Screen Brightness

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Ambient light sensors and display auto adjust used to be a big joke in Android. Nobody used it because you could be in the sun with a fully dimmed screen our in the dark with a fully lit screen. Recent improvements have changed my mind about using it, and i love it. Some OEMs still can't seem to nail it (like too gradual of increase/decrease brightness), but overall it's actually functional.

Kind of related because someone mentioned it but a different sensor, a stellar example of what I said HERE, Moto has created their own closed source code which uses the proximity sensor to prevent pocket waking/dialing. Appropriately called pocket protection. Great idea, no reason all phones with proximity sensors cant do that, yet someone needs to write unique code to achieve the exact same result and be willing to distribute the code under an open source license so it can be merged with AOSP, CM, AOKP, etc.....

:confused::mad: Gentlemen, grab your pitchforks!!!

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Every display will reflect light, it's glass. Some displays are less reflective than others. The S3 has one of the least reflective displays available(some website tested a bunch). No amoled is as bright as an LCD. But amoleds have much better contrast, which helps in sunlight. I used my S3 outdoors all day today in extremely bright sunlight. With the brightness at max, it is absolutely very readable. And if you tilt the display a little to avoid direct reflection, it is even more readable. Is it better than the One X? I don't know, but the superior contrast will certainly help. I've seen some reviews say the One X was better in sunlight and some say that the S3 was better. I'll bet they are very close.

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The screen is fantastic!

I've had no problems with it at all.

I've found it to be bright enough.

The phones awesome, you'll love it :)

According to some reviews and videos the screen brightness or lack there of is geeting a thumbs down.
Is anybody else concerned with this?
Could this keep you away from the S3?
Do you think they will patch it later?

Just wondering.

And no I have not cancelled my pre order of the S3 yet.

Have a nice day.

tom5

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just to update you guys about the "dots" issue: I have replaced my phone and the new one also has dots but there are fewer dots now and there are no bigger ones so I think I'll stick with it. Still I find this very unfortunate to happen in a flagship device, no matter if it's noticeable in daily use or not.
Below a comparison photo - my first unit is on the left and the new one on the right:

unit12.png

onick

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
According to some reviews and videos the screen brightness or lack there of is geeting a thumbs down.
Is anybody else concerned with this?
Could this keep you away from the S3?
Do you think they will patch it later?

Just wondering.

And no I have not cancelled my pre order of the S3 yet.

Have a nice day.

if the s3's video player is anything like the s2 then there is actually an option called, outdoor visibility, when turned on, it bumped up the brightness and saturation a lot in the videos.

LadiJae

May 30, 2010
Visit site
the screen is nice and bright and looks really good......if you're only looking at your phone, putting it up against my husbands HTC ONE X it looks dull.... nevertheless I still love it....

Alik R

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree with very limited usability in direct sunlight. I was quite surprised putting against Motorola Photon, that is much more readable put together side by side... Not sure if its a deal breaker though, but TMO signal in my office might be...

aje99999

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I too agree the screen is just not bright enough outside.
Had mine about 3 weeks and. If using it in the car for navigation etc then with brightness on full i cant wear sunglasses as its too dim to read clearly!! Outside in sunlight its barely readable at any angle.
Samsung need to sort this if possible maybe with an update? ?
Adey

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I find it's hard to read, at max without auto-dim, with polarized sunglasses....which I realize is the same with all devices, but still....it could be a bit brighter.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I find it's hard to read, at max without auto-dim, with polarized sunglasses....which I realize is the same with all devices, but still....it could be a bit brighter.

I ready perfectly with them in broad daylight

Everyone that complains about the brightness should be using the lux brightness app, I got rid of that non seeing problem months ago

And I also added display brightness this past week and it makes it even easier to see when u combine the two

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this will translate well in the screen shot but that's my screen with lux at half brightness and display brightness app at 84 percent

I was just amazed how bright it is just now, my room is pretty dark right now but still, just wanted to give a lil example of how bright it is when u use them both

With those two apps combined, i have never had a problem seeing the screen in broad daylight

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349391124751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349391124751.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 21
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this shot will show a lil better

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349391384306.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349391384306.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 35

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why reviewers don't just review the screen brightness for devices at 100%. A OEM manufacturer can set the default 50% at different levels. I for one know that the HTC One S default brightness is pretty bright. But I don't think there is much difference on 100%. I mean they are both the same Pentile AMOLED screens.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panohoshi Hxo