Samsung Galaxy S5 Storage Space MIA

Kanonen80

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I hooked up my phone to my PC to see why my phone constantly has only ~500MB of internal storage space free at any given time. The overview says that I have 10.5 GB of total storage (I'm assuming the 5+ GB of 'System Memory' is reserved, which is why I'm only seeing 10.5 GB instead of the advertised 16 GB). It claims I only have 612 MB free so according to maths, I'm using 9.88 GB.

So here's the weird part - I click on "Phone" to see the content and when I tally up everything I get ~4.5 GB used. I have "show hidden" enabled, so I don't think there are any hidden files or directories I'm missing.

So what gives? I only have a few apps installed and have already moved all of my photos and media to the SD card.

umm1.png
umm2.png

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I hooked up my phone to my PC to see why my phone constantly has only ~500MB of internal storage space free at any given time. The overview says that I have 10.5 GB of total storage (I'm assuming the 5+ GB of 'System Memory' is reserved, which is why I'm only seeing 10.5 GB instead of the advertised 16 GB). It claims I only have 612 MB free so according to maths, I'm using 9.88 GB.

So here's the weird part - I click on "Phone" to see the content and when I tally up everything I get ~4.5 GB used. I have "show hidden" enabled, so I don't think there are any hidden files or directories I'm missing.

So what gives? I only have a few apps installed and have already moved all of my photos and media to the SD card.

View attachment 205224
View attachment 205225

Hello and welcome to Android Central Kanonen80!

WOW! That's an eye opener. The Verizon OS takes up 5.5GB as opposed to the stock, unbranded, Samsung firmware at 4GB. Giving 12GB of free space on my phone memory. This is probably due to Verizon's extra bloatware.

As to your lack of space, these could be ghost files from an earlier update and I would suggest installing an app that I would not normally recommend, Clean Master (Boost & AppLock), free from the Play Store, and run only the Junk Files clean up and see what your readings are after that. I would recommend disabling or uninstalling it after use as it is a very invasive app. Having said that, Samsung use the Junk Files portion in their Smart Manager app on their latest firmwares.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz