Samsung Pay not what I imagined.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You can always use a gear s2...

What? I never knew that!! I have a LG Urbane but I had no idea that the Gear S2 would transmit the signal as well? That is very cool and may tip the scales in Samsung's favor when I upgrade my watch! :) Thanks!

Would be nice if it worked with the Gear Fit 2. lol

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay ... I think I figured it out. With Android Pay the app does not have to be open at first. Tapping the terminal prompts the app open. The Samsung Pay app and desired card must be open and ready to go for it to work. I have a square contactless reader and I charged myself a dollar and figured it out. Got my $20 Samsung card and now I know how to use the darn thing.

I like Android Pay because of that.. but now I'm okay with swiping up for Samsung Pay and Samsung Pay seems to just do more - like hold my gift cards, and the periodic promotions they have. Also, one thing I really like about Samsung Pay is that the charges go through on my statement as if I used my credit card at the merchant, with their names. If I recall, Android Pay charges come across something like ANDROID PAY_ BEST BUY or something like that. It made it seem like Samsung Pay was more seamless. Also, I get instantly notified of any charges on my card regardless of whether or not Samsung Pay was used... Oops, didn't mean to turn this into a commercial for Samsung Pay. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if my thin rubber case is the reason why I cannot get Samsung Pay to work? I was at Wal Mart, where it did not work and then my grocery story where the cashier says it works for some but not for others. She had one work earlier this morning but it did not work for me. My cards are supported and I am ready to use. What the heck gives!?

No. I have had a case on all my phones and it did not affect Samsung Pay.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if my thin rubber case is the reason why I cannot get Samsung Pay to work? I was at Wal Mart, where it did not work and then my grocery story where the cashier says it works for some but not for others. She had one work earlier this morning but it did not work for me. My cards are supported and I am ready to use. What the heck gives!?

All of your questions and many more are already answered on the AndroidCentral Samsung Pay forum. You should check it out.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me it's become less reliable, get lots of card error even with NFC terminal. Don't have those issues with Apple pay, going to just use Android pay to see how it goes and just use Samsung pay when there is some promotion or something. Sure I'll miss Samsung pay at non NFC terminal but if it's not reliable every time then it's tough to use.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I only use one CC (Capitol One) but SP didn't support it so I used a Citi Double Cash card. LOVE using the SP. It's pure entertainment value <lol> I'm sure before too long the fun will come to an end as more people use it. It's worked everywhere. But, I have a question. I place the back of my phone to the edge of the card reader (where you would swipe a card). Is that where It goes? Sometimes it beeps right away and sometimes it takes a bit longer as I move the phone up and down the edge of the reader. And do some people place the phone on the card reader's screen?

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it out and it works great. I wasn't aware you can pay without nfc so this is great as it works anywhere you can swipe a card. I got notification of reward right away and it added debit card with $20.

I am new to android, can samsung work with tap to pay (nfc) with the phone off or will that load android pay which I don't have setup? I will test it out when I can but wondering if anyone knows.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I like Samsung and Android pay, but I have to say Apple pay still destroys them both in terms of ease of use. There's no swiping up or logging in. You just put the phone up to the terminal, it recognizes what you're doing, displays the credit card icon, and you authorize with your fingerprint. Android pay is close with the Nexus 6P in that the fingerprint scanner is on the back, and the NFC antennae is right up at the top, like the Iphone.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
All of your questions and many more are already answered on the AndroidCentral Samsung Pay forum. You should check it out.

I actually answered my question through my own square reader but I will check out that forum as well. Thanks for the tip.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I thought Samsung pay could automatically magnetically read any (credit) card I want and then magnetically replay it at payment terminal at command. Turns out it's limited to only a supported list of credit cards and store cards, which sadly doesn't seem to include discover card.
Will an app be able to do what I imagined ?

The problem is not with Samsung Pay, but with your bank. My bank and credit union are not signed up yet. Hoever. My Chase Amazon CR is. So is my COSTCO CITI visa card. Both work great at almost any terminal.
I love it when the clerk says it won't work and when it does they take out their iPhone and ask "how do I get my phone to do that?". My response is "sell your iPhone and buy a samsung "

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I like Samsung and Android pay, but I have to say Apple pay still destroys them both in terms of ease of use. There's no swiping up or logging in. You just put the phone up to the terminal, it recognizes what you're doing, displays the credit card icon, and you authorize with your fingerprint. Android pay is close with the Nexus 6P in that the fingerprint scanner is on the back, and the NFC antennae is right up at the top, like the Iphone.

