Samsung Pay not what I imagined.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought Samsung pay could automatically magnetically read any (credit) card I want and then magnetically replay it at payment terminal at command. Turns out it's limited to only a supported list of credit cards and store cards, which sadly doesn't seem to include discover card.
Will an app be able to do what I imagined ?

I wish it would accept Discover. But it works with a few of my other credit cards(AMEX, Citi, and Wells Fargo). Which I usually just leave at home now, since I just use Samsung Pay. Bought a water bottle at work, 60 cents and got the $20 Visa Reward card. Nice!! :)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I love Samsung pay. I also wish it supported more cards but I had the same issue with Android pay. I know this may not be an option for everyone, but with Android pay, I just got a card that it supported. Once I figured out how to use it correctly, I really enjoy Samsung pay.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I use it constantly. I've found that at times you have to reposition the card, but I find it works at 9 out of ten places. Much more secure than swiping your card.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No app will be able to do that because it's a security risk. The reason banks have to be on board is because they use a token system and that has to be approved by your bank. Without that, Samsung Pay would be very easy to spoof and more fraud could occur. So while what you're saying is possible, no company would ever do it
Unless the OP can somehow fit his phone into the magnetic card reader slot, it is also physically impossible to work as he imagined.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I just made a stop at our local really good cupcake shop they use a tablet with one of those little square reader that they stick in the top I was able to use Samsung pay on my phone to buy the cupcake they thought that was the coolest thing they have ever seen lol

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
This right here. I didn't use Android Pay at all because they didn't have Chase. Now, I rarely pull out my cards since Samsung Pay works for me. Waiting to get to the point when Chase ATM's will work with it (or with the Chase app, whichever comes first).
I have chase as well check out the thread I just posted about the cupcake shop

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
That's disappointing to hear that Discover won't work, as that's my primary card. I'm starting to use my Chase card more anyway so at least that one will work.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
One thing you have to remember it's not Samsung Pay, it's the banks. They need to allow their cards to be compatible/work with Samsung Pay, it' can't be that difficult as the list of newly added banks continues to grow.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if my thin rubber case is the reason why I cannot get Samsung Pay to work? I was at Wal Mart, where it did not work and then my grocery story where the cashier says it works for some but not for others. She had one work earlier this morning but it did not work for me. My cards are supported and I am ready to use. What the heck gives!?

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a case on my phone and have only had one time it didn't work. I've used it at several locations/different stores and not had problems but I tried it at a Subway for the first time last weekend and it didn't work... rare occurrence but it can happen.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
....and a lot of merchants don't allow Samsung Pay. ShopRite and Home Depot are two major ones (small mom and pop stores block it too) where they ask for the card to be inserted in the chip reader to perform the transaction. It's pretty disappointing that these merchants don't allow it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay ... I think I figured it out. With Android Pay the app does not have to be open at first. Tapping the terminal prompts the app open. The Samsung Pay app and desired card must be open and ready to go for it to work. I have a square contactless reader and I charged myself a dollar and figured it out. Got my $20 Samsung card and now I know how to use the darn thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail