Samsung Galaxy S5 Constantly dropping Wifi

Sinky66

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello, new to the forum. Looking for answers for the same issues. Have Samsung S5 on Telus. I got the phone in the spring and I"ve never had a problem until about 2 weeks ago. Now I can log onto Wi-Fi but lose signal (or quality) after a few minutes, both at home or at family or hotels etc. I've replaced my modem (using Asus n-53 currently was using D-link), I have installed Wi-Fi analyzer and speed test apps on phone and tablet ( I watch the signal drop out on both these apps while on my phone), I have switched channels on the modem, I have switched to static on phone, I have a S3 tablet and 4 apple devices plus 2 laptops to compare with. I have basic computer skills and have played with a couple settings on the router and the phone, including ensuring my MAC address was added to the router list. If anyone has anything else, I'm sure myself and many others would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any information anyone has to offer.

KShaw117

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
One more thing to try. I didn't see it in the thread but, if you don't have a confirmed hardware problem, then you are looking at software interference. The most notorious of these is anti-virus apps or software. If you can't adjust the app or it has recently updated and cut you off, you can try un-installing and then re-installing the software. This worked for me. If that doesn't work, you'll have to determine by elimination, which program is the culprit.

KRIMKO

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Samsung galaxy s5, bought about 4 months ago, started to have the same problem, it doesnt stay on wifi, drops as soon as you sign on, tried everything and all suggestions on the net , but it doesnt work, brought to the Samsung rep at the Best Buy, where I bought it from, the rep did something to the settings and claimed that it will work,but it is having the same problem, all other devices working on the wifi are working perfectly, without ever having a problem, it seems like a device problem and Samsung should rectify it

Nicole Alexandra

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
same thing is happening to me with Bell in British Columbia. I was told by a Bell rep to back up then restore... did that and its still messed up. dropping wifi every 30 sec. Pretty livid. now my phone is not the same as it was AT ALL. PISSED

Kelsey Nugent

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
same thing is happening to me with Bell in British Columbia. I was told by a Bell rep to back up then restore... did that and its still messed up. dropping wifi every 30 sec. Pretty livid. now my phone is not the same as it was AT ALL. PISSED

I'm in BC on Bell too and this has been happening to me for a few days. My wifi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every 15 seconds on both my home and work networks. It's obviously either a phone or carrier issue and it's driving me insane!!! I've googled everything extensively and I cannot find a fix for this. I'm at my wit's end.

Roguefoxx

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I was looking for an answer to a different wi-fi question when I saw this.
I'm on AT&T with my S5.
Under the Wi-Fi settings I have an option for "Smart Network Switch" which says it Automatically switches between Wi-Fi and mobile networks to maintain a stable internet connection. Anytime a computer says it automatically does something for me; I typically say no thanks. I don't typically like my devices making assumptions of what I like, don't like or want to do. So I have that option unchecked. I never have an issue with the network stability once I've connected to a specific wi-fi connection.

Not sure if that will help you all or not. But thought I'd share.

I was having the same issue with WiFi disconnecting quite frequently and as soon as I un-ticked this "Smart Network Switch" option, under WiFi in settings, everything has been great and I am no longer being disconnected.

the_tazz

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
this was happening to me too. within the last week or 2. i am trying to backup everything and restart with factory settings. if that doesn't work then back to bell and have them fix it.

arashad1

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Got it
under Settings --> Quick Settings --> Wi-Fi you will find a check box option named "Smart network switch", untick it, this should take care of the problem
it seems to be a new feature because it just happened recently (I am on Fido AB, Canada)
My battery used to drain quickly and it showed that "Android System" is the main power consumer
I also noticed this network registration on and off whenever I arrive on campus where they have a huge grid of WiFi.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I just had ATT come out to the house and change all of my phone wiring just to make sure that there was nothing wrong with my signal that could cause my brand new S5 to keep dropping calls. The techs thing that the Jr. High School across the street has a "seek and destroy" program that looks for unauthorized wifi signals and terminates them. They have similar problems with people who live close to the school. Maybe you also live close to a school or other institution that is interrupting your rogue wifi signal. Just an idea ... if anyone else has heard about this, do you know how to defeat it?

It's Illegal, there was a case somewhat recently with a hotel chain doing it and they got a big fine. I know some of the newer schools have this tech as we deal with a couple, fortunately they don't make a habit out of it, they only kick out trouble makers. That was before the case recently, if they are smart they won't be doing that anymore.

Got it
under Settings --> Quick Settings --> Wi-Fi you will find a check box option named "Smart network switch", untick it, this should take care of the problem
it seems to be a new feature because it just happened recently (I am on Fido AB, Canada)
My battery used to drain quickly and it showed that "Android System" is the main power consumer
I also noticed this network registration on and off whenever I arrive on campus where they have a huge grid of WiFi.

Ironically this seemed to help my phone too, thanks.

Lovepixxie

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine started doing this yesterday on both work and home wifi. I did this at home today and so far it's working well. Hope this helps.
youtube.com/watch?v=v2DFzr66x-0

shov76

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I turned off the smart network switch thing and like magic, it works fine now.. Boy was that a simple fix that was driving me crazy:p
I'm on Verizon and just upgraded to Lollipop it that makes any diff

Tara Rayburn

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I just started having this problem last night, also driving me bananas. I just switched the smart network thing. How it works!

Posted via the Android Central App

NathanMM

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
"Up-voting for visibility"... After never having problems with wifi I got home and I kept losing connection to wifi. Well, I un-clicked the "smart network switch" and voila. Problem solved. Just wanted to let you all know that this worked for me. Thanks to all those who posted before me. So infuriating.

ausworkshop

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same problem just recently. The switch was always on before and never caused problems. We shouldn't have to turn off a feature to make our phones work again. This is not a solution it's just a work around for a problem that no one seems to have any idea why it started or how to fix it. Typical. Spent all night trying to fix my brand new S5 and I still have no idea what causes it or if anyone will do anything to fix it.

Missy S

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am so frustrated, my S5 keeps dropping WiFi. I have Tmobile but I know its not them, its the phone. My whole family has Tmobile yet I am the only one with a Samsung Galaxy S5 and my phone is the only one dropping WiFi. Ugh! Help!

Tara Rayburn

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Go to your WiFi settings, up check the smart switch box. Should fix it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-06-08-58-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-06-08-58-58.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 19