Samsung S6/Android Group MMS Issue

Lennon33x

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
So I switched from an iPhone about 2 weeks ago. Totally dig the S6. Here's my issue though. My wife, sister in law and brother in law have had a continuous group message going for several months. Everyone had an iPhone, using iMessage, no problem. But I jumped ship, and then the messages started falling off.

Initially everything worked, and then I stopped receiving pictures about 2-3 days ago, but now I'm not receiving any messages from them in the group. I've disabled iMessage on my iCloud account, on my other iPads, and I sent the SMS to 48369 to STOP and discontinue iMessage. I talked to AT&T today about the problem, and they had me switch SIM cards and rebooted my system. It's kinda frustrating that I can't receive group text messages from iPhone users that I have a previous message in.

Anyone know how to fix this issue or a work around??

Thanks

timdsmith72

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Best I can tell, Apple seems to think that once you use an iPhone, you'll never use anything else. If you're ever in a group message with all other iPhone users, their iPhones will keep assuming you're using iMessage and send your messages off into oblivion. You've already deregistered iMessage and all that jazz. Have the other users delete your contact and re-create it. Tell them to be sure and set the number type as "Mobile" and not "iPhone." Also, they'll all need to delete any old group messages you've been a part of and start over. Sometimes, only sometimes, mind you, that'll work.
Oh, also make sure their setting to use SMS when iMessage isn't available is turned on. That's really all you can do. iPhones just keep happily sending group messages off into the iMessage black hole and Apple doesn't seem to care enough to do anything about it.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Story of my life. 😭
Have everyone in the group thread delete the group thread from their phones. Then when you've confirmed everyone has done that (via individual SMS) have someone restart it with the same participants. I've had hit and miss luck that way. Sometimes you might have to try 2 or 3 times before you get everyone back on board. I've had this work but usually a month down the road I'll stop getting texts from the group again. The last time that happened I reset my phone back to factory settings and set it up all over again. That seemed to do the trick but I was stupid and went back to an iPhone (6S) briefly. I was able to get my group messaging working again but if I get booted out again it probably means I'll have to factory reset again. I should have stayed away from that 6S!

It's been my experience AT&T, Samsung and Apple all like to point fingers at each other but nobody knows how to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I should mention that after my full reset my battery life went from horrible to good so that was another benefit. I just updated to 5.1.1 and my battery life went back to "meh" (although not as bad as it was before) so maybe I am in need of a reset anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jkulmtd

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
So I switched from an iPhone about 2 weeks ago. Totally dig the S6. Here's my issue though. My wife, sister in law and brother in law have had a continuous group message going for several months. Everyone had an iPhone, using iMessage, no problem. But I jumped ship, and then the messages started falling off.

Initially everything worked, and then I stopped receiving pictures about 2-3 days ago, but now I'm not receiving any messages from them in the group. I've disabled iMessage on my iCloud account, on my other iPads, and I sent the SMS to 48369 to STOP and discontinue iMessage. I talked to AT&T today about the problem, and they had me switch SIM cards and rebooted my system. It's kinda frustrating that I can't receive group text messages from iPhone users that I have a previous message in.

Anyone know how to fix this issue or a work around??

Thanks
Not an expert here... but does that first setting have anything to do with it?

Naturally I have mine turned off to avoid every group message turning into a chained conversation like an iPhone as I use this for sending correspondence to office staff. However maybe if you turned that on?

uploadfromtaptalk1444621899781.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8