Scan Now Widget for 4G

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
OK I know its a silly widget, and I'll probably never use it, BUT where the freak is it?? It's not under "widgets", its not under "apps" (obviously if its a widget) I know I'm updated, because I have, the "Blockbuster", "Kindle", and "Nova" apps. Most importantly I have SWYPE!!! Just not seeing the 4G Widget. Anyone else?

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
It's not really a widget. It shows up in the notification bar when you have 4g turned on, and thus can easily scan. I'm assuming it's so it doesn't have to continually scan and kill the battery.

Reactions: GolpherZX

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The weird thing is, even with the new "scan now" thing it still must scan on its own because it will switch me back to 4g when I move back into a 4g area. Not sure what the point is!

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the auto scan is much slower and only polls say, once an hour or who knows. The scan "widget" allows for a quick scan when you want to use it right now, and the auto scan hasn't gone off yet. I'm sure someone on the edge of 4g coverage could try this.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The weird thing is, even with the new "scan now" thing it still must scan on its own because it will switch me back to 4g when I move back into a 4g area. Not sure what the point is!

I've seen that as well. I'm assuming that the change is to a periodic, rather than continual, search for 4G, with the widget in case we get impatient. :)

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What the update did - (1) Place an icon on home screen to remind you that your 4g is on. (2) create an easier access to scan for 4g connection manually, even though the network does it automatically.

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It's not really a widget. It shows up in the notification bar when you have 4g turned on, and thus can easily scan. I'm assuming it's so it doesn't have to continually scan and kill the battery.

Ah ha!

I also found if you go into you 4G settings you can scan from there....seems silly, oh well

nick.anderegg

Dec 28, 2010
nickanderegg.me
I live frustratingly close to 4G coverage (I get none in my house, but if I drive 5 minutes away, I get excellent reception) and it appears that the Scan Now widget is just a way to quickly check. If I leave 4G turned on, it will say that it doesn't have a network even when I drive into a 4G area, but if I hit the scan now widget, it will pick up the 4G network.

I like this new feature, it's better than having to turn 4G off then turn it back on. I wish my house had 4G.:eek:

-Nick :) :) :)

72guy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
OK I know its a silly widget, and I'll probably never use it, BUT where the freak is it?? It's not under "widgets", its not under "apps" (obviously if its a widget) I know I'm updated, because I have, the "Blockbuster", "Kindle", and "Nova" apps. Most importantly I have SWYPE!!! Just not seeing the 4G Widget. Anyone else?

long pause on home screen
widget
settings
4G

nick.anderegg

Dec 28, 2010
nickanderegg.me
I can't say for sure but you probably have some signal. It's like how if you go from 3G to wifi you might connect but have almost no signal.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny