Samsung Galaxy S5 not connecting with some apps using only data, works with wifi

A

AC Question

To attempt to fix this issue I have updated my phone, made sure Restrict Background Data was turned off, unchecked Verify apps, Reset app preferences, ran CCleaner and Avast on my phone. I can use some of my apps but not all when I am not connected to wifi but all when I am. I am so frustrated. Any advice would be most welcome.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which apps aren't working? You could try editing the APN settings and disabling IPv6.

Ladycatpurrs

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I did try to edit the APN but the options were greyed. The only method I saw of disabling IPv6 involved rooting the phone, is there an alternative method you could link me to? Thank you for your response.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this a carrier-specific S5, or was it completely unlocked when you got it? I have an Nexus 6P (unlocked, of course) on T-Mobile, and have no problems editing my APN, and can specifically change the APN protocol to IPv4, IPv6, or IPv4/IPv6.

What exactly was greyed out? The whole APN screen, or just an option within the APN settings?

Ladycatpurrs

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Verizon specific model. And all the options under "Edit access point" were greyed except the option to select the APN name. That is able to be edited. Again, thank you for helping me with this.

Ladycatpurrs

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
It looks somewhat similar to that. And yes, I checked my phone against another Samsung Galaxy and it too is greyed. When I tap the menu in the upper right it only gives me the name of the network, which can be edited. I have not tried to edit it and I don't know that it wouldn't auto revert to default.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you still on Verizon? If so, give them a call and see if they can help you edit the APN.