Actually Apple Pay doesn't work with magnetic strip reading terminals at all whereas Samsung Pay does. In fact with a trick to activate gas pump card readers Samsung Pay even works at the gas pump. So while Apple Pay may have less steps for use with chip reader terminals it is useless on the older and far more common magnetic strip readers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I disagree 100%. I would take a swipe up then fingerprint any day for the convenience of using Samsung Pay on any card reader versus Apple Pay having to use NFC only or you can't use it.

moc426

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung pay is awesome, and I just found out you can swipe up from the home button on the always on display as well and it works great. Have to see how nfc with screen locked works, I am assuming it triggers android pay.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually Apple Pay doesn't work with magnetic strip reading terminals at all whereas Samsung Pay does. In fact with a trick to activate gas pump card readers Samsung Pay even works at the gas pump. So while Apple Pay may have less steps for use with chip reader terminals it is useless on the older and far more common magnetic strip readers.

I was simply talking about ease of use, and know that Apple Pay doesn't work everywhere and only uses NFC.

I disagree 100%. I would take a swipe up then fingerprint any day for the convenience of using Samsung Pay on any card reader versus Apple Pay having to use NFC only or you can't use it.

Fair point. I also like the convenience, and the fact that I can use Samsung pay just about anywhere. I just don't like the delay in swiping up, but that's just me. When using it today, I swipe up, the phone lagged slightly, there was a slight delay, then it prompted for my fingerprint( all the while the cashier is asking if I swiped my card yet). Samsung Pay is nice and I like it but, I still like the way Apple pay works better.

In fairness to Samsung Pay however, the way I think loopPay works (the technology that allows it to scan magnetic card readers) you have to have a way of choosing between it or NFC, so swiping up is probably the only way. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple had a patent on the way Apple Pay works.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I was simply talking about ease of use, and know that Apple Pay doesn't work everywhere and only uses NFC.

Fair point. I also like the convenience, and the fact that I can use Samsung pay just about anywhere. I just don't like the delay in swiping up, but that's just me. When using it today, I swipe up, the phone lagged slightly, there was a slight delay, then it prompted for my fingerprint( all the while the cashier is asking if I swiped my card yet). Samsung Pay is nice and I like it but, I still like the way Apple pay works better.

In fairness to Samsung Pay however, the way I think loopPay works (the technology that allows it to scan magnetic card readers) you have to have a way of choosing between it or NFC, so swiping up is probably the only way. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple had a patent on the way Apple Pay works.

Actually, it is Samsung who purchased the company had the patents and the hardware to allow for use with magnetic strip terminals.
You don't have to choose which method within the app to use with Samsung Pay as both NFC and magnetic strip methods are activated by opening the app. If you want to use magnetic strip you put the phone near the strip reading slot, if you are at a Tap n Pay reader you tab the appropriate area on the reader, and it has a card chip slot you put the pone by the slot, and let the magic happen.
The Android Central Samsung Pay Forum has lots of good information by some very tech savvy folks concerning this.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Actually, it is Samsung who purchased the company had the patents and the hardware to allow for use with magnetic strip terminals.
You don't have to choose which method within the app to use with Samsung Pay as both NFC and magnetic strip methods are activated by opening the app. If you want to use magnetic strip you put the phone near the strip reading slot, if you are at a Tap n Pay reader you tab the appropriate area on the reader, and it has a card chip slot you put the pone by the slot, and let the magic happen.
The Android Central Samsung Pay Forum has lots of good information by some very tech savvy folks concerning this.

MODERATOR: kindly remove this duplicate post. Thanks.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Samsung Pay since my old S6E days, I was one of the early beta testers in fact. It's an awesome awesome thing. And I find the Note 7 is much quicker and much more reliable than S6E/S7/S7E. Works every time, all my cards are supported.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I went back and re-read my post, and I didn't mean it the way you interpreted it. . I know the basics about Samsung Pay, and how it works. By choosing, I only meant how the technology may work, using NFC or LoopPay, in that swiping up enables whatever it's pushing out of the phone, allowing you to choose between where you need to position the phone, depending on the terminal.

With Apple Pay you just put the phone next to the terminal near the appropriate area, and the phone automatically recognizes this. You then just authenticate with your fingerprint. You don't have to unlock the phone or swipe anything, just position your phone and tap your finger on the home button. This make is more easier and seamless from my experience..

Samsung pay would be even more awesome IMO if you could do it that way. Just position your phone in the appropriate area, weather using NFC or the magnetic method, and tap the home button with your finger.

The point I was trying to make was maybe Apple had the patent for doing it exactly that way, which is why Samsung doesn't do it. Or, since Samsung pay uses two different technologies, it has to be done the way they implement it (swiping up) I'm not sure. I will check the area on the forums you mentioned, because I'm interested in all that stuff and would like to know more.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Pay is excellent. The only times I have used Samsung Pay and it didn't work was with the card readers you can get that attach to Apple devices and one time while getting a haircut and I think that time was my fault.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos