SD not inserted

Tim Higham

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
My Samsung S10 Note + is having problems with SD cards.
I have tried several and keep getting the same issue.
When powered up the files are all there and its accessible for read/write options.
However after an hour or so I simply get message (File Manager) that no SD card is inserted, however rebooting phone shows the SD card again.
I have tried a few cards (tho 1 is now corrupt) most are fixed by reboot.
I have tried Recovery Boot and clearing app cache, but this did not resolve.

Any thoughts welcome thanks.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
First you named like 3 different phones so hopefully this is in the right place. LOL.

And before we go too much farther, welcome to Android Central. The S10 is a great phone and I haven't seen any posts complaining that they are having issues with SD cards. Same for the Note 10. Anyway this could be caused by something like a bad app and the way you describe the issue that's the way I'm leaning. Everything is OK right after formatting the card, it also works when the phone is restarted, and after a few the issue pops ups. Kind of like something opened or happened in the background like an app opening or something. One way to begin troubleshooting this is to see if the issue occurs in Safe Mode. If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode it likely points to a bad app. To get into Safe Mode, press and hold the power button until you get the options to power down, restart or go into emergency mode, then press and hold power off until the option for Safe Mode appears, tap that and allow the device to reboot. Since your issue happens over time, check to see that the SD card is shown and then wait and see if the thing happens where it doesn't see it anymore. If the time passes and the SD remains then there is a good chance it is related to a bad app.

If nothing happens in Safe Mode. I mean the card remains visible and doesn't require a restart to get it back or anything. I would go to your Permission Manager and remove permission from all apps for Files and Media. This is the permission that allows apps to access and make changes to your storage. Whatever app is causing this issue likely has this permission. Don't worry this is not forever and will correct itself naturally over time. Removing this permission will cause any app that needs this permission to ask for the permission again the next time you open the app or the next time that app needs access your storage. It will be like using the app for the first time all over again. If the issue goes away after removing the permission you'll have to be a detective for a while. Apps that need that permission will ask for it again and as apps request permission to access your storage keep track of which ones ask and when. If the issue returns more than likely it was one of the last apps to request permission. From there you can decide which ones to keep, toss or deny permission to.

Something to consider,
Have you downloaded any apps from a random place online, someplace that is not the Play Store, Amazon App Store or the Galaxy Store? If so those would be the apps I'd look at first. App stores outside of the ones I've named may not screen apps as well as the big boys. There could also be problems with the apps themselves, this is one reason I recommend sticking with the mainstream providers and being very cautious about accepting anything from other places.

Let us know what you find.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have the S10+ or Note10+?

Another possibility is that your SD cards are counterfeit. Did you get them all from the same place, or from different places? Were they big name retailers, or random online sellers? Counterfeit cards are pretty common, and are much smaller in storage size than they state -- so when the device tries to save more to the card than it can actually hold, the card will crash or corrupt.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I recommend only buying SD cards made by Samsung and SanDisk. If online from Amazon only from Amazon itself, not from 3rd party sellers. I also recommend completely avoiding ebay, since many dishonest sellers there peddle counterfeit SD cards.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My Samsung S10 Note + is having problems with SD cards.
I have tried several and keep getting the same issue.
When powered up the files are all there and its accessible for read/write options.
However after an hour or so I simply get message (File Manager) that no SD card is inserted, however rebooting phone shows the SD card again.
I have tried a few cards (tho 1 is now corrupt) most are fixed by reboot.
I have tried Recovery Boot and clearing app cache, but this did not resolve.

Any thoughts welcome thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend following @VidJunky idea. I would also go as far as saying there are limited apps that truly need access to the SD card. One is your file manager, another is your camera, finally your photo gallery. Anything else shouldn't really need it. As far as VidJunky's idea that removing all permissions, it's a good idea especially since now you would be paying closer attention to apps making the request, is deny anything else that doesn't fit those apps.

If anyone has any other ideas for apps that would reasonably need SD access by all means, suggest them. Those 3 are the only ones I can think of for the time being.

Tim Higham

Jul 8, 2022
Visit site
Its a Samsung Galaxy S10 Note+. Thanks for you advice, is there a way to bulk remove the permissions from all apps. Its a very long list otherwise !!

Not sure its a counterfeit issue, affected cards are a variety from one I had a while and reliable, to new ones. A good reminder however that these fakes are out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Its a Samsung Galaxy S10 Note+. Thanks for you advice, is there a way to bulk remove the permissions from all apps. Its a very long list otherwise !!

There is no S10 Note+. There's an S10+ and a Note10+. Go to your Settings>About Phone​ menu -- what model is listed there?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Not sure its a counterfeit issue, affected cards are a variety from one I had a while and reliable, to new ones. A good reminder however that these fakes are out there.
You would have to do that in every app unfortunately its not like older Samsung you can remove apps data in bulk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781