Sd card unexpectedly removed.. Anyone else?

jennysmate

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had this too, since mooving to jb. Now cant drag and drop onto card and have to put it into my D2 mp3 player to drag files from pc. I always use "unmount sd card" in settings before removing card from S3 and so far have had no problems

giorgitd

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Same here, Verizon GS3. Had a 32Gb Adata mSD that was failing to be recognized occasionally. Formatted and loaded with music outside the GS3 as FAT32. Substituted a new SanDisk 32Gb mSD, set up the same way, now failing in the same way, including occasional 'unexpectedly removed' messages. Tried all of the mechanical 'fixes'. In both cases, the problem was evident for some time (a month or more) then started and persisted. Very frustrating. Verizon - you listening?

Surjith k

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I do have the same problem.. it happened a number of times, i used to format the memory card to resolve this issue

Suddenly the phone shows SD card removed unexpectedly , then i wont be able to use the SD card. but if i put the same sd card in anyother memory card reader, i am able to use it. only the mobile is failed to detect.. but it works fine after the format..

So what u think ? its the memory card issue or the phone ?:confused:

Vishnu Prasad

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. I have dropped my phone many times due to carelessness. First time my memory card has to be replaced because it was permanently damaged, and none of my devices was able to recognise the memory card. I bought a new card and few days back I dropped it again. Since then it began showing the message - memory card removed unexpectedly, preparing memory card.....

This(my problem) is due to some kind of corruption in the memory card. I dont know, this is the second time the card is damaged when the phone is dropped. My phone have no other problem, not even a scratch, and the fall was from a height of about 0.5 feet only.

To solve the issue, just connect the memory card through a card reader in computer and format it. Do not use quick format. In windows, connect the memory card through a card reader, when the card is detected and drive icon is shown in my computer, right click the icon and select format. Remove the tick mark on quick format and use a regular formatting with fat32. It takes lot of time. It took more than an hour for my 16gb card. After that the error message wont appear again.! It could solve the problem if the problem is due to some kind of corruption, which may be due to any interruption during data reading/writing. Anyways, give it a try. It worked for me. :).

malqasim

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
my dear ,
you have to update the firmware , you will solve your problem . if not broken your mobile :) :mad:

thanks
malqasim

[Facebook URL redacted by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem here is the memory card. Although memory cards do not have moving parts like a good old hard drive, it can still be damaged through drops.

Whenever I disconnect a usb storage or sd card from any android device without unmounting it first I get the same exact error as the OP. If you never disconnected the card physically then the problem is with your sd card or something small in the connector. If you're card is corrupt, have errors, or any problem like that then it can crash, causing you to get that error. Although a reformat can solve your problem temporarily, it will not save it forever. Once you get errors on a memory device you need convince yourself that storage device will soon corrupt (hours, days, weeks, months, years).

If it happens with all the cards you have used, different brands/size/speed, and you don't drop your phone then the problem may lie with the physical connection with the card and the phone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tried blowing in the slot? Old-skool gaming style?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

jakeinator21

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried blowing in it this morning. No luck. Since the first day I got my s3 it would give me this notice randomly. It would tell me the sd card had been unexpectedly removed, and then a few seconds later it would detect it again and say preparing sd card. Haven't found a fix. Taken it out and put it back in multiple ways and multiple times. No change. I would format it to see if that works but I am too lazy. Never have dropped my phone. I've noticed that if i put a little bit of pressure on the outside edge of the sd card while it is in the slot, it recognizes it, but then if I release, it says it's been removed again. It's almost like the spring is pushing it a tiny bit too far back out of the slot.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
you have to update firmware you will solve problem ,
nice day :)

Two comments ...

First, and you know this will fix EVERY instance of this -- how?? I'm asking because I read on another thread that JB required a kludge to access external SD cards because it can not do that natively. So, if it can't even access the card without hacking, I fail to see how such an upgrade is going to fix this problem.

Second, for folks in the US, and on Verizon, they can NOT update their firmware (at least, to JB) because that has not yet been released.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, I had this problem on TWO Sg3s -- they both fried SD cards and corrupted their internal file systems.

I'm on my THIRD one now, and it's starting to display file system error messages.

So, there is a SERIOUS problem with this phone and the handling of SD cards.

uncbutterfly

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem as well. I'm on my 2nd card and am getting the "card unexpectedly removed" errors again. I'm curious to know if anyone that has had this problem switched to a Samsung sd card?

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep same same problem with my card to but with the added problem of the Media Scanner service switching on draining my battery every time my card becomes unrecognised/recognised.

EDIT: Hacked off with this now, have ordered a Sandisk 32gb class 4 as opposed to what I have which is 32gb class 10 UHS card, see what what happens with that.

Last edited:

tastytoast

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Happens to my S3 too. Randomly when I turn on the phone it gives the error msg. Also when I xfer files from PC to phone, it disconnects randomly. Terrible.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I took the battery out then put a 64g SDXC card in. I did not format the card. It was good to go as is.
Maybe a piece of tape on top of the card will help with the contacts.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

MajesticSingh

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I too having this problem on my Note 2. I always take the SD Card out when the phone is out just to make sure it isn't reading or writing. So I know it hasn't been ejected while its reading or writing to the SD card. Done a quick format and full format on the pc. Firmware upto date, and also ran HD Tune Pro with checkdisk and benchmark. Ran the usual tests that I would run on any harddrive and its all fine :S its formatted at Fat32, exactly the same card works on a Galaxy S2 :S

Kevin Hukom

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem in my SG Note 2, it constantly says SD card removed unexpectedly then after a while it goes to work again. My music files are all there so when I make a playlist, it always gets deleted and it's very annoying. please help. THANKS!

leanneleg

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I"ve been having the same problem on and off as well. Samsung says it's not a known issue and there have been no other reports (yeah right!) and Best Buy says they have had a bunch of phones returned for the same reason.... Mine, so far, has always started working again. From all the reading I have done on the issue, it sounds like it will eventually just die and not come back.. So for now, I have the camera save to the phone so I don't lose my pics.