Screen Won't Rotate

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone experienced this problem? Just now as I was trying to watch a YouTube video, I noticed it would not enter landscape mode so I could watch it. I checked screen orientation and all that. Nothing. Tried different apps to see if it was just YouTube, nothing. Chrome. Falcon. Even Tapatalk. Rebooted the phone, nothing. I'm running everything stock too except my kernel. Don't know why this is happening but I hope it's not a hardware use issue because that would be a pain.

Wondering if this happened to anyone else and how they fixed it if they did.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gunshotlead

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Try pausing the video and rotating to troubleshoot. Personally, I was annoyed with the Home Screen not rotating (vs my N7) so I resurrected my Ultimate Rotation paid app when I had a Gingerbread phone. Now everything rotates properly.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Try pausing the video and rotating to troubleshoot. Personally, I was annoyed with the Home Screen not rotating (vs my N7) so I resurrected my Ultimate Rotation paid app when I had a Gingerbread phone. Now everything rotates properly.

Just tried it. Failed.

Downloaded a gyroscope calibration app to make sure the phone was responding to the movements of my phone and it was. So I don't know what the issue could be.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Just letting you know, you could also use Nova Launcher to do this.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
try a factory reset. could be an app or a bug in your software.

Would really love to avoid resetting the whole phone. I understand that could do the trick but I'm hoping there's another method out there I could try. Landscape mode is not super important but it's a minor annoyance and I don't wanna have to backup, reset, and restore just because of it.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just try a proper power off and reboot...

Stated in my post already that I did that. Didn't work.

BUT, saw a thread like this in the S3 forums and a user suggested I simply smack the back of the phone hard enough. Such a simple method, like smacking a remote back in the day, but it worked and now my phone rotates again. No factory reset needed or anything. Thanks for the help everyone.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Stated in my post already that I did that. Didn't work.

BUT, saw a thread like this in the S3 forums and a user suggested I simply smack the back of the phone hard enough. Such a simple method, like smacking a remote back in the day, but it worked and now my phone rotates again. No factory reset needed or anything. Thanks for the help everyone.

That's a very odd solution... but the good thing is that it's working again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's a very odd solution... but the good thing is that it's working again.

Yeah. I'm thinking maybe the gyroscope or whatever got stuck. Not sure how these hardware related things work. I'm guessing it got stuck and a strong enough pat on the back of the phone got it loose again. I could be wrong though.

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Had the same issue yesterday. Finally went to the stock camera app. It fixed the issue right away.

Shannon Flood

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Holy hell.

All the advanced technology of a Nexus device, and slapping it on the back just freed up my gyro as well.

I am really starting to get scared of my N4 after discovering that it has no warranty, since I purchased it off CL (sealed). It is really a shame that LG, or Google will not honor a warranty if you are not the original purchaser, considering all the supply issues in the beginning. I would have loved to be the original purchaser, but I did not want to wait a month for my phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrewbline