Samsung Galaxy S6 Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

Here's my perspective on the matter.

The lack of a microSD expansion isn't nearly as bad as it is made out to be. Sure, you can upgrade your storage on the cheap and have a physical backup of your data but that is essentially all the benefits of it.

Google has notoriously attempted to kill off microSD support in android over the past couple years and they are doing it with good reason.

The internal flash memory is a great deal faster in terms of read and write speeds than even the fastest microSD cards on the market. I am fed up with waiting 15-20 minutes to load the contents of my microSD when connecting my S5 to the computer. I am sick of the contents randomly rearranging themselves as time goes on, this is extremely evident if you take a lot of vacation photos.

This isn't even the last of the issues, applications can't be installed to the SD card unless you have rooted your phone nor is USB 3.0 supported for transfer from the SD Card on the S5.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the benefits of expandable storage on other devices but on Android smartphones it just doesn't work as well as the internal storage and simply adds unnecessary issues.

The greater issue is the pricing scheme for jumps in internal storage. Nobody else to blame but Apple for this highway robbery although there is rumours Samsung will be offering extremely affordable storage upgrades on the S6.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Actually, apps and games can be stored on the SD card lol on the note 4

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Actually, apps and games can be stored on the SD card lol on the note 4

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4

It doesn't transfer the whole app over to the SD Card, only a sliver of the app actually gets moved over which is in my opinion useless and
unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

Will this is true, but you can move have the camera place pics and videos directly to the SD Card. For me this is ideal, 3 young kids lots of video (1080p and 4k). This is were the SD really comes into effect. So if this doesn't have the SD support, your not going to lure the people on the fence, they will just go to iphone. Personally if no SD card, I will move to Note 4 or look at the HTC One M9, that is rumored to have SD support.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Will this is true, but you can move have the camera place pics and videos directly to the SD Card. For me this is ideal, 3 young kids lots of video (1080p and 4k). This is were the SD really comes into effect. So if this doesn't have the SD support, your not going to lure the people on the fence, they will just go to iphone. Personally if no SD card, I will move to Note 4 or look at the HTC One M9, that is rumored to have SD support.
I can't imagine the S6 having something that would make me want to leave my Notes for it. It may be a nice upgrade for S4 or iPhone 5s owners though.

from the Note Edge📱📏

Porkchopexpress1969

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

i'm coming from a iphone 5. its old and breaking down. Need to move on. Picked up a Samsung tab 3 8" to play with the KitKat, and I love it.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

If this is true then no S6 for me. The main reason I bought a S4 almost two years ago was it was the only high end phone in 2013 with a microSD slot. Now there are other good choices.

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm thinking that after the lower than expected S5 sales and subsequent hit to revenue, Samsung decided to cash in.

eMMC, I think, is less than $.60/gb. I.e., 16gb = $9.60, 32gb = $19.20. I don't know how much it costs to add SD card functionality to a phone, but whatever it is doesn't change. Once it's in the phone, pricing is done. Profit margin potential disappears.

I know there are some (rumored) exorbitant pricing tiers out there for the S6, but following the old 16gb and 32gb pricing structure, we'll say the 16gb starts at $299, w/contract. 32gb at $399, and so on. At $.60 per gb, they're making good money with every $100 jump in storage. Apple knows how to do it..they've always did it this way and their profit shows it.

With an SD card, consumers can jump to 64gb on the cheap. Sure, read/write times are slower. Apps have to be installed on the default internal memory, so no impact there. Video, music, photos, etc., might not be loaded as fast, but they're not really slow IMO. The OEM benefits significantly more than the consumer in reference to internal storage.

I think Samsung will announce the S6's internal storage and hype it up as something with mythological performance that will give customers more than they could ever imagine. The same pitch may very well happen with the non-removable battery. On Sunday (MWC), we'll be humbled when we learn that these features combined will create an energy that enables the S6 to correctly guess the colors of every dress on Amazon. Take that, Fire Phone.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

With an SD card, consumers can jump to 64gb on the cheap. Sure, read/write times are slower. Apps have to be installed on the default internal memory, so no impact there. Video, music, photos, etc., might not be loaded as fast, but they're not really slow IMO. The OEM benefits significantly more than the consumer in reference to internal storage.

