Samsung Galaxy S9: USB Driver Installation Failure

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm at my wits' end with the S9. Currently undergoing a belated upgrade from the S4. When I connect the S4 to my main PC (Win7), it installs any drivers it needs to, and simply works. I can access phone files just fine. When I do the same with the S9, I get a cornucopia of failures. To make matters worse and/or more interesting, the S9 connects perfectly well to other Win7 machines in my possession -- none of which have ever had Samsung's USB drivers installed. There's a driver issue on my main PC, but hell if I can discern what it is.

I previously had an older version of Samsung's USB drivers installed on my main PC, which, after the S9 kept refusing to connect, I uninstalled so as to update them to a newer version. The version listed on Samsung's product page is 1.5.65.0, so I tried that. Here's what I got after the installer finished running:

Device driver software was not successfully installed
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - No driver found
PCI Device - No driver found

Not sure how there can be "no driver found" when the express purpose of the Samsung driver installer is to place the driver files on my machine, but that appears to be the first hurdle.

When connecting the S9, I get a variety of different failure messages. They appear to vary without a discernible pattern from attempt to attempt, but the most common failure message is "SAMSUNG_Android - No driver found". I've sometimes seen the MTP USB Device driver fail to install, and I'm aware of the supposed solution to this (manually install driver via Device Manager), but I've tried this fix multiple times with no luck.

Samsung tech support was predictably of no help at all. Hoping someone here can help me sort out what's happening.

PurifierUnit

Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, appreciated. Didn't know guests were incapable of replying.
I have tested multiple ports with identical results. As for the cable, it's the same cable that I used to connect to my other machines successfully, so the cable can be ruled out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, appreciated. Didn't know guests were incapable of replying.
I have tested multiple ports with identical results. As for the cable, it's the same cable that I used to connect to my other machines successfully, so the cable can be ruled out.
Hi, welcome to AC!

What errors you see when the phone connects to the computer ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The errors I see for both USB driver installation and phone connection are in the initial post. Errors when connecting phone to PC vary quite a bit and I have yet to see any particular pattern.
Something probably not right with that computer , especially it connects to others . Might do a restore on it or if your good at troubleshooting it then try some things .

PurifierUnit

Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
Been through all of that. Have also repeatedly wiped the relevant drivers and reinstalled. I have no save point that could possibly go back far enough to cover my initial installation of the Samsung USB drivers, since that occurred many years ago. Finally, my old Galaxy S4 still connects just fine to the machine that won't handle the S9, even with the Samsung USB drivers no longer installed.

As I mentioned in the initial post, I'm fairly sure the problem lies with drivers somewhere.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Been through all of that. Have also repeatedly wiped the relevant drivers and reinstalled. I have no save point that could possibly go back far enough to cover my initial installation of the Samsung USB drivers, since that occurred many years ago. Finally, my old Galaxy S4 still connects just fine to the machine that won't handle the S9, even with the Samsung USB drivers no longer installed.

As I mentioned in the initial post, I'm fairly sure the problem lies with drivers somewhere.
Its possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance