Samsung Note 9: Suddenly cannot download MMS from non-Android users when WiFi Calling is Turned on

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Samsung Note 9 running the latest version of Android (9).

In the last few weeks (perhaps after the Android 9 update), I've stopped being able to download MMS messages (texted pics). When I click on the "download" link that comes when I receive an MMS, it just spins and never downloads.

I discovered restarting will download the pic, but that's because it downloads via mobile data during the reboot process.

Further troubleshooting has narrowed down the results: It's not an issues because I'm connected to WiFi--it has to do with WiFi calling. If i turn Wifi calling off, I can download normally over wifi.

Furthermore, the issue appears to only affect incoming messages from non-Android users. I have no idea why this is the case. I successfully downloaded pics from another Android user, but iPhones and Google Pixels do not work.

I can download MMS from anyone as usual when connected to mobile data.

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Note 9 running the latest version of Android (9).

In the last few weeks (perhaps after the Android 9 update), I've stopped being able to download MMS messages (texted pics). When I click on the "download" link that comes when I receive an MMS, it just spins and never downloads.

I discovered restarting will download the pic, but that's because it downloads via mobile data during the reboot process.

Further troubleshooting has narrowed down the results: It's not an issues because I'm connected to WiFi--it has to do with WiFi calling. If i turn Wifi calling off, I can download normally over wifi.

Furthermore, the issue appears to only affect incoming messages from non-Android users. I have no idea why this is the case. I successfully downloaded pics from another Android user, but iPhones and Google Pixels do not work.

I can download MMS from anyone as usual when connected to mobile data.

Follow up question: why is there no category to select Note 9? It doesn't show up under the listed phones to select as my own.

I am now logged in. There is no option to select Samsung Galaxy Note 9 as my current phone. Why is there no option for the Note 9? It jumps from Note 8 to Note 10.1.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am now logged in. There is no option to select Samsung Galaxy Note 9 as my current phone. Why is there no option for the Note 9? It jumps from Note 8 to Note 10.1.

Thank you.
I'm not sure I follow?
But for MMS issue have you tried a different texting app like Google message or Textra?

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow?
But for MMS issue have you tried a different texting app like Google message or Textra?

You recommended creating an account--I didn't realize I already have an account, so there was no need to create one, but I am now logged in.

As for the "no Note 9 option," Note 9 doesn't appear to exist on here as a phone that exists. All the options skip from Note 8 to Note 10.1. I don't quite understand that.

As for the third party texting app, I'd really rather root out the issue as it pertains to wifi calling as it pertains to the factory texting app, as it seems like a solvable problem.

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You recommended creating an account--I didn't realize I already have an account, so there was no need to create one, but I am now logged in.

As for the "no Note 9 option," Note 9 doesn't appear to exist on here as a phone that exists. All the options skip from Note 8 to Note 10.1. I don't quite understand that.

As for the third party texting app, I'd really rather root out the issue as it pertains to wifi calling as it pertains to the factory texting app, as it seems like a solvable problem.

Thanks.
There is a Note 9 forums here .
The reason I ask to try a 3rd party message app to see if your issue continues to it , that way I can tell you where to start . Trying isolating if it just the stock message app or something else

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
There is a Note 9 forums here .
The reason I ask to try a 3rd party message app to see if your issue continues to it , that way I can tell you where to start . Trying isolating if it just the stock message app or something else

I downloaded and tried Google Messages. I can receive MMS through there.

Under my profile, I couldn't find an option to select Note 9 as my current phone. Good to know there's a forum.

Thanks for your help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I downloaded and tried Google Messages. I can receive MMS through there.

Under my profile, I couldn't find an option to select Note 9 as my current phone. Good to know there's a forum.

Thanks for your help.
Your welcome ! Can try clearing cache and force stop the stock message app , if it doesn't work possible bug with it .

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
May I suggest you boot the phone into recovery mode and clear the partition cache I do this when ever I receive a major software update and it is effective for taking care of bugs without having to back up your data like with a factory reset.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow?

He means, this.
The drop down, for choosing your PRIMARY Phone, in MANAGE ACCOUNT, is missing the Note 9, and has been, since I got mine last November. I'm surprised that this has not been rectified by now.
The list contains the Note 7, which no one is supposed to still have, but not the 9, which I'm certain that many use as their primary phone. \_0_/ Screenshot_20191015-061827_Chrome.jpeg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
He means, this.
The drop down, for choosing your PRIMARY Phone, in MANAGE ACCOUNT, is missing the Note 9, and has been, since I got mine last November. I'm surprised that this has not been rectified by now.
The list contains the Note 7, which no one is supposed to still have, but not the 9, which I'm certain that many use as their primary phone. \_0_/ View attachment 311693
Gotcha , Verizon thing?

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
This is the case. Seems weird. Do they start counting the phones different or something?

Regarding my issue: clearing the cache/storage for the default messaging app didn't help.

What carrier? My friend and I are having the exact same issue on AT&T. Both of us with a Note 9.

This issue started right after getting the September security patch at the end of last month (N960USQU2CSI1)

Discovered it was wifi calling as I would reset my network settings and it would work fine, until I re-enabled wifi calling then BAM, it would stop working. Once I disabled wifi calling, it would work again. Same exact thing for my friend on his Note 9.

Some of the things I did to troubleshoot:

1) Reset network settings
2) Wiped cache partition
3) Had AT&T reset my provisioning
4) Went so far as to do an IMEI swap to an iPhone to provision on the network with Apple configuration, thus ensuring that all android elements were wiped on the network - checked that all Apple services were working like iMessage, then swapped back to Android, enabled wifi, then ensured Advanced messaging was turned on and working and could send/receive MMS. Then turned on wifi calling- failed at that point.
5) My default SMS was Textra, but I also tried the default Samsung Messages, tried Google Messages - same results.

dontbesojumpy

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
What carrier? My friend and I are having the exact same issue on AT&T. Both of us with a Note 9.

This issue started right after getting the September security patch at the end of last month (N960USQU2CSI1)

Discovered it was wifi calling as I would reset my network settings and it would work fine, until I re-enabled wifi calling then BAM, it would stop working. Once I disabled wifi calling, it would work again. Same exact thing for my friend on his Note 9.

Some of the things I did to troubleshoot:

1) Reset network settings
2) Wiped cache partition
3) Had AT&T reset my provisioning
4) Went so far as to do an IMEI swap to an iPhone to provision on the network with Apple configuration, thus ensuring that all android elements were wiped on the network - checked that all Apple services were working like iMessage, then swapped back to Android, enabled wifi, then ensured Advanced messaging was turned on and working and could send/receive MMS. Then turned on wifi calling- failed at that point.
5) My default SMS was Textra, but I also tried the default Samsung Messages, tried Google Messages - same results.

ATT is my carrier as well.

So did your troubleshooting resolve the issue?

Thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool