Samsung Note Pro 12.2: Screen flickering problems

ABKudva

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I have now got the battery connectors resoldered also but the issue restarts within 2 to 3 weeks. Thesoldering had been done twice now. My repair person has only done the solder from the top side of the circuit board and not really unscrewed the circuit board. Could be be missing anything doing it this way? Btw I have had the Samsung case since the day I bought the tablet, has made zero difference. The flickering issue is a ongoing pain for last 6 to 7 months, and the tablet is only 9 months old

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
One more thing can cause flickering: Check your battery if it can go off the connector easily, loose battery cable connector also causes problem. The way to fix battery cable connector can be done by pushing these clips closer to make a good contact with pins on battery connector. You may need magnified glass and small screw driver to work on these tiny connectors.
Battery Connector.jpg

Weak battery also causes flickering, new battery on Ebay only around $30. After the battery connector fixed, a re work with loose battery cable connector or new battery will fix flickering screen. Trust me, 90% problem is from battery connector, 10% is from battery but without rework the battery connector, new battery won't solve the problem. An old battery may still work but cable connector doesn't fully contact with 6 pins on battery connector header, your tablet will flicker. If you're not good at fixing this tiny connector, change new battery will solve the problem.

Last edited:

ironboy74

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 178024

This is where you should look for flickering problem. If it's moving when pushing the connector or the pins misaligned with solders joints, then you have a cracked battery connector.
The fix is simple: reheat to melt the solder and add more to secure these pins to motherboard.

Hi, Beut. I want to try your method. I remove back cover of my Tab Pro 12.2". Though I don't see "moving" when I push the power connector, I still want to give a shoot. But the question is, the pins are way too tiny, I am wondering I would destroy it, since I almost never use a soldering gun...Do you have any suggestion to reduce the risk? Can you please what I should buy? (I have no soldering tools...) Appreciate if you can advice anything. Thanks.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
You would probably be ahead to find someone experienced at soldering electrical components to pay to do it rather than trying yourself. It's an expensive device to practice on.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Any repair shop or who know how to rework can help you with little charge, as much as $30. Don't try to do it yourself, even myself without magnified glass I will mess up the board as the connector is very close to other components. Be careful with the main board as you don't have extra components to replace once you screw up.
A temporary fix if you don't know how to solder: add some thing thick like paper on the top of battery connector with a tape. A pressure from the rear cover to the battery connector may help but a permanent fix : re solder the battery connector need to be done.

Read this post, a Samsung repair center will do the same thing : replace the battery connector header, but re solder is sufficient to fix this problem, no need to replace the connector.
[Q] Note pro 12.2 screen flickers - Post #74 - XDA Forums
It Works. Battery connector replaced. Smoooooth - Post #100 - XDA Forums
Three sources causing flickering screen:
1- Battery connector on mainboard ( major ).
2- Battery cable connector ( minor ).
3- Bad battery. ( minor ).
Some will still see the flickering screen after re solder the battery connector, a little more work to fix it. This time it comes from the connector attached to battery's cable.
This is the top view of this connector:

Mon Jul 13 13-30-23.jpg

This one, one cable is pulled out to see how it makes contact with pin of the connector soldered to mother board

Wed Jul 29 13-08-45 (2).jpg

This case, all pins make good contact:

Good Contac.jpg

This case, two pins on the left side don't make good contact, they sit in the middle of the opening of battery cable's terminals.

Bad Contact.jpg

How to fix: push the opening closer so these cables can make good contact with pins of battery connector.

Mon Jul 13 13-30-37.jpg

How to do it with a thin knife; the closer the better contact . Many good working batteries are wasted, because most users don't know this trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU0OoZSbma8

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

RobbieJA

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice -- I am having the same problem, along with spontaneous rebooting and an occasionally unresponsive screen. Will having a Samsung approved repair take the back off the tablet invalidate the warranty? Is this covered by the warranty? This tablet is 4 months old.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice -- I am having the same problem, along with spontaneous rebooting and an occasionally unresponsive screen. Will having a Samsung approved repair take the back off the tablet invalidate the warranty? Is this covered by the warranty? This tablet is 4 months old.

Your tablet is still under Warranty, you should send back for repair. Any way, Samsung tablet doesn't have any kind of seal inside, no problem to open it as long as it doesn't have any sign of damage. I see many silly users, try to open a tablet without any research to learn how to open it, they damage their tablets badly and it will void the warranty, like open a locking tab on a connector a wrong way and break it or damage the LCD frame.
I saw one user trying to fix flickering screen and broke the LCD connector. Instead of open the locking tab and pull out the LCD cable, he pried the connector and broke it. He actually fixed the flicker problem as the one he could see is a BLACK screen. Samsung award his effort by asking for $350 to fix original problem and a new LCD assembly.
Any issues should be covered except physical damages.
This dreaded flickering screen is common problem of this tablet regardless old or new. As of today, flickering screen and Bluetooth issue are only threats reach over 100,000 views.

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Another question: Has Samsung responded to issues ike this?

A Samsung repair center will do 2 things to fix this problem:
1- Re solder the black connector to main board.
2- Solder the white female connector directly to black male connector by cutting the plastic cover at cables' terminal.
This re work I saw from a tablet returned from service.

cunparis

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to buy this tablet and I'm investigating this issue. Do most tablets have this or only a few? When a tablet has it, does it have it right away or does it take months for the battery connectors to crack?

It's not for sale in France so I will have to buy it from a German seller. It'll still have warranty, but returning it might not be as easy.

Thanks

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to buy this tablet and I'm investigating this issue. Do most tablets have this or only a few? When a tablet has it, does it have it right away or does it take months for the battery connectors to crack?

It's not for sale in France so I will have to buy it from a German seller. It'll still have warranty, but returning it might not be as easy.

Thanks
This isn't an easy answer, some early reports on flickering were apparently software related (the case where it occurs during video playback but nowhere else) , at least mine was and it somehow resolved itself because I haven't seen it in months. For the battery connection issue you would not get an accurate count of unaffected units simply because those users happily enjoy their units without reporting in. Only samsung would have an idea based upon the observation of repairs that they do and tracking batches but I doubt that they would release such information.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

Thanks

Depending on how you handle your tablet. Some new tablets might have it after few months. Even new main board replaced, some might have it within 3 to 6 months due to the loose main board, sitting on a flexible frame and LCD.
This cracked battery connectors happen most with tablet having battery connector at the center. The larger, the more likely it will crack, flickering screen is seen the most at 12.2 model, next is the 10.1 like P600, identical but smaller screen size.
However, you know the source of problem and the fix is simple, it takes only under 5 minutes for experienced techs or re work guys.
Bluetooth issue after upgrade to Lollipop and Flickering Screen are only 2 threats reach over 100,000 views as of today.

cunparis

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading lots of reviews on the 12.2 and I'm having second thoughts about buying one. I'd like to get feedback on some of my findings.

The first issue is reliability problems. It's not just screen flickering but reading amazon reviews there are lots of people who had problems with charging, dying, etc. I still have my ipad (1 or 2 I can't remember it's so old) which works great.

Bloatware. It seems the samsung is full of it and one can't get rid of it, and it's always popping up.

No one sells these in France so it's not possible to see one in person. I went to the samsung store in Paris and they didn't even have one. I think samsung will have a newer version next year. I'm concerned that it might be too big. I want to use it on the metro on my commute.

Lag. a lot of people complain about the lag.

1.6 ratio for reading books isn't ideal. I'm now considering the new Tab S2. I'd give up the s-pen, but for reading which is probably what I do the most, it'd be nice. I'd like to have a 12" 4:3 tablet, so I'm looking for one but there aren't many.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The first issue is reliability problems. It's not just screen flickering but reading amazon reviews there are lots of people who had problems with charging, dying, etc. I still have my ipad (1 or 2 I can't remember it's so old) which works great.
You can look around for other Samsung tablets, but all have the same common problem of flickering or quick discharge, especially with big size from 10.1 to 12.2, all come from cracked battery connector. You should pay attention to this fact and know how to handle it if purchase one in the future.
Otherwise, look for Apple products which are more reliable than Samsung.

trek007

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 178024

This is where you should look for flickering problem. If it's moving when pushing the connector or the pins misaligned with solders joints, then you have a cracked battery connector.
The fix is simple: reheat to melt the solder and add more to secure these pins to motherboard.

I reheated the solder on the board of a battery connection on a brand new tablet. Had flickering problem as well as charging. An easy fix for those inclined.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I reheated the solder on the board of a battery connection on a brand new tablet. Had flickering problem as well as charging. An easy fix for those inclined.
Reheat will not work permanently as gradually it will Crack again. I see some new main boards have cracked battery connector just after few months. You should add as much solders as possible, the main board sits on top a flexible LCD and only secured with 3 screws . That's the reason this problem is most seen in 10 inches or larger Samsung tablets.

Solders should be added like this, the more the better of prevent it from cracking

JNTC.jpg

And original battery connector with weak solder joints

Cracked Battery Connector.jpg

Last edited:

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading lots of reviews on the 12.2 and I'm having second thoughts about buying one. I'd like to get feedback on some of my findings.

Bloatware. It seems the samsung is full of it and one can't get rid of it, and it's always popping up.

No one sells these in France so it's not possible to see one in person. I went to the samsung store in Paris and they didn't even have one. I think samsung will have a newer version next year. I'm concerned that it might be too big. I want to use it on the metro on my commute.

Lag. a lot of people complain about the lag.

1.6 ratio for reading books isn't ideal. I'm now considering the new Tab S2. I'd give up the s-pen, but for reading which is probably what I do the most, it'd be nice. I'd like to have a 12" 4:3 tablet, so I'm looking for one but there aren't many.
I've had my Note Pro 12.2 for a few months now and only problem I had was related to that first Lollipop update and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Subsequent update corrected that. I'm extremely pleased with my tablet. Also have iPad Air provided by employer and Note is a far better product for business use.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Gerard Freeman

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
One thing I learned is that buying a refurbished tablet is cheaper and better I think. Because they fix all the problems they had at first when it was new. I also notice that a lot of tablets flicker sooner or later. My Acer Aconia 500A started flickering after 2 years of use. My question is, what do they flicker? Is it a design flaw or what?