Screen unusable while connected to AC charger!!

Marley

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine freaked out when I used a generic charger from WalMart this AM. Also with my EVO3D and WalMart charger. I guess no more chargers from WalMart. :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

OohErMissus

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the jittery screen issue every time I used the Samsung plug block that came with the phone. Verified that it wasn't the cable I was using with it. I've settled for using my old Pre- charger, and the multi-plug Belkin that I carry with me for travel - never encountered the issue with those.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I just experienced the jittery screen for the first time with a generic cable and wall plug I got from Monoprice. Funny I didn't notice this issue before. First time I've seen it happen.

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This just doesn't happen only with this phone. I experienced it many times with my wife's old Nexus S 4G using a HTC charger. The phone became almost unsuable to the point I was about to throw it, until I decided to walk upstairs and grab the oem Samsung cord. Problem solved. Luckily I haven't had this issue with either mine or my wife's EpTouch!

tronthedon

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine was also unusable when charging with the included AC adapter. I switched to my Hero's adapter (with the GS2 USB cable) and it's been charging just fine while remaining usable. It's also okay when charging on the PC's USB port.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had this issue with both my new E4GT and my old Evo 4G. It seems to happen with certain non-OEM charging USB 'blocks' and/or cables. With the E4GT, using the charger included with it has solved the problem, which I narrowed down to some USB wall charging blocks (e.g. looks like the iPhone USB wall charging block but black) that I bought from eBay (but that worked fine with my Evo 4G). Non-OEM micro USB cables that I've used seem to be fine though.

In my experience, this occurs when charging from an AC adapter that has the incorrect voltage...or a bad USB cable.

^ this. There are probably a bad bunch of power supplies being shipped out.

Does it do this out of the box after a hard reset with no apps installed? Ehem like evil task killers or juice defenders or whatever they call them?

Also, word of advice. Don't ever go cheap on power supplies, cables, or batteries. You are only asking for trouble. Instead shop around for the lowest priced OEM replacements only.

tronthedon

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't return the phone yet. I had the exact same problem, but it went away after a couple of days. So give it some time to see if it gets better.

ok well just an update on my part. After one night of using my Hero adapter, I decided to try the included ET adapter tonight and it works just fine now. The only thing I changed was that I noticed I forgot to take the plastic off the adapter, so I took it off. I doubt this had anything to do with it, but who knows. All I know is that it's working just fine now on the same wall socket with the same USB cable.

*edit*
Spoke too soon. It's screwed up again after about an hour of charging =/ Back to the Hero adapter it is.

Last edited:

t0t

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
If I want to get a longer usb cable(the one in box is ridiculously short), would anyone have any recommendations or any they could link me to? Like cory said I don't want to cheap out on this, I don't think all cables are created equal lol

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my evo 3d charger without any issues. Luckily I have 3 of them.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
As far a chargers, at the store we hear people al the time I can get that at "xxxxx' for less. True but ours at the Sprint store have a warranty 1 year on defects and wont cause issues down the road.

If you need to do a screen test or a few others *#0#*

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem as well. I'm using the stock wall charger. Have had the problem from day one before all the apps were installed.

I think it's a pretty well known problem now, but I'm not freaking out about it.

Sent from my Epic Touch

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this problem as well. Weird thing is that some days it's worse than others from different outlets. It will lag and freeze up while charging BUT it only acts like that for about 30 minutes on the charger. After that time elapses it acts fine while charging. I'm not too worried about but only concern is that if it is indeed a voltage issue could this damage the phone in the long run??

dyep1988

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this problem ever since I got my brand new Epic 4G touch a few days ago. I don't know why it's doing this since I'm using the wall charger that came with the damn phone! It gets really annoying when this happens and I hope Samsung comes out with a fix real soon.

cpuOahu

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Called Samsung. The issue with the AC adapter is not in their knowledge base yet. The CSR wanted me to return the phone. I said no. Then he said if I can confirm it is indeed the adapter (I don't currently have another one), I can contact them and just send the adapter in.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been having this issue as well. Couple observations. When i use a droid 2 charger, i have no issues. The samsung charger seems to be the trigger but more importantly, the touch screen is not useable...the phone is fine its just the inputs dont work. Makes me thing the charger isnt regulating voltage and causing a short internally in the touchscreen grid.

justinblott

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The samsung charger seems to be the trigger but more importantly, the touch screen is not useable...the phone is fine its just the inputs dont work. Makes me thing the charger isnt regulating voltage and causing a short internally in the touchscreen grid.

If this is true, they need to own up quickly and send out new charges because it's a pain in the neck. The phone (or most current smart phones) doesn't exactly hold a charge for long so it's nice to be able to use the phone while it's plugged into an outlet.