I think Samsung will announce the S6's internal storage and hype it up as something with mythological performance that will give customers more than they could ever imagine. The same pitch may very well happen with the non-removable battery. On Sunday (MWC), we'll be humbled when we learn that these features combined will create an energy that enables the S6 to correctly guess the colors of every dress on Amazon. Take that, Fire Phone.

Actually SD can in fact be pretty slow...slow enough to make FHD video stutter periodically. Particularly when SD cards vary greatly in read rate, write rate, and overall quality. The consumer is more likely to think it's the phone and not the card though.

As far as hyping up the internal storage...Samsung already is, as well as hinting about high general performance of the S6 (and you know all you have to do is increase storage speed to do it, since that's the slowest thing around?). And if they're using this new UFS stuff then I'm not sure I blame them for eliminating the SD slot, whenever it got used it would slow the device to a crawl.

Carcaridon

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

I believe this will more than likely be the cost structure, which is sad. I don't think Samsung is ever going to out Apple Apple, so why try? I think the small handful of Apple users they might lure with the iPhone replica they built is way less than the people that are going to move on from the Galaxy line because they're removing features that Galaxy users like, and setting up a cost structure that some people won't want to pay. Good price point, water resistance and SD card support are what brought me over from Apple. I've dealt with the issues on my S5 that I don't like that Apple does better (email, image level backups) because I liked the S5 more than any other Apple phone I've had, and the Android OS is way more customization. But I don't see myself right now buying an S6 (or 2, 1 for the wife) at these prices off contract.

rebeccathomp

Banned
Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

Bummer. Yeah, I'm not so happy about the idea of not having an sd card but if the battery life will compensate,guess I'll be okay.

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Just came across this article with the first bit of confirmed pricing for the s6 and s6 edge.... Its pricing for Videotron which is a carrier up here in Canada but there definitely not one of the big 3 (Rogers, Bell, Telus) so we'll still have to wait and see what they come in at. One nice thing to see though is that they are selling both the s6 and edge models and all three storage options for both. If I'd have to guess on the U.S. pricing I'd say about $100 less for on each model compared to the Canadian pricing you see in the article as we tend to be around $80-$100 over the advertised U.S. pricing on just about every phone. Here's the link
Canadian pricing for the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge | MobileSyrup.com

altafking

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

I can't imagine the S6 having something that would make me want to leave my Notes for it. It may be a nice upgrade for S4 or iPhone 5s owners though yes may be new 1 is great

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I can't imagine the S6 having something that would make me want to leave my Notes for it. It may be a nice upgrade for S4 or iPhone 5s owners though yes may be new 1 is great

I guess then size doesn't matter to you. I'm digging the smaller S6 size big time. Big phones don't work for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Design shouldn't compromise function. It's a freaking phone, why does it need to be metal? I've complained about Samsung's plastics in the past, yes, but that was based on how cheap and terrible their plastic used to be.

What a picky customer you are. But there are more customers wanting premium materials than ones wanting alternative materials.

Posted via Android Central App

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Couple of thoughts....

First, with the specs on board (e.g. QHD display, Exynos processor, etc.), the S6 should last you more than 2 years. So, if you pay a little more for the S6 now, aren't you saving a little money two years from now? :confused:

Second, if the price of this phone is too high when it's launched, wait a little while. The price should drop - especially if no one is buying it right away. :-$

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I will be skipping this. Just hope the Note 4 camera is good....
I upgraded from the S5 to the Note 4 and the camera is a little better but also has the Optical Image Stabilization. The camera on my first Note 4 basically refused to focus for the first 10 seconds when the camera app was launched; I exchanged it and now the focus locks within 1-2 seconds. Initially I had iPhones (3,4,5) and finally decided to give Android a try with the Galaxy S5. I was concerned about the large screen but after 8 months I realized I wanted an even larger screen so I got the Note 4 and have been happy with it ever since. I'm hoping the Note line does not do away with the microSD slots as the rumored pricing for the S6 is way to high in my opinion.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Couple of thoughts....

First, with the specs on board (e.g. QHD display, Exynos processor, etc.), the S6 should last you more than 2 years. So, if you pay a little more for the S6 now, aren't you saving a little money two years from now? :confused:

Second, if the price of this phone is too high when it's launched, wait a little while. The price should drop - especially if no one is buying it right away. :-$

Oh yeah, it'll drop within 6-8 weeks of launch. Maybe not by much but every little bit helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kitezpro