Samsung Galaxy S7 Charger Disconnects/Reconnects Rapidly after Update

Rich Newman

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Galaxy S7 yesterday (to what I'm assuming is Nougat). After the update, whenever I plug my phone into a charger, it disconnects and reconnects (losing and gaining the little lightning bolt icon on the batter) rapidly making the connect noise a bunch of times and showing the little splash animations around the charging port a bunch of times. After 5-10 (sometimes upwards of 20) dings, it will stay connected and start fast charging. However, if I let the phone timeout, upon hitting the home button or power button, it will start that cycle over again.

Does anyone have a clue what Nougat might have done that screwed up my phone?

Edit: Upon some further testing, it seems like it doesn't like the wall plug of my wall charger. Why would the update "break" my wall charger???

Last edited:

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Mines very picky about the wall charger.

Try turning off your fast charge or seeing if the cable is loose in your port.

I had a cable that had over heated when my phone was plugged in (never buy a ******* gas station cable) and the best actually started to warp the plastics

Rich Newman

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow, mine is the official one that came with the phone. It worked just fine prior to the update, now it's gotten wonky and around noon today, just does a reconnect/disconnect cycle and will not stay connected anymore. At least I can charge it from my PC and I have other chargers at home. It sucks that the update "broke" my wall charger.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
No offence but i HIGHLY DOUBT A SOFTWARE update can break a physical peice of external hardware.

Your brick could of went. Does the problem persist with other bricks?

Rich Newman

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem is only with that particular wall charger. BUT, here's the thing...it was working JUST FINE prior to me doing the update (I had it plugged in and had zero problems). Halfway through the update, it started messing up. So yes, I think something in the software has caused the wall charger to no longer register correctly. It's very frustrating and annoying. I HIGHLY doubt the wall charger suddenly died halfway through the update.

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
It's possible the phone overheated while updating. Possibly destroyed the connection on the micro usb port. Try a different wire and wall plug see which one makes the difference. I've been through 3 wires in the last year of having my phone could be just standard wear and tear.

aiueo

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue, and it happens with multiple different adapters as well as multiple different cords. It only doesn't happen when it's fast charging, i.e. fast charging's turned off or the adapter doesn't support it, or when it's wirelessly charging. It's been happening since I updated to nougat as well.

bf90

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
I updated my Galaxy S7 yesterday (to what I'm assuming is Nougat). After the update, whenever I plug my phone into a charger, it disconnects and reconnects (losing and gaining the little lightning bolt icon on the batter) rapidly making the connect noise a bunch of times and showing the little splash animations around the charging port a bunch of times. After 5-10 (sometimes upwards of 20) dings, it will stay connected and start fast charging. However, if I let the phone timeout, upon hitting the home button or power button, it will start that cycle over again.

Does anyone have a clue what Nougat might have done that screwed up my phone?

Edit: Upon some further testing, it seems like it doesn't like the wall plug of my wall charger. Why would the update "break" my wall charger???

bf90

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
my s7 edge has quit charging with the rapid charger and so did my husbands s6 both right after the update. i had to buy a new charger that literally takes all night to charge.

bf90

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
i totally understand as we are having the same issue with the s7 edge and the s6. i have read online about our phones having charging issues, bluetooth issues, and wifi issues after the latest update. This all sucks and makes me want to move to apple

Sean McCarty

May 7, 2017
Visit site
The problem is only with that particular wall charger. BUT, here's the thing...it was working JUST FINE prior to me doing the update (I had it plugged in and had zero problems). Halfway through the update, it started messing up. So yes, I think something in the software has caused the wall charger to no longer register correctly. It's very frustrating and annoying. I HIGHLY doubt the wall charger suddenly died halfway through the update.

Just came in here to say I am having the -exact- same issue with my G7 edge. Just updated to Nougat, and am having fast charging issues. Issue started the moment after I update. This problem is NOT hardware related nor is it isolated to the charger.

I may need to factory reset the phone, unless someone has a better idea?

edit: To add to this, the disrupting charging only seems to happen when the device goes idle. continuously wakes itself up as if it was just plugged in.

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
my phone does this also, with a particular fast charging cable. it eventually stops making the sound but nonetheless still annoying.

wtfsamsung

May 11, 2017
Visit site
The same thing started happening to me and my roommate this week. He has a s7 edge and I have the s7. Whenever we plug in our charger cables, we encounter any one of the following problems: no fast charging, no charge at all, moisture detection error, VR opens. We've tried multiple different cables, blocks, outlets, locations.

The timing is too big of a coincidence for it not to be a firmware issue. I thought I was going crazy until I ran into this thread.

wtfsamsung

May 11, 2017
Visit site

After a bunch of trial and error, I realized that my phone will only charge if I'm not using fast-charging. I can charge it in my car, or on my laptop, but it won't charge when I plug it into the wall with the fast-charger block. HOWEVER, when I switch out the the fast-charging block with an older block that doesn't fast charge, my phone charges fine.

Kid Kootenay

Sep 18, 2019
Visit site
No offence but i HIGHLY DOUBT A SOFTWARE update can break a physical peice of external hardware.

Your brick could of went. Does the problem persist with other bricks?

you would not think so, but its actually does. I had the same problem I changed chargers cords tried batter apps etc nothing worked then I happened across a page that actually fixed it, at least until the next update. it involved clearing your cache in safe mode and forcing stop a hidden app. that was several months ago and its been great until today thats how I happened across this string lol trying to find the directions again

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397