Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm new here and don't know if this thread exist and i just made my own thread about gs4 battery. so i hope admin can remove my thread.

This is my GS4 l9500 with Exynos octa core battery screenshoot :
View attachment 99529 View attachment 99530
My phone condition is : mobile network active, power saving off, sreen brigthness 20%, Air gesture active, Smart stay active, Smart scroll active.
I use android 4.3 last update for this phone.
I use this phone for playing game (CoC,deemo,cytus) for about 50 minutes. And i use for hearing music for 40 minutes with screen lock. The other thing i do is browsing and open twitter.
My BBM is always active to.
My battery reduced 1% each 2-3 minutes every time i use this phone ( browsing, twitter, or use the other app) .
The time i need to fully charge my phone is +- 1 hours 20 minutes. I use Battery doctor app.
Is that normal ?

It's about normal, but usually there's more screen on time for that much battery drainage. :-/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ShowerMann

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Heavy user pretty much the whole day. Working in a phone shop means I'm constantly on my phone and I leave my house at 8.30am in the morning with my phone being on 100%. By the time I arrive home at 6pm after using WhatsApp all day and Netflix on lunch I have around 30% left. Absolutely awesome battery!

Posted via Android Central App

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
What are the %s of the things using your battery?

2014-01-05 02.39.57.jpg2014-01-05 02.40.14.jpg2014-01-05 02.40.25.jpg

here is mine today hopefully I can fix it since still new to android. 6 hours of this is from airplane mode. when my phone charges and is done i take it off so i don't overcharge it. Do other people do this? Also, I get terrible reception at my house so until I leave I keep wifi on. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 2014-01-05 02.40.25.jpg
    2014-01-05 02.40.25.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 23

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It looks like screen use is the biggest contributor, which is completely normal and the way it should be. You can probably do some tweaking to reduce how much Google Play Services uses. Your screen shots show mobile data on, not Airplane mode. Keep Airplane mode on when you don?t need to be able to get calls on the S4, and that should help save battery in weak signal situations.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It looks like screen use is the biggest contributor, which is completely normal and the way it should be. You can probably do some tweaking to reduce how much Google Play Services uses. Your screen shots show mobile data on, not Airplane mode. Keep Airplane mode on when you don?t need to be able to get calls on the S4, and that should help save battery in weak signal situations.

How come my screen time is half of what everyone else posts? It's on low as anything or on auto brightness. Should I turn off auto brightness and not be able to see the screen outside or what?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
How come my screen time is half of what everyone else posts? It's on low as anything or on auto brightness. Should I turn off auto brightness and not be able to see the screen outside or what?

You're right that you shouldn't be at 7% with 3 hours screen time. I use the Lux auto brightness app to control brightness, but I don't know if that will make a big difference in your battery life.

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
You're right that you shouldn't be at 7% with 3 hours screen time. I use the Lux auto brightness app to control brightness, but I don't know if that will make a big difference in your battery life.

I will download it and keep an eye out and let you know if I see any change. Thanks for the tips!

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Today 58 percent screen 42 percent 51 minutes screen time Android os 21 percent 13 hours on. Doing pretty crappy and the screen is on less than 15 percent no auto brightness no gestures no GPS nothing really on.

GalaxyFanatic

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Is it true?
After many charge cycle, the battery will get better handling power capacity?

I bought my S4 on Jan 3 and a bit disappointed because of the battery draining fast (1% every 5mins or less)

Just using Wi-Fi, facebook, Youtube, some gaming (not heavy)

My battery becomes 20% in less than 15hours. I followed all the settings that minimize battery use but still no luck. Would thos battery get better overtime? Frustrating :(

abhilakhani

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Can Mother board replacement solve battery related issue...???...i buy my s4 few days back ....and i notice it decrease 1% batt. every 2-3min. with all sensors are off and at lowest brightness...!!

dennis garber

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I am using the Moto X I get about five and a half hours. About 7 if I only idling do not touch the phone. I have CPU current installed and I can clearly see that this phone its uses between three and five hundred milampsconstantly.there is such a thing as amoderate user, ?I think not they were only heavy users in light users. There are blue collar workers and people that run businesses that need to use the phone regularly and then there are light people that are white collar people that died hardly ever use the phone or are near a charger.clearly marketing people are involved in there probably hiding on these threads posting. Please people do not post if you are white collar worker or work in retail. We only want to hear from people that actually use their phone constantly. Please install current monitor and watch your current and then do the math.

thethakuri

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I too jumped from iPhone to Samsung band wagon mostly because I was tired of Apple's proprietorship and also I wanted to develop apps for Android. Trust me when I say this, no other manufacturer comes even close to Apple when the hardware is concerned. My iPhone 4 battery would easily last me a week (very light use). However on my new S4 mini, I can literally see the battery draining before my eyes (even when everything is turned off). Also I miss the sturdy glass case of iPhone when I hold this plastic crap ! Anyhow, I had to switch since Android will inevitably takeover the world and I got a sweet deal for this S4 mini.

Krissytin

May 23, 2015
Visit site
When I use gps it sucks the life out of it...I need to buy a car charger one of these days. Also at work, where there is Wi-Fi and when I am not at all using it the percentage drops drastically. No idea why, I think a few apps are running in the background but then again I use WiFi at home and all programs are running the same but the percentage does not drop like crazy. Other than that its better than my old droid 2 global Motorola...I miss the physical keyboard though. It can last about 7-9 hours average for me.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Trust me when I say this, no other manufacturer comes even close to Apple when the hardware is concerned. My iPhone 4 battery would easily last me a week (very light use). However on my new S4 mini, I can literally see the battery draining before my eyes (even when everything is turned off).
It's been known for years that phone for phone, battery capacity for battery capacity, an iPhone will always beat the equivalent Android. iPhone runs an OS and apps on it. Android runs an OS with a Java Runtime running apps. That;s more programming-efficient, but less battery efficient. (Apple doesn't have to write apps that run on hundreds of hardware platforms.)

When I use gps it sucks the life out of it
Only when an app is using the GPS. Otherwise it shouldn't use much at all. If it does with no app using it, just turned on, something's wrong.

...I need to buy a car charger one of these days.
I've been using the one I bought on eBay for a buck for a few years. They're commodities now - $15 for a plug-in USB port for a car is a 2008 price.

Also at work, where there is Wi-Fi and when I am not at all using it the percentage drops drastically. No idea why, I think a few apps are running in the background but then again I use WiFi at home and all programs are running the same but the percentage does not drop like crazy.
Install Wakelock Detector (if the phone isn't rooted, see Wakelock detector with non-rooted phone) to see what's waking the phone. With the screen off th phone should be asleep except for brief moment, most of them so brief that they don't show on the line on the second page of the battery statistics in Settings (tap the graph on the first page to get to the second page). Also keep the screen off when you're not using it (a 30 second timeout is usually more than enough - I have mine set to 15 seconds) and keep the brightness down. The brigther the screen, the more battery it uses. (And with a Samsung, the more white is showing on the screen, the more current is used, which is why Lollipop and Material Design is such a bad user interface for Samsung phones.)

I miss the physical keyboard though.
I've had a lot of phones with them and I miss them too, but I don't think you're going to see them any more.

It can last about 7-9 hours average for me.
If you're not draining the battery too far (no lower than 40%, or you'll be buying batteries fairly regularly), that's good. Most people running Android phones are happy with one day's work on a charge - about what you're gettng.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci