SD Card Notification keeps popping up - Help !

nothinelse

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Thought I'd add my 2 cents - got a T-Mobile brand S7 last week and put a cheap PNY 128GB card in (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W77C1W...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5138798) and had issues right from the start. Card wouldn't recognize at all, I ended up having to format it in my laptop first. Then when it finally mounted in the phone I had intermittent unmounting/re-mounted while the screen was off. The frequency of errors seemed to drop a bit after I restarted and reseated the card very carefully but still wasn't a solution. I tried encrypting it and that seemed to break it completely. The card wouldn't recognize at all anymore.

I replaced it with a Samsung EVO+ 64GB yesterday and it has worked flawlessly since. I tested switching back and forth between the 2 cards a few times and the PNY never mounted again, the Samsung has worked 100% so far. It's only been one day so far but it also lasted the night with no errors.

Some curious testing results from everyone that still leave me scratching my head:

- If it's a HW issue, why does it only happen when the phone is asleep and not moving (at least in my case)? It never once happened while I had it in my hand. If it's a case of bad connections, surely bumping the phone while it's on would also trigger the fault?
- If it's a SW issue, why are some people finding solutions by simply replacing the card?

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Some curious testing results from everyone that still leave me scratching my head:

- If it's a HW issue, why does it only happen when the phone is asleep and not moving (at least in my case)? It never once happened while I had it in my hand. If it's a case of bad connections, surely bumping the phone while it's on would also trigger the fault?
- If it's a SW issue, why are some people finding solutions by simply replacing the card?

While backing up my Nova settings to the card, the notification popped. Then the screen went black. Had to use the sleep button to get my homescreen back. Checked the card and nothing had been written to it. The folder that I created to put the backup in wasn't there, either. Created the folder in the save dialog.

This tells me that the card unmounted/re-mounted at that exact time, whether due to software or hardware.

So, for me it is not just an annoying notification. The card was actually not being written to.

And for information: using my old 16GB PNY card from my old Note 2, I only ever got the notification on reboot. This bs started today after putting in a new SanDisk 64GB SDXC class 10.

DeerFilm

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
tonight i had a pop up saying to update the software on my phone, it seemed to take a long while, and when everything was done, I no longer get the sd pop up message. I even restarted my phone a few times.
Has anyone else do the new update?
very happy no more pop up sd message. :) Will let you know if it appears again.

BigHonu

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Just to update this thread and keep the information in one place, I have not had the notification pop up since installing the latest ATT update on the 20th.

Anatar

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Same here, no more sd card notification since the ATT update, thank God!

Also on a separate but equally important issue, I just took a slowmo video and watched it and did not notice a single frame skip; something I was getting frequently in every slowmo video I had taken prior to the update. My phone for the time, is now perfect! :)

the_jmike

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
**PoSsIbLe FiX (short but hacky)** I might have found a hacky fix that doesn't require the adb process unfortunately I think it might stop notifications on the lock screen for all system ui notifications. I believe they should still remain in the notifications bar when you unlock your screen but I believe it won't show on lock screen which I can live with. I just held down my finger on the notification for the SD card and I turned off the notifications option for S7edge it was second from the bottom and once you turn it off the bottom option disappears. Its been about 30m and I haven't noticed anything.

Anatar

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
That does not fix it, I'm sure nearly everyone here tried that first thing, if it was that simple this thread wouldn't exist lol. Ty though for the input.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
tonight i had a pop up saying to update the software on my phone, it seemed to take a long while, and when everything was done, I no longer get the sd pop up message. I even restarted my phone a few times.
Has anyone else do the new update?
very happy no more pop up sd message. :) Will let you know if it appears again.

Yesterday's AT&T software update resolved my SD card notification issue ;)

Just to update this thread and keep the information in one place, I have not had the notification pop up since installing the latest ATT update on the 20th.

Same here, no more sd card notification since the ATT update, thank God!

Also on a separate but equally important issue, I just took a slowmo video and watched it and did not notice a single frame skip; something I was getting frequently in every slowmo video I had taken prior to the update. My phone for the time, is now perfect! :)

That does not fix it, I'm sure nearly everyone here tried that first thing, if it was that simple this thread wouldn't exist lol. Ty though for the input.

Let us all know how it is, a week from now. 1 day doesn't cut it. I went all day with out the issue, only to be bombarded by it this evening. No update here. One day is not 'resolved' :)

DeerFilm

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Sure thing, I will let you know next week, or when I get a return pop-up, but I am so happy with the AT&t update, no pop-up issues yet. Super super happy!

happy2000hk

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue with my s7 edge at launch. Reformatted the phone, did not restore from backup from any apps, and the issue never came back in the past 4 weeks. In the first 7 days it was hell. The culprit might have been smart switch, where I was trying to restore from my S6. Anyway, issue has 100% went away after a clean install

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with my s7 edge at launch. Reformatted the phone, did not restore from backup from any apps, and the issue never came back in the past 4 weeks. In the first 7 days it was hell. The culprit might have been smart switch, where I was trying to restore from my S6. Anyway, issue has 100% went away after a clean install

I never used smart switch. Set up phone, clean, out of the box.

Edit: For s&g's I put my old 16gb card (formatted on phone). Going to see if it goes trouble free, like when I initially had this card in the phone.

If so, it's either firmware, or hardware incompatibility (not fitment). Time will tell....ughhh. Only have 7 days left to return the phone...

Last edited:

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Decided to play the lottery and have them send me a new handset, since I'm within the 14 days. Rep said that there is a software update to address the issue. I'm like... "Yeah, with VZW that means like 6 months. Send me a new phone." Bleh.

PS: Not one dismount/mount message since putting in the old card... Guessing their 'support' of this 3yr old technology isn't so up to snuff (samsung).

Last edited:

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue on my pre-order unit. After 3 days of trying everything I just sent it back for a new one. Told them I didn't want a phone from the first stock of phones. Don't know if that helped but my new device is perfect. Don't screw around, get a new one.
Vinny

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue on my pre-order unit. After 3 days of trying everything I just sent it back for a new one. Told them I didn't want a phone from the first stock of phones. Don't know if that helped but my new device is perfect. Don't screw around, get a new one.
Vinny

The funny thing is, this phone is showing a production date of 04/09/2016 according to Phone Info. That's 9 days before I received it, in my hands!

hooman88

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. I got the notification every 10 minutes. I only got it when the phone was locked. I tried watching movies on the phone for 6-7 hours but I never got it when the phone was reading something from SD card. Last sunday (April 17th) I took my phone to samsung at bestbuy to reflash the rom on it. After the reflash until april 20th I only got the notification once. On April 20th I got AT&T update and until today I had no notification. Today I got it once. If it is going to appear every 2-3 days it's fine. I hope that it doesn't keep coming back again.

Forgiven777

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem and this what I have found fixed my problem. I used 2 different 32gb cards, one was a samsung and the other a San disk both class 10. I tried many things including taking to best buy to the samsung person. Everything I tried wouldn't work. This is what finally has for over 24 hours. I found a class 4 16gb micro SD I currently had. I put in my USB micro sd card reader and put in HP PC. I formatted to exfat and put in S7. I have not had any more problems since. Could be the format, class 4 card or just making better connection. I am leaning towards the class4 card. I know that's not what they say works best with 1080 P videos. But I use for music and pictures mostly. All I know us it is working great so far.