Samsung Galaxy S5 Losing Connection Intermittently (WiFi and 4G)

Pavcrain

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for almost two years, and it has been great until recently. About a month ago, various apps starting losing connectivity intermittently, including both third-party and pre-installed apps like Google Maps. This would occur over both Wi-Fi and 4G. I could still browse Google Chrome, but my gmail, work email, Facebook, etc. would only work on occasion. After trying a few things, I did a hard factory reset and it seemed to fix the problem for about 3 weeks. Just this past weekend, however, the issue started up again. It starts slowly (by not updating my work email unless I manually sent/received), and then spreads to other apps. I have yet to have any problems with the Google Chrome browser, but have had issues with most other apps, including pre-installed apps like Gmail and Google Maps. There are some apps that will work intermittently or if I manually enter those apps and update, while others don't update at all. For instance, I can't see anything new on Facebook and receive an error message saying "can't connect right now" when I try to click on an article linked on Facebook, but I am able to comment/like things.

This time around, I went straight to the factory reset, but it did not fix anything - the first app I used after resetting did not work. I have also reset network settings and cleared the cache partition, but no dice.

Customer support at Verizon told me this is most likely a hardware issue, so they can't do anything about it. Does anyone know of any potential solutions? I have scoured the Internet but have failed to find anything that works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A few things to check:

1. Make sure Android System Webview is up to date.
2. Go to Settings>Data Usage and make sure Restrict Background Data isn't turned on anywhere.
3. Check for any system updates.

Pavcrain

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. Restrict Background Data is not turned on, and it looks like there aren't any system updates, unfortunately.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check to make sure your Android System Webview and Google Connectivity Services apps are fully up to date.

A17

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Check the pre-installed "Smart Manager" app. Disable the power saver option and see if that helps. Just a thought as it can cause problems with certain apps.

Last edited:

Nicjoelcamp

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for almost two years, and it has been great until recently. About a month ago, various apps starting losing connectivity intermittently, including both third-party and pre-installed apps like Google Maps. This would occur over both Wi-Fi and 4G. I could still browse Google Chrome, but my gmail, work email, Facebook, etc. would only work on occasion. After trying a few things, I did a hard factory reset and it seemed to fix the problem for about 3 weeks. Just this past weekend, however, the issue started up again. It starts slowly (by not updating my work email unless I manually sent/received), and then spreads to other apps. I have yet to have any problems with the Google Chrome browser, but have had issues with most other apps, including pre-installed apps like Gmail and Google Maps. There are some apps that will work intermittently or if I manually enter those apps and update, while others don't update at all. For instance, I can't see anything new on Facebook and receive an error message saying "can't connect right now" when I try to click on an article linked on Facebook, but I am able to comment/like things.

This time around, I went straight to the factory reset, but it did not fix anything - the first app I used after resetting did not work. I have also reset network settings and cleared the cache partition, but no dice.

Customer support at Verizon told me this is most likely a hardware issue, so they can't do anything about it. Does anyone know of any potential solutions? I have scoured the Internet but have failed to find anything that works.

Hey did you ever find out what was causing this problem? Mine is doing the exact same thing and it's a brand new phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Llop719