s4 and now my s5. Also happened with my tablet, a note 8. I don't think this will be fixed anytime soon..

JosephMORourke

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Not just an S3 issue as I'm also having the issue with my Note 8.0 Regardless if I'm using headphones, Bluetooth or device speaker. It'll drop from my set volume to barely audible and then jump back up without warning. Very very annoying.

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGReviews

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have an S4 which is doing the same thing suddenly. I have had Touchwizz problems where I lost my main screen and just had simple mode; now this is fixed my volume will drop seconds after pressing play.
I feel its a Samsung problem not just related to S3 as Ive seen many other S4 owners with this. I have tried rebooting in safemode and this has worked for some people but not for me...sigh! This may work for you.

So Im in the same boat and any advice would be appreciated too.
Hope someone knows the answer.

mrrfrost

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was just me going crazy but my old S3, Tab3 and now my new S5 are all doing it. It only seems to happen when earphones are used but I'll be watching or listening to something and the volume turns itself down to mute (I watch it on the screen). I use the button or screen to put the volume back up and watch it go down again! I have a theory that it only happens when another Samsung is in the vicinity (today I was on the train watching my Tab3 and the guy next to me started playing on his Samsung phone...and then my volume went down on its own)! I can't solve it

Last edited:

CrazyWolf_Mike

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I got the same issue with my Galaxy S3 randomly lowering the volume listening to media player, Pandora, and other apps at random* and it's irritating ya, I know, I have mine hooked up to my dj mixer and always end up looking back wondering why it's volume is randomly down AFTER I went through the whole "listening to loud volume message"....
Meaning -no- activity going on other than me listening. I even went as far as to disable all [power saving] features which may cause volume auto-lowering (some may have overlooked this part).
No volume or throughput apps that alter the sounds are active either....

Karl Summers

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to add this bug also affects my Galaxy Note 3. I'm listening to an FM radio app and the volume lowers to 0. It happens when I'm at the gym listening with headphones(the stock ones that came with the phone.)

RavegeBeast

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Im literally screaming and yelling at my phone, half the time when i plug in the headphones i just bought today, the volume drops to zero on my galaxy s3, and when i use the slider to on the screen or buttons to turn it up, it keeps lowering while i turn it up, but when i unplug them it works fineanyone have any ideas?